Driving bid wait time in Grand Rapids

wilberforce15

I have a friend who might be interested in working in the hub in Wyoming, MI (just outside of GR).

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone happen to know the average wait time for a full-time spot there?

Could I find out by calling their local? How else might I find out if nobody here is from that hub?

Upsmule

Always best to get hired at Christmas. Which begins late Sept early Oct. and Nov. these days :/ I was hired as a Christmas driver in Sept 1987. Was off for the month of January, and called back in Feb. Got 4 and a half years to go for my 30 and I'm gone!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I know someone that I think works in the Grand Rapids area. He's next in line to drive with something like 13-14 years in. Not sure if its that exact center or not.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I know someone that I think works in the Grand Rapids area. He's next in line to drive with something like 13-14 years in. Not sure if its that exact center or not.

Only one facility serves the entire Grand Rapids area. Several years back, it was featured on UPSers as UPS's most modern facility / a testbed for future facilities, with "robots" performing much of the work. Thus, it likely has considerably less PTers than most comparable UPS facilities. OTOH, Grand Rapids serves as an alternate hub to those in the Chicago area in transitioning packages from the Upper Midwest to the Lower Midwest so it probably has a fair number of PTers working in it. Given the local unemployment rate, I'd be skeptical of 4.5-5 year waits.

Useless triva...
UPS.com long ago switched to displaying actual cities (Wyoming, MI over Grand Rapids, MI; Hodgkins, IL over CACH) but I noticed that internally, Grand Rapids is being "re-branded" as Wyoming. The forever bags, load charts, misload charts, etc. now read Wyoming instead of Grand Rapids.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

That was my thought. A good union job in MI these days should have a line going out the door and down the street.

A good union job anywhere in the USA these days should have a line going out the door and down the street ;). Especially one that's among the top 10% of all paying individual jobs in the USA.

But I goofed. The Grand Rapids-area unemployment rate is a hair under the national rate.

UPSGUY72

The wait time to get a drivers position varies it all depends on who bids the position. One FT driver bid could see a lot of senior PTimers or 22.3 sign the bid while another ft driver bid could see no senior PTimers or 22.3 bid. So any numbers that anyone are throwing out are estimates.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

That was my thought. A good union job in MI these days should have a line going out the door and down the street.

A good union job anywhere in the USA these days should have a line going out the door and down the street ;). Especially one that's among the top 10% of all paying individual jobs in the USA.

But I goofed. The Grand Rapids-area unemployment rate is a hair under the national rate.

I could be wrong. I just know he works in Michigan at one of the larger centers.

16tons

If your not in Detroit (Dee-toilet) Michigan isn't doing so bad. I'm well north of Grand Rapids waited 4 yrs but now wait it closer to 10. Sure-post and stops per car hurt p/t wait more than economy.

davidnex

I have a friend who might be interested in working in the hub in Wyoming, MI (just outside of GR).

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone happen to know the average wait time for a full-time spot there?

Could I find out by calling their local? How else might I find out if nobody here is from that hub?

I work in this hub. Current wait time is about 2 1/2 years. Expansion will be over after peak and we are adding 56 new routes.

Thanks,
jaz

16tons

56 new rtes! Does that equal less OT for drivers? Did they consolidate east/west centers? I can only hope the district will give us less OT and more rtes... But that's a pipe dream. What's the average paid day?