DRIVING A PACKAGE CAR UP TO 63HRS A WEEK?!

turdbrown

I am a norcal pkg car driver. We have always been told that we can 'NEVER" work past 14HRS in a workday. MGMT forced all drivers to work Saturday because of heavy volume. We all came in to work the available hrs that we had available only to find out that MGMT had added our break time from the week to our available hours! Now we are being told that we can work/drive up to 63hrs a week! Even though DOT states that you can only be on the clock for a max of 14hrs. That includes any time on the clock including all brks and any lunches taken. Is this being told to any other centers? I notified the mgmt team that I was not going to violate the 60hr rule. Told them that if they instructed me to violate, I would so I wouldn't lose my job. Told them that I would grieve it. They talked about it and then said I could go home.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I am a norcal pkg car driver. We have always been told that we can 'NEVER" work past 14HRS in a workday. MGMT forced all drivers to work Saturday because of heavy volume. We all came in to work the available hrs that we had available only to find out that MGMT had added our break time from the week to our available hours! Now we are being told that we can work/drive up to 63hrs a week! Even though DOT states that you can only be on the clock for a max of 14hrs. That includes any time on the clock including all brks and any lunches taken. Is this being told to any other centers? I notified the mgmt team that I was not going to violate the 60hr rule. Told them that if they instructed me to violate, I would so I wouldn't lose my job. Told them that I would grieve it. They talked about it and then said I could go home.
Your break counts towards your 14 hours but not towards 60 hours worked.

UPS4Life

Breaks have always been logged off duty in feeders. So you could be on the road after 60hr 49min if you get a 10 minute break everyday. I'm not thrilled I think it's wrong, just my opinion, I'm sure a lawyer would know when you run into someone after being on the clock more then 60 hours in a week.

HOWEVER, I don't know about package car but feeders is running on the 70hr/8day work week now so essential if you start at the same time you could work 6 days a week and get 34 off. I'm not in PC but I would assume all hour rules apply. Seems like PC is a little more flexible with the 30min meal before 8hr?

Breaks have always been logged off duty in feeders. So you could be on the road after 60hr 49min if you get a 10 minute break everyday. I'm not thrilled I think it's wrong, just my opinion, I'm sure a lawyer would know when you run into someone after being on the clock more then 60 hours in a week.

HOWEVER, I don't know about package car but feeders is running on the 70hr/8day work week now so essential if you start at the same time you could work 6 days a week and get 34 off. I'm not in PC but I would assume all hour rules apply. Seems like PC is a little more flexible with the 30min meal before 8hr?
Depends on how far your run is. If it's under 100miles (I think) the 30 minutes before 8 hours doesn't apply

UPS4Life

I was under the impression under 100 miles don't have to log a lunch since they don't run log books but are still required to take a lunch before 8. That's how I was explained it by nobody important.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was under the impression under 100 miles don't have to log a lunch since they don't run log books but are still required to take a lunch before 8. That's how I was explained it by nobody important.

We are required to take at least a 30 minute meal break before our 8 hours, regardless of miles from the center.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
We are required to take at least a 30 minute meal break before our 8 hours, regardless of miles from the center.
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/395.1
(e) Short-haul operations —(1) 100 air-mile radius driver . A driver is exempt from the requirements of § 395.8 if:

(i) The driver operates within a 100 air-mile radius of the normal work reporting location;

(ii) The driver, except a driver-salesperson, returns to the work reporting location and is released from work within 12 consecutive hours;

UPS4Life

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/395.1
(e) Short-haul operations —(1) 100 air-mile radius driver . A driver is exempt from the requirements of § 395.8 if:

(i) The driver operates within a 100 air-mile radius of the normal work reporting location;

(ii) The driver, except a driver-salesperson, returns to the work reporting location and is released from work within 12 consecutive hours;
So my understanding is clocked out before your 12th hour from punching in. If you come back on property and punch out 12.25 and you didn't meal is that a violation?

UPS4Life

That's how I read it, I dunno though I'm not a lawyer. It seems unnecessarily complicated to me.
The whole meal thing is complicated due to all the provisions within it. Personally I think if you drive for a constant 8 hours sure you need a 30 minute break. But if you drive 2 or 3 hours and stop on property drop and hook go to the bathroom stretch the legs and on property for 30 or 40 minutes personally I think that should be sufficient.

So since this thread took a hard turn towards meal is package in the 70/8 rule?

The whole meal thing is complicated due to all the provisions within it. Personally I think if you drive for a constant 8 hours sure you need a 30 minute break. But if you drive 2 or 3 hours and stop on property drop and hook go to the bathroom stretch the legs and on property for 30 or 40 minutes personally I think that should be sufficient.

So since this thread took a hard turn towards meal is package in the 70/8 rule?
No.

PT Car Washer

I worked 8 consecutive days last week under 70 hours.