Early retirement

Boxman87

I have 77peer points and will have 78 in January and 79 in august of next year. Been struggling for most of this year with arthritis in my lower back, pushing my doc to get an MRI done. I’m only 52 but am worried that I’ll be freaking crippled if I keep going. Any experience or advice would be appreciated thx.

I have 77peer points and will have 78 in January and 79 in august of next year. Been struggling for most of this year with arthritis in my lower back, pushing my doc to get an MRI done. I’m only 52 but am worried that I’ll be freaking crippled if I keep going. Any experience or advice would be appreciated thx.
Looks like you have 14 more months to go
With vacation , option and sucks days you'll be out of here in no time.
Maybe after the holidays you can get a couple of dead days off?

Boxman87

Thanks but physically not sure if I’ll make it, pain from the time I get up until I lay down at night. Will hopefully find out more If I can get and MRI.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Thanks but physically not sure if I’ll make it, pain from the time I get up until I lay down at night. Will hopefully find out more If I can get and MRI.
couldnt you get a note from the doctor to do light work? a year and a half will go real fast. maybe if you have sick days built up plus vacations that could be at least 2-3 months you can go out on and still get your 80.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
couldnt you get a note from the doctor to do light work? a year and a half will go real fast. maybe if you have sick days built up plus vacations that could be at least 2-3 months you can go out on and still get your 80.
No. If its not a work comp injury you can not do light duty. In fact they will make you stay home on fmla until you are 100% cleared for work. He could lose his job

Boxman87

Not sure will find out Wednesday at doctors, sick time is burnt up. My vacation is done for the year and resets in April .

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

You in the Western? If so, your PEER 80 locks in at 25 years. Talk to the pension office and figure out the best course to take. I will be locked in at 52, if I stay that long, and I will not work a day past that point. I'd still have to wait 4 years to start drawing my pension to get my full benefit. Definitely need to figure out the healthcare too, because you could lose your shot at getting the retirement plan if you don't get on it right away.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
You should know better...

Re-read previous statement.
24years, still here .
Proves my point...

Good luck.

Murphy60601

It depends on what state you're in. I'm a work comp lawyer in IL, but this IS NOT legal advice - every case is different. Anyway, if you're in IL, there's a good chance it is work-related. Probably true in most other states, too. It'll be disputed regardless of what state you're in. Just get a comp lawyer with a good reputation (NOT a high-volume firm that just does a ton of advertising), and you'll be good.

In IL anyway, if your repetitive job duties are considered to be "a causative factor" (as opposed to THE cause or even a primary cause - a cause is enough) in accelerating or exacerbating your osteoarthritis, it's work-related. UPS will fight it, but you'll probably win. Obtain a "formal job description" from your union steward or business agent, bring the formal job description to your orthopedic surgeon, tell him how many years you've been working for UPS, and ask if he thinks that your repetitive duties at UPS over X number of years was a contributing factor in exacerbating or accelerating your condition. If he says yes, he'll need to include his opinion in his written medical report and also mention that he reviewed a copy of your job description.

Good luck!!!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
It depends on what state you're in. I'm a work comp lawyer in IL, but this IS NOT legal advice - every case is different. Anyway, if you're in IL, there's a good chance it is work-related. Probably true in most other states, too. It'll be disputed regardless of what state you're in. Just get a comp lawyer with a good reputation (NOT a high-volume firm that just does a ton of advertising), and you'll be good.

In IL anyway, if your repetitive job duties are considered to be "a causative factor" (as opposed to THE cause or even a primary cause - a cause is enough) in accelerating or exacerbating your osteoarthritis, it's work-related. UPS will fight it, but you'll probably win. Obtain a "formal job description" from your union steward or business agent, bring the formal job description to your orthopedic surgeon, tell him how many years you've been working for UPS, and ask if he thinks that your repetitive duties at UPS over X number of years was a contributing factor in exacerbating or accelerating your condition. If he says yes, he'll need to include his opinion in his written medical report and also mention that he reviewed a copy of your job description.

Good luck!!!

You ever work any ups cases

Good luck!!!
@cheryl
Says beat it Barney

Boxman87

Good luck!!!
MRI shows mild to moderate L5-s1 degenerative disk disease and moderate to severe left and moderate right facet arthropathy. I work in Idaho, have spoke with a lawyer several times, as long as I’m getting benefits and checks from library mutual he says he can’t do much.