Dues

Kis124

I thought union dues came out of the second paycheck of the month. Why are they taken out this week, especially right before a long weekend?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Satuirus2000

Check your local. There is no universal time frame when dues come out across UPS, as seen by this very thread. In my local it usually comes out of the 3rd check of the month.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Don't worry. Next month they will increase dues for our next raise. It's a catch up increase. That's what they tell us anyway

Inthegame

Don't worry. Next month they will increase dues for our next raise. It's a catch up increase. That's what they tell us anyway
Your dues will not increase next month. An August 1 wage increase will require locals to raise dues Oct 1, as per the The IBT Constitution.
The IBT did not allow locals to retro dues to last October even after retro pay was distributed.

Chemo

It varies by your Local. We voted last year to have them taken out weekly, so it's steadier instead of a "bigger hit" once a month.
Also, back when it was once a month, I had a couple of injuries where I missed work and filled out a withdrawal card. When I came back, it threw me off sequence compared to everyone else, for whatever reason.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Inthegame

When our BA made this announcement he made it sound like our local had decided this on their own.

I did the math and it worked out to about $3.
The locals had no choice. In locals that use the 2.5 multiplier, the .70 raise would have increased dues by about $2 in most cases. New part timers would’ve gone from $17 to $20 so that would’ve been + $3. So anywhere from $16 to $24 per member (8months X $2 or $3) the IBT graciously kept the locals from collecting.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The locals had no choice. In locals that use the 2.5 multiplier, the .70 raise would have increased dues by about $2 in most cases. New part timers would’ve gone from $17 to $20 so that would’ve been + $3. So anywhere from $16 to $24 per member (8months X $2 or $3) the IBT graciously kept the locals from collecting.

Ours uses the 3 x multiplier.

The point I was trying to make is that our BA made it sound like it was his decision and that the local was taking care of the members.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I'm confused, are you using a 2x multiplier in your post?
Furthermore, re new PT, isn't there a provision for members <$11/hr to be assessed @ $22/mo?