DUI

drewed

Shankman
UPS's logic (and rightfully so) that if you never drank and drove you would have never given the state a chance to make a mistake. You've messed up 3 times, 2 DUIs and when the state was giving the run around you didnt get a atty asap, its not UPS's fault for your lack of thought in all these regards...SO why should they give your job back?

SQUIRREL78

UPS's logic (and rightfully so) that if you never drank and drove you would have never given the state a chance to make a mistake. You've messed up 3 times, 2 DUIs and when the state was giving the run around you didnt get a atty asap, its not UPS's fault for your lack of thought in all these regards...SO why should they give your job back?
This was my first offense. I followed all the procedures to get my license reinstated but kept getting denied. I did call the people at the Secretary of State a few times, they kept telling me my revocation wasn't a mistake. I didn't get a lawyer earlier because I didn't have the money.

drewed

Shankman
This was my first offense. I followed all the procedures to get my license reinstated but kept getting denied. I did call the people at the Secretary of State a few times, they kept telling me my revocation wasn't a mistake. I didn't get a lawyer earlier because I didn't have the money.

Ok sorry 2 mistakes........but all the same if you would have been sent to jail, would you expect UPS to keep your job open? if it was lets say 1 yr eligible for parol after 6 months and thats what you told your sup, they hold it for 6 months and for whatever reason you dont get let go after the 6 months, what would you expect them to do?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If only the Govt would criminalize real criminals the way they do a guy who has 3 drinks with dinner. Maybe we wouldn't have so many repeat child molesters, rapists etc.

Big Babooba

If only the Govt would criminalize real criminals the way they do a guy who has 3 drinks with dinner. Maybe we wouldn't have so many repeat child molesters, rapists etc.
Two and a half years ago, my 18 year old brother in law was involved in an accident with a driver who was DUI. The other guy crossed the center line and hit the car head on that my brother in law was in . The police estimated his speed to be 60 - 70 mph. My brother in law was sitting in the rear seat on the passenger side. He suffered a compound fracture to his leg and severe head trauma. He spent over 3 weeks in the ICU. His friend's girlfriend suffered a broken arm and spent a couple of days in the hospital. His friend, who was sitting in the front passenger seat was dead at the scene. The other guy was a repeat offender. He was messed up a little and spent a week in the hospital. My brother in law hasn't been the same since, mentally and emotionally.This all happened in their senior year about a month before their prom and graduation. What was supposed to be a happy time turned out to be hell for these three kids and their families. Tell me that the other driver isn't a criminal. You won't get far with me.

browniehound

In my building there is a full time preload, full of drivers who have DUI's.
That is one of the benefits here. Lose your license & continue working inside.

The last thing I want to be doing is working on the preload. I'm in my thirties and certainly don't want to make my career as a pre-loader. I don't care how much the job pays!

I will admit that when I was young, sorry younger:happy-very: (18-25) I drank too many beers and drove home. I will also say that it was after 2 a.m. and nobody else was on the road. Once I saw headlights I would pull the car over. Even though I would only pass 1 to 5 cars, I was still endandering people's lives!

I have matured a bit since that time but I still like to drink beer. Now, I never drive after more 3 beers. I know its extreme, but if I drank 3-4 beers in 2 hours, the breath test would show that I'm legally drunk. Is this what we want from the law? I ask this because I don't feel impaired after 3 beers. I don't know, but thats a discussion for another topic (if anyone wants to start it, I'll chime in :happy2: )!

Its simply not worth drinking and driving. I and all of my friends and associates were lucky. We never hurt anyone. I include associates because everyone I ever had drinks with had as much or more than me. It happens in every bar and every day in America. Over the limit drivers.

Please don't drink and drive. If you work at UPS, your livelyhood depends on it. Why would you think about it? Just think about the pay-cut you would recieve when you have to sell washers and dryers at Home Depot?

I am still young enough to hit a few night clubs occasionaly like the old days! I'm not 24 and stupid so I either take a cab, get a ride and leave my car or call someone for a ride. I never drive my car home and will sleep in the car before I choose this option.

Just don't drink and drive. Its simply not worth it. You will be saving yours and someone elses lives! You will also keep your job and avoid the court fines.

705red

Browncafe Steward

People make mistakes in life and yes while there should be a penalty involved as him working inside at a lower pay rate he should not be crucified for it. Were did you read that he had two duis? I must have missed that, because once you get the first you kave to enroll in a sap plan. He owned up to his mistake and plead guilty and the state had given him a letter saying it was in error. So should an employee lose his/her job because of a government screw up?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Ok sorry 2 mistakes........but all the same if you would have been sent to jail, would you expect UPS to keep your job open? if it was lets say 1 yr eligible for parol after 6 months and thats what you told your sup, they hold it for 6 months and for whatever reason you dont get let go after the 6 months, what would you expect them to do?
We are talking about a real case that happened here and the deatils have been spelled out for you. Why must you bring in what if? We are not in la la land, so lets talk about the facts and not fantasy.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I never drink and drive, but I used to, and I never would now.
What can happen I couldnt live with, although it does ruin a few beers after work thing. Where I definetely would be fine to drive, its not worth the hassle it could cause.
As for people who have lost because of a drunken driver I say throw the book at them. Big difference between someone who causes an accident and someone who has 2 beers and hits a deer. But same punishment.
And no I never hit a deer after two beers, I was sober.

drewed

Shankman
We are talking about a real case that happened here and the deatils have been spelled out for you. Why must you bring in what if? We are not in la la land, so lets talk about the facts and not fantasy.

Its not a what if, he was not able to fullfil his job classification because of this just as he would if he was in jail. Why should UPS hold his job open over a transgression in his personal life? You cant blame UPS for his mistake, or the states mistake. UPS held his job open more than a year more than they had to and when he didnt have his ducks in a row to get his lic back so he could work, UPS let him go.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Its not a what if, he was not able to fullfil his job classification because of this just as he would if he was in jail. Why should UPS hold his job open over a transgression in his personal life? You cant blame UPS for his mistake, or the states mistake. UPS held his job open more than a year more than they had to and when he didnt have his ducks in a row to get his lic back so he could work, UPS let him go.
Its simple, in the case we are talking about the contract calls for it, in a felon going to jail it does not!

705red

Browncafe Steward
In the real world or in a what if world? Im so confused, what were we talking about?

And absolutely not, there is an agreement with ups and the teamsters, hourlies are not allowed to make side agreements with the company.