Driving before 21?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
They wanted college students expecting them to quit UPS after they graduated. They didn't want career part timers.
i was told at tha the time that every part timer was a potential driver and every driver was a potential for management( this was WAY back in the days when going into management was a big accomplishment) and UPs only wanted to hire the "best and brightest"
yeah that was a long time ago

Box Ox

Don't forget the ORS....

I think a good ORS is like a decision making Yoda at smaller locations. So if he/she accidentally has too many beers, untrained Luke Skywalker-minded CMs have to make decisions alone and can't raise their sunken X-wings out of the swamp. We need you sober!

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I think a good ORS is like a decision making Yoda at smaller locations. So if he/she accidentally has too many beers, untrained Luke Skywalker-minded CMs have to make decisions alone and can't raise their sunken X-wings out of the swamp. We need you sober!
Well shoot, you're no fun.

But I am stealing that.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I was working part time and had wanted to go full time for over 2 months. The hiring representative from Minneapolis told me flat out they didn't hire single guys for full time work. I informed them I was getting married on May 28th and I started full time June 2. It was as simple as that.
That would never fly now....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
They also wouldn't hire women back then for delivery (at least not here anyway) ----I didn't see a woman delivery driver until the late 70's.
Ha... If that happen now ups would get sued for millions... Probably get fined by the Feds too....how times change... What was ups' excuse for not hiring single guys into full time??

rod

Retired 22 years
Ha... If that happen now ups would get sued for millions... Probably get fined by the Feds too....how times change... What was ups' excuse for not hiring single guys into full time??

They wanted only married guys because they were deemed more reliable.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Come to think of it I can't remember any minorities hired at our center before 1980.
Yeah... How many black, Asian or Hispanic center managers or higher were employed by the company in the old days ... 1% ??? Maybe monkey butt can shed some light on this .... Didn't he mention one time that he was half black or something, or was it that he was hung like a black man???

rod

Retired 22 years
Doesn't help that Minnesota is about the whitest state in the country outside of Minneapolis/St Paul

We have always had a large population of American Indians but as far as I know only one ever applied for a job. He got the clerk job and was a great employee.