DVIR not signed off

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
I had a new driver approach me about his dvir not being signed off for a non safety issue. The question he had for me was if it was "legal" for him to drive it without the dvir being signed off by the mechanic? No mechanic is on duty when he starts his day.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Being a non safety issue, one would surmise that it would be "safe" to drive. Around here your truck gets red tagged if you put anything in the safety portion and a mechanic won't see able to look at it before your next shift.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
It was a feeder tractor. He is the only person with that start time and there is no management on property when he starts. There was no other tractor on property either. I'm not sure what the problem was. His concern was if he was stopped or had to go through a weight station and they inspected the DVIR

Johney

It was a feeder tractor. He is the only person with that start time and there is no management on property when he starts. There was no other tractor on property either. I'm not sure what the problem was. His concern was if he was stopped or had to go through a weight station and they inspected the DVIR
Call dispatch.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
just do what our drivers did in that situation. tear out the page.

non-safety may be OK ( no 100% sure ). safety has to be addressed by a mechanic and signed off.

over9five

Staff member
All write-ups have to be signed off. Doesn't matter if it's safety or non-safety.

I hate when drivers write something up, and leave the tractor on line. Bring it to the shop, ya lazy ....

over9five

Staff member
It p's me off big time when some maroon writes up that the radio doesn't work good on am (or something trivial like that), but doesnt bother getting it signed off so the next guy has to...

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
It p's me off big time when some maroon writes up that the radio doesn't work good on am (or something trivial like that), but doesnt bother getting it signed off so the next guy has to...
that was the modus operandi at my hub. drivers put tractors back on line with dvir not signed , unwashed and occasionally not fueled. I made a ton of OT because of that.

what really pissed off dispatch is when i punched off they would say "where are the keys? " and I would respond " I took the tractor to the shop for a safety issue and they red-tagged it."

dragracer66

All write-ups have to be signed off. Doesn't matter if it's safety or non-safety.

I hate when drivers write something up, and leave the tractor on line. Bring it to the shop, ya lazy ....
not true over... non safety does not have to be signed off. like somebody else wrote earlier a radio not working or a c/b antenna missing is not ticket able offense if its written up under non safety. this was changed on 12/18/2014

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
not true over... non safety does not have to be signed off. like somebody else wrote earlier a radio not working or a c/b antenna missing is not ticket able offense if its written up under non safety. this was changed on 12/18/2014
Can you plz cite the change?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Can you plz cite the change?

Changes to the DVIR included the drivers not having to sign them off unless there was a write up on the previous day. These changes did not preclude the mechanics from having to sign off on all entries, safety related or otherwise.

over9five

Staff member
Still says it has to be signed off on the FMSCA website, I just looked last night.

Johney

just do what our drivers did in that situation. tear out the page.

non-safety may be OK ( no 100% sure ). safety has to be addressed by a mechanic and signed off.

So....when they get on the previous driver for not signing off the DVIR and he says I did and they produce the yellow copy?
Great advice.