Easy Peak....But we will pay for it

Overpaid Union Thug

I think UPS wide this was probably the easiest peak in decades. Some say ever. I have to hand it to UPS on this one. They did what they should probably have been doing all along and hired more people and spent money to expand operations. It was so smooth. Most days I would forget it was peak season at times. The latest I clocked out was 8:30 but on average it was between 6 and 6:45. It was definitely the easiest peak I've experienced. But.......I predict that we will all pay for it and pay for it hard. UPS lost allot of money this peak by doing what they did. They will go into full blown payback mode soon. We'll get the usual after Xmas January surge but I don't think it will stop two weeks in like it normally does. You can count on IE and the rest of the desk jockeys to raise their precious stops per car numbers to cut more routes nation wide in order to make up some of that lost profit. That is my prediction anyway.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
How does anyone know if ups lost money...I mean come on...last year was a wake up call that many of their buildings needed updated after decades of growth and that using drivers in uhauls are more efficient than dudes on bicycles..they have been trying to go too cheap for too long and they have nobody to blame but themselves..and if I get more stops after January is over I will get on the list...This isn't any of the drivers fault

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I think UPS wide this was probably the easiest peak in decades. Some say ever. I have to hand it to UPS on this one. They did what they should probably have been doing all along and hired more people and spent money to expand operations. It was so smooth. Most days I would forget it was peak season at times. The latest I clocked out was 8:30 but on average it was between 6 and 6:45. It was definitely the easiest peak I've experienced. But.......I predict that we will all pay for it and pay for it hard. UPS lost allot of money this peak by doing what they did. They will go into full blown payback mode soon. We'll get the usual after Xmas January surge but I don't think it will stop two weeks in like it normally does. You can count on IE and the rest of the desk jockeys to raise their precious stops per car numbers to cut more routes nation wide in order to make up some of that lost profit. That is my prediction anyway.
Let them jack up the counts..you will just see more guys on the 9.5 list than ever...I've never been on the list..I like 10 hours a day but if I start working 10.5 or 11 hours I will sign up..

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I was walking out of the building today and saw one of the big Big honchos.
I wished him Merry Christmas and he returned the pleasantry.
He then thanked me and said "You guys rocked it this peak" and commented on our high output, low injuries, and great service.
I told him "Thank you, but YOU guys putting in that plan made this work out. It was a team effort"
He was happy to hear that. :asskissf:LOL

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Do you work at a large center jack...I can guarantee we will have many injuries this year...I'm not playing that game...its sad to see new guys out on injury or wearing knee or a wrist brace...only after a year......

Coldworld

60 months and counting
He then thanked me and said "You guys rocked it this peak" and commented on our high output, low injuries, and great service.
I told him "Thank you, but YOU guys putting in that plan made this work out. It was a team effort"
Did you give him a hug while you were at it...Unfortunately heff he probably doesn't give a flying friend about you or your coworkers and he won't remember that you guys rocked it when he's getting his extra MIP because of all of YOUR hard work....

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
they can cut routes,raise SPC and all of that happy stuff,but all I know is starting January 5 the 9.5 list comes back into effect. I'm betting 3-2 that come January 12 I'll be filing my first excessive OT grievance of the year

Packmule

Who knows? Maybe a little flattery will be remembered. The man is probably used to being cursed regardless of what he does.
Kudos to you, Heff!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Did you give him a hug while you were at it...Unfortunately heff he probably doesn't give a flying friend about you or your coworkers and he won't remember that you guys rocked it when he's getting his extra MIP because of all of YOUR hard work....

LOL..........well....I've known the guy 17 out of my 20 years so It wasn't #56387-B shaking the DM's hand. Plus, it was Xmas eve, so what exactly would you have said ??

Maybe in that stocking tomorrow morning, underneath all that coal, you might find some Mentos. LOL ;) Merry Xmas
mentos.jpg

Overpaid Union Thug

How does anyone know if ups lost money...I mean come on...last year was a wake up call that many of their buildings needed updated after decades of growth and that using drivers in uhauls are more efficient than dudes on bicycles..they have been trying to go too cheap for too long and they have nobody to blame but themselves..and if I get more stops after January is over I will get on the list...This isn't any of the drivers fault

When I say they LOST MONEY I mean that they didn't make as much as they could have by sticking to their usual way of doing things during peaks. Sending us out in fully loaded trucks and using the least amount of routes as possible.

Just means bigger 9.5 checks. Bring it.
Let them bring it...it usually means lots more injuries and accidents...and more people on 9.5 list...
they can cut routes,raise SPC and all of that happy stuff,but all I know is starting January 5 the 9.5 list comes back into effect. I'm betting 3-2 that come January 12 I'll be filing my first excessive OT grievance of the year

They won't back off. They'd rather pay the penalty pay than send out trucks that have clear walk paths and can be done in less than 9.5 hours.

Last edited:

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Suck ass