Easiest peak ever?

Sign___Here

Either management is doing one hell of a job keeping freight in ground system, or UPS is eating our lunch!! Where I'm at we have no freight. Cutting routes, routes under 8 hours.Thoughts?

vantexan

We were definitely busier last year up to this point. This is a big agriculture area and crop prices are down, or at least they were, stopped following them. Might be affecting us.

Star B

White Lightening
we're heavy on freight too..... it's already a :censored2:show... this year different areas are heavier then last years.

Express Courier

My area is blown out but I don't see pallets of freight sitting along the walls yet. We hired a :censored2: load of new pt couriers this last year though.

Star B

White Lightening
we've got pallets on the walls.... the last parking stall just more ad-hoc piles... under the belt (when mgmt actually tells us where they want it).... at the start of the belt....... anywhere there is space past the splitters there's a pile/trk with a number on it.

!Retired!

Last year was my easiest. This year we have 2 extra routes put into our loop alone. Volume and stops are up quite a bit, but with RTB times pushed back to 1700 (for now) and DRA doing its job, it's going pretty smooth....so far.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So far, so good. We had late air yesterday and some of us (myself included) had to come back to the building but I was able to deliver all of the lates, get back on track and still be punched out and gone by 1815. They have been doing a sweep of my UPS Store pickup, which has really helped.

I did have to meet a driver at 1730 to grab his pickup pieces-----he still had 80-90 residential stops left.

We have not rolled any loads and will work again this Saturday to make sure that we stay ahead of the game.

serco

Peak is making me go broke this year. Over prepaired and have started sending drivers home daily. Fedex's pojection is competly madeup and completely inaccurate. Started Merging 2 routes into 1. And yes the driver that has to do it, is crying. I said will you cry when your pay check bounces? cause thats whats going to happen if you keep doing 60 stops instead of the 90 it takes to pay you. We have very little amazon coming into the terminal this year. Sure made a difference.

bbsam

Staff member
Peak is making me go broke this year. Over prepaired and have started sending drivers home daily. Fedex's pojection is competly madeup and completely inaccurate. Started Merging 2 routes into 1. And yes the driver that has to do it, is crying. I said will you cry when your pay check bounces? cause thats whats going to happen if you keep doing 60 stops instead of the 90 it takes to pay you. We have very little amazon coming into the terminal this year. Sure made a difference.
Now if you are sitting in Pittsburgh, do you give a flying friend--k what the contractors think? They got us to spend the money in case it was a huge peak and it's been wimpy. Why should they care? Will be interesting to see how contractors prepare (or not) next year.

instiches

They give you peak projections 3-4 months out, yet they can't even get tomorrow's numbers correct. Really a joke this year, but I believe the way the calendar is with an extra week spreads out the volume.

It will be fine

Now if you are sitting in Pittsburgh, do you give a flying friend--k what the contractors think? They got us to spend the money in case it was a huge peak and it's been wimpy. Why should they care? Will be interesting to see how contractors prepare (or not) next year.
I didn't hire any extra drivers this year, mostly because I didn't have any money to in October/November. I was hassled quite a bit by management for lack of planning. It's been a great peak so far. My swings are running and besides a few days here and there the regular drivers have been busy but not blown out. We're running right at capacity and making bank. I imagine next year I'll do the same until I fail.

FedGT

This has been our heaviest peak. I am helping out my buyer until peak is over and we are easily 20-30% higher on stops and packages in my terminal. Wish I was having you guys problems at the moment as I am sitting on the couch icing my shin/calf.

bbsam

Staff member
We're handling things pretty well. I had to add a few drivers because of turnover through the year. I've just had to drive more than I wanted. Pretty tired of the local micro-managing going on in our building and overall morale is in the tank. HD guys really got screwed on projections.

STFXG

We got early projections. Then the week before thanksgiving we got new projections that were 20% higher than the initial numbers. Now we are running about 20% heavier than a normal week. Most seasonal drivers in the terminal have already been cut. Easiest peak in years.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Either management is doing one hell of a job keeping freight in ground system, or UPS is eating our lunch!! Where I'm at we have no freight. Cutting routes, routes under 8 hours.Thoughts?

Not here. Mandatory Saturdays, which is normal during Peak, but possibly mandatory Sunday, which they're floating as a trial balloon. Totally screwed-up.

Glad I'm a PT RTD. They can only hold me for 6, but I can work more if I feel like it.