Drivers Working Preload (“Extra Work”) But Going Home After Poll

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by Overpaid Union Thug, Aug 13, 2019.

?

Is it ok when a driver works preload “extra work” then uses seniority to go home as an extra driver?

Poll closed Aug 15, 2019.
  1. No. They already reported to work therefore aren’t an extra driver.

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. Yes, seniority rules.

13 vote(s)
    61.9%
  3. It’s not a contract violation but is morally wrong. They are screwing others out of extra work.

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Well-Known Member

This is currently an issue in several of the buildings in our local. To me the language (National and Southern) seems silent on the issue. Some argue seniority. Others argue that having worked preload means the driver has already made themself available to drive. Some feel that, at the very least, it’s screwing other people (that didn’t get the call to work) out of extra work/OT. I figured I poll BC.

2. UnconTROLLed

UnconTROLLed perfection

Anyone who is unavailable to drive should have called in. I don't see what working preload has to do with availability

3. gman042

gman042 Been around the block a few times

Extra work is extra work
    They get that option because they have the seniority
    Seniority also affords you the right to work NOT the right not to work.
    If you reported to work then you are available to work and should not get the option to go home unless you are out of hours

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

So you believe if they are sending home drivers that drivers shouldn't be allowed to use seniority to get time off if wanted?

I disagree. Seniority rules

5. Jkloc420

Jkloc420 Well-Known Member

usually if a full time driver is working preload it means there is no driving work for him or her. Not to mention i have never seen a full time driver come in on preload then go drive for 8 hours after

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  6. Jkloc420

this is a dumb question

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  7. UnconTROLLed

UnconTROLLed perfection

Depends on the supplement. Here, vlo's are not by seniority but by mgmt favorites. Union says tough luck. However other supplements (southern? Atlantic?) Has VLO's by seniority

8. UnconTROLLed

UnconTROLLed perfection

We have drivers routinely start at 5-6-7am, make 1.5x until their start time then pull a route. Preload has a call-in list they must exhaust before sups can work

9. 542thruNthru

Management has tried to play the "seniority gives you the right to work" card but we file and win.

Seniority is everything in this job and a 58yo beat up driver shouldn't have to work because some 22yo cover would like to go drink.
    Screenshot_20190813-105029_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

10. UnconTROLLed

UnconTROLLed perfection

Seniority does not give you the right to not work here. It goes by favorites

11. Jkloc420

are full time drivers come in with preload if they work at 3 or 4 am

12. UnconTROLLed

UnconTROLLed perfection

Huh?

13. Jkloc420

are preload starts at 3 or 4 am, drivers have to come in at that time

14. 542thruNthru

I understood that from the first post. ;)

15. He is trying to say ( very poorly) are drivers working the entire preload shift and then doing a full route afterwards

16. 542thruNthru

Yes. We have a few here that come in when needed. They usually start at 4am. Off the clock at 6pm. Pisses our center management team off but they have the seniority.

17. Make the money while you can.

18. burrheadd

burrheadd KING Of GIFS

Best arse kissers first

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. UnconTROLLed

UnconTROLLed perfection

Oh I see. No, there is an extra work call-in list. If the preload is short staffed they start calling drivers at 5-6, so it might only be an hour or two of preload

20. gman042

gman042 Been around the block a few times

Hahaha

Or preload does not even start until 6
    We are lucky to get out of the building at 1015