Drivers getting disqualified

FedExer267

Terminal is out of control. They are now telling Contractors their drivers will be disqualified if there trucks do not pass inspection. How is this the drivers problem should this not be up to the contractor to make sure his vehicles are up to snuff?

We all do are post and pre trips if their is a problem we let the Contractor know. I personally will not leave the building if my truck is unsafe. However if things happen on route like a tail light or blinker goes out how can we be held responsible for that. When you drive for a Contractor they wait til the last possible minute to change out tires and do any maintenance because its just another cost.

Disqualifying drivers for what Contractors are not doing is just plain wrong. So now it comes from both ends the Contractor threatens your job if you dont drive and FedEx inspects the vehicles if they are under par you are disqualified.

I dont know what my terminal is up to however they cannot get drivers in the door because the professional driver they are looking for will not work for whats being offered in compensation and they are turning away people left and right because they have no experience in the last 6 months. Plus they are telling the Contractors to get out of the trucks and hire another driver or their contracts will not be renewed. It must be really nice to own your own business.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Terminal is out of control. They are now telling Contractors their drivers will be disqualified if there trucks do not pass inspection. How is this the drivers problem should this not be up to the contractor to make sure his vehicles are up to snuff?

We all do are post and pre trips if their is a problem we let the Contractor know. I personally will not leave the building if my truck is unsafe. However if things happen on route like a tail light or blinker goes out how can we be held responsible for that. When you drive for a Contractor they wait til the last possible minute to change out tires and do any maintenance because its just another cost.

Disqualifying drivers for what Contractors are not doing is just plain wrong. So now it comes from both ends the Contractor threatens your job if you dont drive and FedEx inspects the vehicles if they are under par you are disqualified.

I dont know what my terminal is up to however they cannot get drivers in the door because the professional driver they are looking for will not work for whats being offered in compensation and they are turning away people left and right because they have no experience in the last 6 months. Plus they are telling the Contractors to get out of the trucks and hire another driver or their contracts will not be renewed. It must be really nice to own your own business.

Interesting how "independent" contractors are scrutinized so closely by FedEx management. After all, they are totally independent right? So if Jethro shows-up driving the Clampett's truck to deliver Ground freight, why should FedEx care? On the drivers. More of FedEx(the corporation) telling "independent" business people exactly how to run their business. A command and control company likes to keep everything in-line with their standards, which are in direct conflict with contractors setting their own. Independent, my ass...

bbsam

Staff member
How would an hourly employee know what "independence" is? That it doesn't pass the "MFE test" means little.

vantexan

How would an hourly employee know what "independence" is? That it doesn't pass the "MFE test" means little.

This hourly employee will move to where his pension will support him. You'll be licking boots until you're 80 to maintain your lifestyle. FREEDOMMMM!!!!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

My side business is real estate. I'm truly an independent contractor when I work selling or buying a property. I work both sides of the fence.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This hourly employee will move to where his pension will support him. You'll be licking boots until you're 80 to maintain your lifestyle. FREEDOMMMM!!!!!

Interesting that FedEx is furiously working to change a business model that's completely "legal", isn't it? Why force contractors out of the driver's seat? They are worried.

vantexan

Interesting that FedEx is furiously working to change a business model that's completely "legal", isn't it? Why force contractors out of the driver's seat? They are worried.

And that they are trying so hard to maintain a system that is so exploitive says everything about prospects for a better future at Express.

packageguy

Sorry to say this but you work for them, You guys breaking your ass
everyday, for them to do and say that is wrong. You guys should have a sick out

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sorry to say this but you work for them, You guys breaking your ass
everyday, for them to do and say that is wrong. You guys should have a sick out

I've pushed for a massive case of Purple Flu for a long time, but it probably won't happen due to the massive intimidation by management. They've had 35 years to construct a union-proof environment at Express, and they are excellent at instilling fear into most employees. Again, the folks who could really send a message are the RTD's because they have direct control over all of the inbound freight at most locations. Park a few CTV's for an hour or two, and you'd see management freak-out in a massive way. Get more than a few to do it, and there would be pure bedlam.

I used to be an RTD, and stay in contact with a bunch of them. Most of these folks are very senior and not very happy with the current state of affairs.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Unlike a FedEx Ground "contractor", a real estate agent is actually independent of the organization with whom they are affiliated. My broker can tell me whatever he wants, and then I do the polar opposite if I feel like it. Try that at Ground and see where that goes, OK?

bbsam

Staff member
My side business is real estate. I'm truly an independent contractor when I work selling or buying a property. I work both sides of the fence.

My side business is...oh...I don't have one. Plenty of time for one, just, well you know...don't need the money, don't want the extra head ache.

bbsam

Staff member
So you see a mass exodus from both Ground and Express then. And when will that begin and where will you be going? Just remember whereever it is be grateful and don't gag on the manna.

vantexan

So you see a mass exodus from both Ground and Express then. And when will that begin and where will you be going? Just remember whereever it is be grateful and don't gag on the manna.

Don't know how you extrapolate that. But you just keep striving for that American Dream. It keeps the currency more valuable than many currencies and makes it possible to live decently on little. And keep telling yourself it'll all be worth it someday. I'd rather be poor than to exploit others for money. You don't seem to have such moral qualms.

bbsam

Staff member
Exploit? Move down to Central America and post from there when you see the true meaning of exploitation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Don't know how you extrapolate that. But you just keep striving for that American Dream. It keeps the currency more valuable than many currencies and makes it possible to live decently on little. And keep telling yourself it'll all be worth it someday. I'd rather be poor than to exploit others for money. You don't seem to have such moral qualms.

Most successful businessmen don't have moral qualms.

vantexan

Exploit? Move down to Central America and post from there when you see the true meaning of exploitation.

Except I won't be doing the exploiting. And you'd be doing exactly what they do in Central America if laws here didn't prevent it. And Lord knows they're trying to get the laws changed here.