driving school 10 point

derrick

hi. i've been working for UPS part time for 11 years and i'm starting the ups driving school in two weeks for air driver/warehouse combo job. its not the indigead but the in district school. I have a question the 10 point commentary and other questions.

does it have to be word for word and definition or word for word the 10 and general definition?

the 5 seeing habits. is it word for word and general definition?

is it clean shaved or can i have facial hair?

what the general things to learn in the week class?

End of July I already had vacation in and i'm going out of the country for a week and it falls in the time of my 30 days can I get disquified for it? at my center we have to do our vacation for the year in December and January. So it was already booked.

I'm asking here because HR is hard to get in touch with because I don't work in a building with HR they are in a separate building and different hours then my shift. So most communication is over e-mail and a few days or week waiting time. so I have a week to get the jump on things and i want to pass the class and get my 30 days probation passed Because i'm quitting my day job to try to become a full time worker.

Box Ox

Anybody else have a hard time respecting anybody whose most important questions about their intended career path include whether or not they can have facial hair?

Bro, go work on a granola farm or something.

warehouse

No. Bad 11 year UPS employee OP.

i want to pass the class and get my 30 days probation passed Because i'm quitting my day job to try to become a full time worker.

Better not quit your day job before you make it. Sounds like it'll be an uphill battle for you the whole way.

New kids and new kid lurkers who have similar questions: It's really, really OK to interact with real life people and ask your fellow employees how all of this works. I'm glad to knock out all of the answers for all of the kinds of questions above in about 30 seconds if anybody walks up and asks. Same for a lotta drivers.

Boxslinger11

Next gen teamster
Anybody else have a hard time respecting anybody whose most important questions about their intended career path include whether or not they can have facial hair?

Bro, go work on a granola farm or something.

No. Bad 11 year UPS employee OP.

Better not quit your day job before you make it. Sounds like it'll be an uphill battle for you the whole way.

New kids and new kid lurkers who have similar questions: It's really, really OK to interact with real life people and ask your fellow employees how all of this works. I'm glad to knock out all of the answers for all of the kinds of questions above in about 30 seconds if anybody walks up and asks. Same for a lotta drivers.
I was informed of appearance standards the day after i signed a bid. Is it really that hard to look at a driver to see what will fly? In the contract too isnt it? You would think an 11 year employee would have read it by now.

allahuakbar

She/Her
Shave and Memorize everything before you start(10 point,5 Seeing Habits, Lifting and Lowering,Backing). If you can’t do those. Just quit and work at Walmart.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Abandon-thread1.gif

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
Some local schools are tougher than Intergrad, fyi.

You need to know everything, 10 points (the main headline and how it corresponds to the 5 seeing), the 5 seeing habits word for word and be able to write it exactly how it’s on the sheet. Rules of backing, slips and falls, lifting and lowering and yard control.

Yes you have to meet full uniform and appearance guidelines and be clean shaven. If you’re a guy that likes facial hair, tough.

Arch

Some local schools are tougher than Intergrad, fyi.
I find that very hard to believe. The local schools do not have integration station so that's one less test you got to deal with. You also don't need to be moving around from station to station using different computers nor do they keep you till 6pm. Local classes lets you go around 3:30pm so you have more study time.

Compare to my experience with Integrad and the local district, the local classes is ten folds easier just because there are less tests involved and they don't try to feed you on so much crap. If your behind on the modules, you are allow to stay when class is done. In Integrad, if you didn't finish the modules, you head right back to the hotel otherwise you miss the shuttle. The only advantage of Integrad is that you get to be behind the wheels and practice longer. But what's the point of it if you don't pass? The best way to practice driving is when your on your first day of work by yourself when you'll be driving the whole day.

At my local class there was no test on Pre-trip and Integration. We also were not graded on appearance standards nor necessary needed to do class participation and presentations. Just do all the DIAD test, know your 5's and 10's and pass the driver drill. That was it.

Last edited:

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
I find that very hard to believe. The local schools do not have integration station so that's one less test you got to deal with. You also don't need to be moving around from station to station using different computers nor do they keep you till 6pm. Local classes lets you go around 3:30pm so you have more study time.

Compare to my experience with Integrad and the local district, the local classes is ten folds easier just because there are less tests involved and they don't try to feed you on so much crap. If your behind on the modules, you are allow to stay when class is done. In Integrad, if you didn't finish the modules, you head right back to the hotel otherwise you miss the shuttle. The only advantage of Integrad is that you get to be behind the wheels and practice longer. But what's the point of it if you don't pass? The best way to practice driving is when your on your first day of work by yourself when you'll be driving the whole day.

At my local class there was no test on Pre-trip and Integration. We also were not graded on appearance standards nor necessary needed to do class participation and presentations. Just do all the DIAD test, know your 5's and 10's and pass the driver drill. That was it.

Can only speak for mine, plus yours was only one regional class out of how many in how many states? We had a 7:45am start and stayed until 5:45, had guys sent home for failing appearance standards and lateness, one by 5 mins late on the first day and was told to leave.

We were fed the crap, computer modules had to be done by a certain time on the day, Some guys didn’t complete all the modules and were not allowed to complete them at their centers after the class so they returned the next week/class.

Had the learn the 5 seeing habits by day 2 and the 10 by day 3, yard control and rules of backing, slips and falls all by day 4 of 7. We had two days of driving, tested on pre trip before hand and explained what we were checking as the instructor followed us around the car. Drove a battered 1000 with a splicer that barely held, in which commentary was to be recited. You were tested on where and how you parked when told to deliver. We pulled in the hub and had to back in between two package cars while reciting the rules of backing and trying to tap your horn and park the thing. If the rear step wasn’t level with the walkway on the belt you had to do it again. If you weren’t in between the two yellow lines in the loading slot, you had to do it again. Every morning we polished boots in front of the instructor unless he said you were good and he checked for your shave and ironed and pressed pants. Every morning was the tests and presentations to the class. I had to present the 10 seeing habits to the class at least once and I remember a particularly awkward lifting and lowering presentation. three times a day we picked questions out of a hat and had to answer. if we got it wrong the next guy had to pick up the slack for you as well as pick out his own question. Ours sucked and it has a reputation around the state, nobody enjoys it and management warns you it sucks because the instructor thinks Intergrad is nonsense and teaches you “how UPS actually is” Three guys failed to test out on the last day, told to come back but never found out if they did.

Like I said, some are tough.

derrick

yeah. i completed my second day at school. first day got a 62 on the test. today i got a 100 on it. tomorrow ill be doing the 2 minute drill.