Drivers Threatened

FedExer267

So I am out delivering yesterday and I am stopped by a sherriff. Thinking to myself What did I do? The sherriff approaches me and asks for a few minutes of my time. He asks if I was on a paticular street that day I tell him no I was not but it could of been Home Delivery or Express.
The man that lives on this paticular street called my terminal and told them if he sees any Fed Ex vehicle on his street again he is going to shoot us.
I have had run ins with this guy before he starts yelling at anyone that drives by his house he has done it to all Fed Ex drivers and The Ups driver as well. The man is definatley a few cards short of a full deck.
I am concerned because I heard this straight from the Sheriff however when I got back to the terminal No one at Fed Ex said a word to me and I still have not heard from my contractor. Is this how they really feel about us it is straight up ridiculous. I have a wife and kids to come home too and Fed Ex can not even tell me that I have been apparently threatned. I am wondering if they even told the Home delivery guy or the Express guy.
I guess all I can do is refuse to deliver any packages on his street.
Any advice?

D

Dis-organized Labor

What is he upset over? Anything in particular?
Didn't the Sheriff talk with the guy?

FedExer267

He lives on a private road he has been fueding with his neighbor where we always deliver.. Last time I checked a package with an address gives us the right to be there. Not sure why he was upset when he called and made the threat but in the past he has yelled at me because my truck is to loud. So sorry I am not a mechanic and I dont play one on TV I just go to where the packages are addressed I am a driver...LOL

UnconTROLLed

perfection
A driver on the route I was working had the same problem. The man said he would shoot the driver if he came by again. The driver called the police and straightened it out, never heard from the crazy man again.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If FedEx follows standard operating procedure, you'll get shot, and then they will follow-up with the police. This is a company that is so risk-averse that they will contact FedEx Legal before they do anything to protect you. I would refuse to go down the street, and then request that a manager make the delivery instead if they try to force you to do it. Ask for a cop to be present...whatever it takes.Make sure you say you are "threatened" and "at-risk" and any other legal terms that you can dredge-up to protect yourself if they toss "job abandonment" at you from their threat repertoire.

Remember, you're just the warm body that drives the truck...you don't matter. But crazy boy might have a relative that works for a company that is a huge FedEx customer.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
He lives on a private road he has been fueding with his neighbor where we always deliver.. Last time I checked a package with an address gives us the right to be there. Not sure why he was upset when he called and made the threat but in the past he has yelled at me because my truck is to loud. So sorry I am not a mechanic and I dont play one on TV I just go to where the packages are addressed I am a driver...LOL

This brings up an interesting angle on the employee vs contractor issue. Do you report this to the guy who owns your truck, OR the FedEx Corporation? Since FedEx doesn't consider you as an "employee" perhaps they could care less about your personal safety....it's up to the "contractor" to fend for themselves, and their drivers.

I really doubt they would notify either the Express courier or the Home driver, which is crazy because the psycho probably can't tell one from the other, just like half the general public. "FedEx Cares"....not.

Maybe you could carry a defensive weapon. Oh, that's right...FedEx forbids weapons, but you don't "work" for FedEx, do you? Hmmmm

Where are you, bbsam?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would be upset with the police for not hauling the crazy in, not Fedex.

The question here is, had the OP not been notified by the Sheriff, would FedEx have told him about this guy and then advised him as to what he should do? If it were me I would most certainly want to know if there is a looney out there with a grudge against delivery drivers.

FedExer267

All excellent points I am waiting to see if they do say anything to me because if I do get a package on that road I am not delivering it. I don't know if it was Express or Home Delivery I know it was not me however people cant tell the diffrence anyways and I for one am not putting my life at risk to deliver a package for a contractor that pays me peanuts with no benefits. If this looney makes a threat like this who knows what he is capable of.. Working for a contractor is not worth my life so he can deliver the package himself..

bbsam

Staff member
This brings up an interesting angle on the employee vs contractor issue. Do you report this to the guy who owns your truck, OR the FedEx Corporation? Since FedEx doesn't consider you as an "employee" perhaps they could care less about your personal safety....it's up to the "contractor" to fend for themselves, and their drivers.

I really doubt they would notify either the Express courier or the Home driver, which is crazy because the psycho probably can't tell one from the other, just like half the general public. "FedEx Cares"....not.

Maybe you could carry a defensive weapon. Oh, that's right...FedEx forbids weapons, but you don't "work" for FedEx, do you? Hmmmm

Where are you, bbsam?
Here I am.:happy2: I wouldn't deliver the package. "Hold at location" would be the rule. I've had shippers cuss at my drivers and call me to report it. My next call was to the terminal to let them know that the pick up would not be made until a different attitude were displayed by the shipper. It's that simple. I expect professionalism from my drivers, but I don't intend to take that kind of crap from anyone, customer or not. I would continue to press the issue with law enforcement.

FedExer267

Here I am.:happy2: I wouldn't deliver the package. "Hold at location" would be the rule. I've had shippers cuss at my drivers and call me to report it. My next call was to the terminal to let them know that the pick up would not be made until a different attitude were displayed by the shipper. It's that simple. I expect professionalism from my drivers, but I don't intend to take that kind of crap from anyone, customer or not. I would continue to press the issue with law enforcement.
That is what I intend to do.. I will not go down that street for anything. It would just be nice If my contractor or Fed Ex would tell me whats going on.. Having to hear it from the cops is ridiculous.. Are the just trying to sweep it under the rug? taking the attitude that they dont give a crap and if I don't know whats up the packages will get delivered. I mean don't the have a obligation to let the drivers know they have been threatned?

bbsam

Staff member
Who called the cops? Your assertion that Fedex and the contractor "don't care" sounds a little like Fedex bashing. Somehow law enforcement was alerted and Fedex has been alerted. It's possible that the address in question already has a "Hold at Location" status applied to it. Finally, not to be too critical, but communication is a two way street and you can begin the conversation. No need to wait for the company or the contractor...unless you like being a victim.

FedExer267

The point I am making Bbsam is that if I am out delivering and there is a threat against Myself as well as Home delivery and Express shouldnt we get a phone call to let us know what is up and not to go down that street. If the cop never pulled me over I would of never known therefor I could of ended up in a sticky situation not having a clue. I personally feel that Fed Ex or the contractor should of notified every driver immediately. They should have a obligation to keep us safe and ensure that we get home to our families. I would like to see them explain themselves to my wife and children If something did happen to me without them letting me know. Lets get this straight right now I am no victim and I refuse to be one if they dont say anything to me be sure they will here it from me tomorrow when I refuse to go anywhere near that guys house. Working at FedEx ground is not worth my safety

FedExer267

If you do decide you are no longer going to deliver on that road please make a courtesy call to the consignee to let him know why.
Dont worry Upstate I am not a typical FedEx driver be sure my costumers on that road will get a call from me to enlighten them on the situation which is more than I got. I wonder if the Express guy got a call after all he atleast is a employee:happy2: I will have to ask him tomorrow

bbsam

Staff member
The point I am making Bbsam is that if I am out delivering and there is a threat against Myself as well as Home delivery and Express shouldnt we get a phone call to let us know what is up and not to go down that street. If the cop never pulled me over I would of never known therefor I could of ended up in a sticky situation not having a clue. I personally feel that Fed Ex or the contractor should of notified every driver immediately. They should have a obligation to keep us safe and ensure that we get home to our families. I would like to see them explain themselves to my wife and children If something did happen to me without them letting me know. Lets get this straight right now I am no victim and I refuse to be one if they dont say anything to me be sure they will here it from me tomorrow when I refuse to go anywhere near that guys house. Working at FedEx ground is not worth my safety
I agree. Now go tell the contractor and the center manager.

FedExer267

I agree. Now go tell the contractor and the center manager.
Like I said they will hear it in the morning. I also intend to ask if my life isnt worth getting a package delivered. The whole situation was handled poorly any other company would of let us know immediately to insure we were safe they would of had us will call the package.. On a positve note if they failed to tell me and something god forbid did happen to me my wife would be one rich lady>>>:peaceful:

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Unfortunately this again points out the inaccuracy of FedEx assertion that all three delivery co. are seperate. Its similar to that thread about the FedEx Ground truck involved in the accident, the article clearly states that a "FedEx" vehicle was involved in an accident not an "indepenantly owned and opperated vehicle contracted by FedEx to deliver ground parcels" was involved in an accident. Im not assuming rather or not FedEx does or doesnt care about you, but since you are not directly employed by them you are not thier first priority. Its too bad but its cases like this that clearly point out the disadvantages of the contractor scam for the driver. Maybe Bbscam can inlighten us in what FedEx does do to directly impact the safety and well being of the indavisual Ground driver.

FedExer267

I am pretty sure the headline woul read Fed Ex driver shot making delivery.. Not Independent contractor of the Fed Ex ground system formerly RPS shot making delivery. The old adage comes to mind if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck well we definately know its not a rooster...LOL