Drug Screening Question

klepto

I am in the western Michigan area and close to getting a job at UPS. My question is if there are any drug tests prior to being hired as a loader?

No flames please, I do not smoke....I'm just curious because I have a health condition.

ANY input is very much welcomed. Doesn't have to be from MI area.

Thanks guys!

trickpony1

My understanding is only feeder drivers and pkg drivers of a certain size vehicle (buff car) are subject to testing.
Any person might be subject to reasonable cause testing if they stagger in reeking of pot smoke smell (or alcohol) and giggle uncontrollably.
It's probably common for PT's to come to work stoned......just don't be obvious.

klepto

Going to work stoned/drunk isn't the type of person I am, so that is out of the question.

Thank you for your reply!

B

Brown Bleeder

There is no drug testing for loaders unless, like the other person said, you come in and exhibit signs of being under the influence. The bigger issue is a question that you need to ask yourself. Do you want to load thousands of packages that range from 1lb to 150lbs for 4-5 hours each night with your condition??? I don't know how severe it is, but too many people make a bad decision to work as loaders or unloaders with pre-existing conditions, and it turns out bad for everyone. I'd think hard about it.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
But along with what has been said, I sure as hell would not let that scare me away from a job at UPS.

As to Tricks assumption that many of our loaders are stoned while at work, I dont think so. Some, without a doubt. Many or even a lot....nope.

d

browniehound

I used to know a guy , back in 99 he was snorting bags of H in the trailers while unloading. Guess he couldn't hack it sober

W

who me

I remember a guy back in the early 90's that would load my truck (heavy industrial)this guy would come straight from the bars and load my truck and the three others stop for stop,300+ piece's each car.I could never figure out how he could do it,but man that dude was good.

brett636

There was a PTer at my hub that came in high one day and it was picked up on by a manager. They asked him to take a drug test and he refused so obviously they fired him.

xracer

We had a driver in our center that talked about suicide in front of the wrong people and was locked down in the rubber room at the local hospital for a few days for evalutation. As part of the evalution they did a blood test and in order to have this paid for through benefits all results were released to UPS and there was the presence of THC in his blood, in a deal made to come back to work(there were other things involved, too much to go into now) he had to go to counseling and is subjected to testing usually about once a month to make sure he is staying clean. I have also witnessed workers on the night sort get terminated for firing up in the parking lot while on break and not be offered thier jobs back.

browniehound

yeah, UPS knew this guy was on H but would never fire him because he was unloading the trailer twice as fast as everyone else. Anything to boost you numbers, right?

over9five

Staff member
"...knew this guy was on H.."

Excellent idea. I will put it in the suggestion box Monday! All loaders must fail a drug test to be hired. I think you're right, the numbers will be awesome!

trickpony1

I've known some supervisors and managers who acted like they were jacked up on something but do they get drug tested?

What do you think?

over9five

Staff member
I think any sup or manager who asks that one of their employees be drug tested should have to be tested themselves.

rngri4

trickpony1 said:
I've known some supervisors and managers who acted like they were jacked up on something but do they get drug tested?

What do you think?

We just had a pt supervisor fired about a year ago for drug problems...his wife tipped our high management off to have a drug test...he had a bad problem.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Klepto, I am most likely in your region, North Ohio. There are no drug test except for people with a CDL here, at least as I last knew. OUr Dot physical has no drug test, although they do test urine, which it would show if we were using. They say it is a test for diabetes. I dont so I dont worry. Some drugs may show up as cannabis use, so if you are taking meds, best to let the doc know when taking your physical, so if it comes back posi, they can further test. In my center I truly doubt it, I can think of no one I would suspect of drug use. I cannot imagine anyone coming into work under the influence. But I live a sheltered life I guess. Good luck!

rushfan

back in the day, during breaks people would go to our parking lot to smoke the "chronic", "hippie lettuce", or "blunt" what ever you want to call it, and come back to work. We don't have guards at our facility. All the sups cared about if there were enough bodies to do the job.

rckfrd98

several years back a part timer was killed in the small sort at cach ( all the belts were metal at one time). he stepped on a moving belt to stap a jam and got sucked into the small sort. he was pretty much dismembered and all the blood caused a hazmat team to have to come in to clean it up. cach was shut down for a few hours. needless to say ups had the blood tested and it was positve for cocaine. ups billed the parents for the accident including the medivac chopper.

UPSmeoff

A few years ago i heard of a part timer that left his crack pipe on the dash.
Its kinda scary to think that while we are supposed to be professinals how many other people are out there driving around under the influence.