Easiest way to learn correct Zips/Belts

I got my sheet on Friday, I've been staring at this thing for three days and I'm still struggling to memorize the correct zips/belts.

1. Do we have to memorize all the belts/zips?
2. Am I going to be assigned a specific belt?

FWIW, I'm in week two of training, had the classroom portion last week.

Write the zips on flash cards, make corresponding flash cards with just the belt color. Keep at it until it is memorized. I learned a very difficult local sort in a day doing this and looking at the chart. It isn't that bad if you put the time in (which you won't be getting paid for, keep that in mind). Another way is to just break the chart down into groups and memorize a little at a time.

Think they will expect me to know the entire chart over a weekend? I'm busting my balls here and will get it with time, just don't think it'll happen by tonight.

Thanks for the responses.

Judging by the general quality of workers, no... they won't even expect you to know it months from now. And I am being serious. There are several guys in our sort isles who still don't know the chart. When a manager saw me walking out with my sort chart he commented on how rare that was. Don't concern yourself with it too much.

I'll try not too. Amazing that some people still don't know it, how do they do their jobs? I can't imagine they stare at that sheet for every package sliding through.

tarbar66

Back in the day I remember being asked to help on a high volume direct in the HarPa night hub on a Friday night. I was a center feeder driver that had a couple of hours of TT work available till the hub went down. I had not been on a hub belt in 20 years but the zip charts were posted and within 5 minutes I was almost up to speed. Besides the loaders were supposed to check the packages as they would load them.

It seemed that every Friday night when there were problems with staffing I would end up working the pickoff instead of hiding out in the yard. The other 4 nights of the week the belt supes would take care of me.