Eager to advance "On Topic"

BrownsNaive_Flunkie

Back By Popular Demand
So here is the deal. I'm a college grad with a B.S. in accounting. I started UPS to foster my transition into the logistics, as I am working on a certificate in logistics and soon to be masters' in Logistics Management. Ideally I'd like to work at corporate, however I have to work my way up.

I just completed my dirty 30 days. And luckily I am being transferred to a hub in another state where 3 PT supervisor positions are open. I've read a few post stating PT supervisor is a dead-end. However, I see the opportunity two-fold, the first, it may lead to further advancement up the management ladder, while the other will give me supervisory experience that I may use on my resume.

I'd like to note my current FT and Sort Manager offered references, if needed, based on my short experience with UPS. Praising me for my work ethic and consistency.

All in all, I have a few questions. Based on my background is asking the FT supervisor at my new location about PT supervisor position a good idea when I get there? Is there "best" time to inquire about PT supervisor positions? Is it hard to transition from operations to corporate, as in applying for a corporate position via UPSers and actually getting the position?

Thanks

BrownsNaive_Flunkie

Back By Popular Demand
You went down the wrong route. UPS doesn't care what your degree is in.
I've learned that, my sort manager has a degree in chemistry. But you can't tell me all of the people in UPS, at least, corporate don't have proper schooling to support their role in the company.

UPS is the industry leader for a reason, right?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I've learned that, my sort manager has a degree in chemistry. But you can't tell me all of the people in UPS, at least, corporate don't have proper schooling to support their role in the company.

Only in Staff positions

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
He should be able to write his own ticket with an MBA in Logistics.
My District Manager got his bachelors degree two years ago from University of Phoenix. It's just a check box at UPS. They want you to have it, but what it is in literally means nothing to them. They care more about what you actually do in the position you are in now.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

I have a Bachelor's in Commercial Aviation and a double minor in History/Political science. It literally had no affect on me getting the job besides the fact that I had to promise I would finish.

Education makes you stand out when applying for jobs elsewhere. Since we do so much promoting from within it doesn't help you. It's what you've done here that matters.

BrownsNaive_Flunkie

Back By Popular Demand
I just wanted to motivation @FrigidFTSup . I've talked with the guys that have been with company for 10-20 years. My aunt has even worked here for 15. Amidst all the negative comments on this forum, you all are still at UPS, so they must be good for something.

The opportunities are endless at UPS, you determine how far you go. I plan on being an UPS executive, I love it and I be here until it no longer serves me. Thank you all for your feedback, much appreciated.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My District Manager got his bachelors degree two years ago from University of Phoenix. It's just a check box at UPS. They want you to have it, but what it is in literally means nothing to them. They care more about what you actually do in the position you are in now.
I have a Bachelor's in Commercial Aviation and a double minor in History/Political science. It literally had no affect on me getting the job besides the fact that I had to promise I would finish.

Education makes you stand out when applying for jobs elsewhere. Since we do so much promoting from within it doesn't help you. It's what you've done here that matters.
I agree, it's just a check-off until you get into Staff/Support positions.
For instance: Don't bother trying to get into Marketing with anything less than a Masters in Marketing and 3 years experience at another company.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I just wanted to motivation @FrigidFTSup . I've talked with the guys that have been with company for 10-20 years. My aunt has even worked here for 15. Amidst all the negative comments on this forum, you all are still at UPS, so they must be good for something.

The opportunities are endless at UPS, you determine how far you go. I plan on being an UPS executive, I love it and I be here until it no longer serves me. Thank you all for your feedback, much appreciated.
I'm not saying anything bad about UPS. It's just the realities are much different here than at many other places. I don't think you appreciate what days are like here. I work at least 12 hours a day and my phone rings until 8PM every night. I'm an On Road sup. Not an exec. Do that for a few years and tell me how exciting being an exec sounds.

Not to mention you'll make a hell of a lot more being an exec somewhere else

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
So here is the deal. I'm a college grad with a B.S. in accounting. I started UPS to foster my transition into the logistics, as I am working on a certificate in logistics and soon to be masters' in Logistics Management. Ideally I'd like to work at corporate, however I have to work my way up.

I just completed my dirty 30 days. And luckily I am being transferred to a hub in another state where 3 PT supervisor positions are open. I've read a few post stating PT supervisor is a dead-end. However, I see the opportunity two-fold, the first, it may lead to further advancement up the management ladder, while the other will give me supervisory experience that I may use on my resume.

I'd like to note my current FT and Sort Manager offered references, if needed, based on my short experience with UPS. Praising me for my work ethic and consistency.

All in all, I have a few questions. Based on my background is asking the FT supervisor at my new location about PT supervisor position a good idea when I get there? Is there "best" time to inquire about PT supervisor positions? Is it hard to transition from operations to corporate, as in applying for a corporate position via UPSers and actually getting the position?

Thanks
you will be passed over for full time positions. They go to kiss asses and people who know people. Best bet is to look elsewhere. Part time supervisor is not going to pay you enough for the degree you have

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Ok tiger.... go get em'!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
my brother was a supervisor sir., and yes i do. it is all who you know, end of story or whos ass you kissed.
He's only been ft for a short time and with the way he talks it up on here you'd think He hAd been around forever...I've seen some of the young sups they are promoting to full time... it's not saying much...