Drivers man...I have nothing but respect for you.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Oh I'm not trying to be the man. Yesterday I was sick as hell...couldn't keep water down and it was in the upper 80's. It got to the point to where I wasn't sweating much anymore. By about 12 though, I finally got some water and peanut butter crackers to stay down. I didn't want to call in sick in my 30 days, especially on the last day of the Mothers Day fiasco. One of the sups who does dispatch came to personally apologize to me for the dispatch on Thursday. That day was BS man. On a normal day, it's 95 stops, 300 pieces delivered, 200 picked up, 45 miles. I had 135 stops, 400 pieces delivered, 300 picked up, and 70 miles. Oh I have 33 pickups too that start at 2:30. My resis are 15 minutes away from the pickups so there's half an hour of just driving...easiest 12 bucks of the day. Either way, the guy said he'd never dispatch a normal driver that way and he felt horrible the way it turned out. That's fine though. The way I see it, if I can survive a training week during Mothers Day week and record heat, I think I'll be ok. Next week is back to normal...volume wise and weather wise. I'm probably the only person that looks forward to 60 degree weather.

Re-Raise

One of the sups who does dispatch came to personally apologize to me for the dispatch on Thursday. Either way, the guy said he'd never dispatch a normal driver that way and he felt horrible the way it turned out.

I would love to have a little talk with the person that dispatches our center. They make sure they are long gone before the drivers get there.

The best advice I have read on here for you is to stay relaxed and don't lose your focus, that is when accidents or injuries happen. They forget about everything else you can screw up as a new driver, but an accident is serious.

Hang in there, and remember what a senior driver told me when I first started, "You aren't the first one to ride that pony around here". Good luck.

Oh I'm not trying to be the man. Yesterday I was sick as hell...couldn't keep water down and it was in the upper 80's. It got to the point to where I wasn't sweating much anymore. By about 12 though, I finally got some water and peanut butter crackers to stay down. I didn't want to call in sick in my 30 days, especially on the last day of the Mothers Day fiasco. One of the sups who does dispatch came to personally apologize to me for the dispatch on Thursday. That day was BS man. On a normal day, it's 95 stops, 300 pieces delivered, 200 picked up, 45 miles. I had 135 stops, 400 pieces delivered, 300 picked up, and 70 miles. Oh I have 33 pickups too that start at 2:30. My resis are 15 minutes away from the pickups so there's half an hour of just driving...easiest 12 bucks of the day. Either way, the guy said he'd never dispatch a normal driver that way and he felt horrible the way it turned out. That's fine though. The way I see it, if I can survive a training week during Mothers Day week and record heat, I think I'll be ok. Next week is back to normal...volume wise and weather wise. I'm probably the only person that looks forward to 60 degree weather.
Ive taken my share of twelve dollar dumps.

Last edited:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
im the same way, job does get monotanous. I talk and listen to music all day on my cell phone. Get a good pair of blue tooths. Makes a big difference as you dont get as bored.

sortaisle

I think I may need to switch from Android to iOS. The battery life just can't be beat. Which kinda blows...I'm pretty well entrenched app wise on Android...Bluetooth would just suck the battery out of my phone...

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I think I may need to switch from Android to iOS. The battery life just can't be beat. Which kinda blows...I'm pretty well entrenched app wise on Android...Bluetooth would just suck the battery out of my phone... ​
for anybody that streams any king of music app like pandora- I found an app for my iPhone called scanner+. You can listen to police scanners from your local area or worldwide. One of the coolest features I found though was its also a music app. Dozens off music genres & stations.

ibleedbrown

listening to music on ur phone, how long does ur battery last? my battery only lasts like 3 1/2 hours listening to tunein radio. i have an android phone.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Samsung Galaxy Note 2. The battery lasts all day. I dont stream music all day as that will kill your battery. I listen to music that is stored on my sd card. Theres all kinds of ways to save your battery such as turning down brightness on screen and screen timeout length time. Also turning off your wifi on phone helps big time too. I have an app on it called easy battery saver. It has a couple different modes you can put your phone into. I keep it on super power saving mode. Only conversation and text messages saved,the lowest battery consumption. The Galaxy Note 2 is a badazz phone. Its a huge phone as it also has a huge battery.

sortaisle

I've still got 5 months left on contract. I have a Motorola Photon 4G. Don't need the 4G though as my area doesn't have 4G yet with Sprint. I don't know what I'm going to get next. Like I said, I am pretty invested into Android's apps. I do know that the App Store for iOS has better apps. They're games that I can't play because the developers don't want to write for two different OS's...maybe I'll stick with Android on my phone since I can customize the hell out of it. I'll just get an iPad mini when it comes out with the Retina display in October or whenever.

Indecisi0n

I've still got 5 months left on contract. I have a Motorola Photon 4G. Don't need the 4G though as my area doesn't have 4G yet with Sprint. I don't know what I'm going to get next. Like I said, I am pretty invested into Android's apps. I do know that the App Store for iOS has better apps. They're games that I can't play because the developers don't want to write for two different OS's...maybe I'll stick with Android on my phone since I can customize the hell out of it. I'll just get an iPad mini when it comes out with the Retina display in October or whenever.

I have been an Apple fanboy for a while not but was thinking of going Andriod with my next upgrade. I am just so hooked on the IOS because it easily integrates with all my other Apple products. I don't download tons of apps but use it daily for maps and directions and the IOS does really well with this. At the same time I love how you can customize Andriod phones.

tiredofhelping

Drivers work their balls off. No offense to the ladies, but if you rock this job, then you have earned an honorary set. There's so much more brain usage in driving than you'd think...especially on those bad load days...those suck. Today was awful. I know it's not much to some of ya out there, but I delivered 113 stops, 375 pieces, picked up 200 and had 70 miles. I fought my load for the first hour because I had nowhere else to put the packages. I sincerely hope that first overtime laden paycheck makes this all worth it. Tomorrow is a new day and damnit...a better one! I learned something else today...I wanted to quit...lots today. But at the end of the day, I looked back on it, and it wasn't so bad. I got better at my resis, and I know what to break for now. Training on Mothers Day weekend during record heat blows, but it's gotta make it better in the long run. That's long enough. Mad respect for the drivers though...mad respect.

Have you gotten your five days of running scratch in yet?

S

serenity now

I have been an Apple fanboy for a while not but was thinking of going Andriod with my next upgrade. I am just so hooked on the IOS because it easily integrates with all my other Apple products. I don't download tons of apps but use it daily for maps and directions and the IOS does really well with this. At the same time I love how you can customize Andriod phones.

so glad i'm not shackled with the latest technology, upgrades, patches, apps, and all that other crap * just want to make a call *

sortaisle

Have you gotten your five days of running scratch in yet?
I barely have 5 days in...lol. Training on Mothers Day week is probably going to be a blessing in disguise. That's a rough week to start and next week may be a little easier since I pushed through the stress of this week. I feel like Friday if I wasn't throwing up all over the place, I would have finished all my stops...would have been about 105 which puts that route in the red. But I gave away 25 anyway. The 25 I gave up went on that guys route anyway. I think next week I'll do much better.

sortaisle

The rumors are not this iOS upgrade but the next one will let you customize your look a lot more. The new one is going with a flat look instead of the shine that's on it now. If you jailbreak your phone, you can do a lot more with it. I had an iPod touch once with Cydia on it and it was fun enough.