Driving home for lunch/dinner?

reginald95

I live a mile away from the building and on the way in sometimes after 7PM i still have my 2 breaks and my 10 min break. Rather than just sit at the building doing nothing sometimes I would like to save some money (instead of stopping at a fast food join) and just stop at home and have dinner/watch some tv then drive in. What is the policy on things like this?

By The Book

I live a mile away from the building and on the way in sometimes after 7PM i still have my 2 breaks and my 10 min break. Rather than just sit at the building doing nothing sometimes I would like to save some money (instead of stopping at a fast food join) and just stop at home and have dinner/watch some tv then drive in. What is the policy on things like this?
From reading posts on here I would bet every center handles each situation differently while quite possibly having the same house rules covering this topic.

clean hairy

I would not use the company vehicle for personal business.
Even if mgmt says it is ok and something happened, they would deny giving permission.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I live on my route so I frequently go home for lunch or breaks. As long as you aren't stealing time or driving an excessive distance off route to get there, its none of UPS's business what you do on your breaks.

soberups

I would not use the company vehicle for personal business.
Even if mgmt says it is ok and something happened, they would deny giving permission.
As long as you are 100% honest about what you were doing and where you went, it really wouldn't matter. The people who have gotten fired over stuff like this didn't get fired for driving off area; they got fired for lying when questioned about it.

Geo926

What is this 2 breaks and 10 minute break you speak of? We take an hour lunch everyday and that's it. Are other centers different?

reginald95

What is this 2 breaks and 10 minute break you speak of? We take an hour lunch everyday and that's it. Are other centers different?

We get a non paid 30 min lunch and two 15 min breaks and an extra 10 min break if we work over 10 hours. We can also take an extra 30 min unpaid lunch after we work 8-10 hours I think. (not sure at what time that kicks in)

calcio56

From my limited understanding, we get a ten minute break and a one hour lunch. I don't think we are required to enter the ten minute break into diad, only the hour lunch.

Don't know what other breaks we are entitled to.

I live on my route so I frequently go home for lunch or breaks. As long as you aren't stealing time or driving an excessive distance off route to get there, its none of UPS's business what you do on your breaks.
If you break route to go on lunch or break you lunch starts when you break route and ends when you return .

Geo926

That's weird because when I covered for another center last year, under time card, they had a slot for break and lunch. My center just has the lunch slot.

FTBrown

Contractually you are supposed to take lunch between a certain time. In my local it's between 3.5 - 5.5 hour. Technically you couldn't here. Sups don't care when we take lunch here as long as it's in the board. We are also allowed 2 miles to drive off route for lunch. Starts when you break route and ends when you return.

soberups

We have had some argument's about that here. I do agree with you on that. Legally you can't be on lunch and driving at the same time.

I pack my lunch so it doesn't affect me.

The drivers that get into trouble are the ones that drive too far off of their route

Agreed. This is an issue that will always have to be resolved on a case-by-case basis. The company has every right to prohibit the use of its vehicles for personal reasons. By the same token, the driver has every right to take his/her break at a location with a suitable restroom. If you are a driver on an urban/mall route, there is no reason for you to drive off area at all since there are plenty of public restrooms available. On a rural route, this is not always the case.

Agreed. This is an issue that will always have to be resolved on a case-by-case basis. The company has every right to prohibit the use of its vehicles for personal reasons. By the same token, the driver has every right to take his/her break at a location with a suitable restroom. If you are a driver on an urban/mall route, there is no reason for you to drive off area at all since there are plenty of public restrooms available. On a rural route, this is not always the case.
Guess it depends if they like you or not. They wanted to fire a driver for driving a block past a convenience store and going to a restaurant down the street.
Claiming the convenience store had a bathroom (which it did). Bit would you want to eat your lunch there?

Give me a break.

oldngray

nowhere special
You are allowed to drive a reasonable distance to a place to eat and your lunch starts when you step off the truck. Your sup may try to claim otherwise but it was settled in my local what the correct interpretation should be.