Driver training surprise.

Oh4ore

I went to driving school back in OCT and was thrown blind onto a route in the second week of DEC. Nightmare! Since then I have been driving a variation of that route when needed. Haven't made scratch. I've been thrown blind on routes and been out for 12 hours, had work taken off, and ran lunches. Two weeks ago I was put on a training route with a sup. On the second day things fell through had to run the last half blind due to an emergency.
I drove a couple of more days in between on a route I was more familiar with, still not considered a training route.
Finally, this past Tuesday, put on another training route. The sup drove it the 1st day and the second he said to run the beginning alone and he'd meet up with me. Not doing well at at. Yesterday, he starts filling out the driver training manual for the first time. It seems that I have around 20 days of driving since the 15th of Jan. Now with 9 days left, it looks like I am going to be disqualified. His logic being that I haven't picked up on things yet because parts of the training route I should know. Possibly, but in my defense, aren't I supposed to have run a dedicated training route that is relatively consistent for 30 days?
The things I have run before were picking up slack and junk from other routes. Not sure what my options are. The sup. says he doesn't want to DQ me, but see if he can put me on a a hiatus. Whatever that means. So, around 20 days on road w/o a training route now I have 9 days to qualify on a route of which half I know, but not properly trained on and the other half totally in the dark about. Any suggestions?

upschuck

On the second day things fell through had to run the last half blind due to an emergency.
There is always an emergency, and that emergency is that his office chair is getting cold.
Possibly, but in my defense, aren't I supposed to have run a dedicated training route that is relatively consistent for 30 days?
Yes, all days should be on same route.
The sup. says he doesn't want to DQ me, but see if he can put me on a hiatus. Whatever that means.
I guessing he wants your days to elapse, so he can start your 30 days over, instead of DQ'ing you, when in reality since you've been bounce around, you should be qualified. He thinks he is doing you a favor.
but not properly trained on and the other half totally in the dark about
I have never been properly trained on anything at UPS. You will not learn the route very well with a sup on car with you; you use them as a crutch instead of learning it yourself.

Being sent out blind repeatedly and actually making it back in one piece means you're in regardless of scratch. They love guys like you who they can throw on any trash route and get it done. If you had called in with an unfinished route crying because you couldn't do the job then I'd worry.

Welcome to the world of the professional swing diver.

Oh4ore

Sure, I got it done. Poorly. My Sup.'s logic is that I should know how to run what I'm already familiar with. His idea of being familiar with part of the route is having already run the businesses for a week without being trained on where to make deliveries, where to park, knowing what addresses on the Diad match up to what. He feels that once you run a neighborhood, you should be able to do it next day, no problem. He can. It comes down to them seeing me on this route for a week or so, and not making it. Trained or not. Secondly, I know he's going to back date the training log. I signed before I realized what he was doing. I went to date it and he said not to. Needless to say no more signatures. If I'm not driver material, fine I get it. I just want to have the opportunity to fail on my own and not be set up to fail. Got to get with the steward this week and see what options there are. Does anybody know what happens if a driver is not DQ'd, but not qualified?

Sent using BrownCafe App

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Sure, I got it done. Poorly. My Sup.'s logic is that I should know how to run what I'm already familiar with. His idea of being familiar with part of the route is having already run the businesses for a week without being trained on where to make deliveries, where to park, knowing what addresses on the Diad match up to what. He feels that once you run a neighborhood, you should be able to do it next day, no problem. He can. It comes down to them seeing me on this route for a week or so, and not making it. Trained or not. Secondly, I know he's going to back date the training log. I signed before I realized what he was doing. I went to date it and he said not to. Needless to say no more signatures. If I'm not driver material, fine I get it. I just want to have the opportunity to fail on my own and not be set up to fail. Got to get with the steward this week and see what options there are. Does anybody know what happens if a driver is not DQ'd, but not qualified?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Bad news is "being set up to fail" is a common practice nowadays. Cutting routes 10 minutes before start time. Crazy splits. Airs all over. Listen , it's not gonna get better. It's gonna get worse. Good day:backingout:

UPSGUY72

Sent using BrownCafe App

Your problem is that your apparently get package fever every time you go out. Your SUP is right you should be able to do an area you have already done especially doing them for a week. You have a DIAD that tell you the address and a map what the problem. Your are suppose to get a couple of days of training depending on the difficulty of the route not 30 days...

This isn't rocket science your thinking to much. If you not sure where to deliver a business that you haven't been to before you go in the front door and ask. Parking isn't hard either you park were ever it safe as close to the delivery point as possible if that mean double parking so be it.

This job isn't for everyone no matter how bad you want to be a driver you have to be able to adapt and overcome. That being said some people just don't have it in them to bust ass for 30 to make book...

Oh4ore

Ultimately, I'm just venting. I've been with UPS as a package handler for 14 years now. I know the culture. I figured that since I wasn't going to leave the company I'd might as well go b@lls deep and give driving a shot. I should know by now what should happen at UPS and what does are two very different things.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Pooter

Sounds like you've been driving for a while so you should be able to scratch in the next 9 days. I mean you survived peak even if you did poorly. That's massive experience right there.

Sounds like you given up. Don't quit. 9 days left means step it up. All that management garbage IS part of driving. You are on your own to clean it up.

If you get DQ. Come back stronger next time. Hell, pick up Sat Air while you wait.

JL 0513

It's BS that you have been thrown around during your 30 day. Your development can't be accurately gauged under such conditions. No one can come close to scratching a route when you've only run it a few times. Especially business heavy ones (because it takes time to learn the in's and out's of each business). So you're never going to look like a competent driver if you aren't given a good 2 weeks on it to show progression.

It is true though that you aren't guaranteed a full 30 days. If you still suck after 2 weeks and aren't showing any development, they can drop you at their discretion. But it should be on a single route.

Sometimes it can be unfair too. And this is often based on how you were during your years as a PT'er. I've seen guys who were screwed over because they weren't professional as a PT'er. It could be something like a bad attendance record or even a level of immaturity.

Some guys they want from the beginning, others they know they don't want. My center manager gave me an extra fighting chance because I unloaded trucks as a PT'er faster than he'd ever seen. Even though I struggled at first due to no driver experience at all and completely no area knowledge as it's an hour from where I live, he made sure I'd make it. On the other hand, I saw a guy dropped because he couldn't recite his next 5 stops whenever asked. I was never asked that. They create reasons to drop you if they think you won't be a good driver for the company.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Some routes have really bad time studies. Did you talk to the shop steward about the route you are doing? I can't see how they can judge someone doing splits everyday.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
How did you make It?....dirty knees?

8uqjOZl.gif

Oh4ore

Some routes have really bad time studies. Did you talk to the shop steward about the route you are doing? I can't see how they can judge someone doing splits everyday.
Just brought it up last week. Not the route in particular, but the whole qualification process. I kept hearing that I was going to be put on a "Training Route." Happened last week with 9 days to go. So, I'll have to discuss the particulars with the shop steward this week.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Just brought it up last week. Not the route in particular, but the whole qualification process. I kept hearing that I was going to be put on a "Training Route." Happened last week with 9 days to go. So, I'll have to discuss the particulars with the shop steward this week.

Ask around. For sure, drivers know these routes. Make sure you are on one steady route. Talk to someone who knows that route for some hints.

S

selfcancelsignal

In our center now, it seems like pretty much all you can qualify on is junk.

The guy that qualified before me did junk, I had a training route part of the time, & junk the rest. The guy below me (outside) did the same training route I did the whole time he qualified. The next 2 guys (1 outside, 1 inside)... junk.

The last guy had a real tough time qualifying as he started just before peak & they weren't coming close to putting him on the same junk day in & day out. Was told recently he qualified, but hasn't gotten the pay increase yet. It's been grieved.

Curious if this is due to the pending contract? Wouldn't think so 'cause the previous 2 guys qualified after Aug. 1st & both got the pay increase. Feel bad for all of them 'cause they'll most likely be the 1st 4 yr. progression guys at our center. I'm prob. the last 3 yr. guy.

Sent from the 64GB US Cellular iPhone 5S of selfcancelsignal