Ebola spreading in West Africa: What you need to know

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Ebola spreading in West Africa: What you need to know - LA Times

Why is this outbreak so significant?

The current Ebola outbreak is the deadliest in history, according to the World Health Organization and the United Nations. Doctors Without Borders has called the current wave “unprecedented” in geographic scope, with more than 60 outbreak sites. It is also the first outbreak to hit West Africa.

Before this year, the deadliest Ebola outbreak occurred in 1976, when the disease killed 280 people in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Since March of this year, more than double that number have died from Ebola in West Africa.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I just read about the American Doctor who contracted the disease while working with the sick.
Too bad, but it's like the leper colonies of old.....you have a chance of contracting leprosy just working among them.

That American is like the saints of old.........and won't be coming back 'home'............

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I just read about the American Doctor who contracted the disease while working with the sick.
Too bad, but it's like the leper colonies of old.....you have a chance of contracting leprosy just working among them.

That American is like the saints of old.........and won't be coming back 'home'............

There are two major things wrong with your post. First, the american doctor is FINE and is being treated here in the states in stable condition and will recover. He is already back in the states, so the "not coming home, saints thingy" is rubbish.

Second, Ebola is NOT like leprosy of old, despite your claims.

Contracting each disease is completely different from the rest. Its estimated that 90% of humans are immune from leprosy naturally, and those that arent, can become infected by inhaling droplets from an infected person. You could work with, near or on top of an infected leprosy patient and never contract the desease if you are immune to it. This contradicts your claim:
"you have a chance of contracting leprosy just working among them." again, not true.

""The bacteria Microbacterum leprae causes leprosy also called Hansen's Disease. A person cannot contract Hansen's Disease unless he or she is genetically susceptible to the infection. More than 90% of the human population is naturally resistant to this infection. For those who are susceptible to infection; it is believed they acquired the disease by inhaling infected respiratory droplets spread from another infected person"" ~Web Md.

Ebola, is not contracted in the same way and is more contagious than Leprosy. A person doesnt inhale EBOLA.

"In order to get Ebola, someone must touch the blood or bodily fluids (including sweat, urine, and semen) of a person or animal who's infected (alive or dead). People can also catch it through indirect contact with victims' fluids, such as via bedding or medical equipment." ~VOX.

Two completely different scenarios at play.

The only comparision is that they are both viruses, but thats where they separate.

Can we get ebola?? Not likely. The risk to americans is near zilch.

""Ebola is relatively hard to catch. Unlike measles or the flu, it's not spreadable over the air through casual contact.""

Unless your dinner menu includes contaminated APE, BAT or PIG, I think you will be in the clear. But then again, who knows whats on your diet.

While your post is patronizing, I hope I can shed some facts about the two deseases so people wont be confused.

TOS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Grave condition is not usually considered FINE.

I saw on network TV that the American doctor had died earlier today ... think it was CNN.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Grave condition is not usually considered FINE.

I saw on network TV that the American doctor had died earlier today ... think it was CNN.

A LIBERIAN DOCTOR DIED, the american doctor is being treated and isolated, but in stable condition.

There are NO REPORTS of the american doctor being in grave condition other than hoax cites and most likely, FOX news.

TOS.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Second, Ebola is NOT like leprosy of old, despite your claims." (tos)

What I said was that his contracting the disease while working around the disease is like leprosy being spread among the workers around the afflicted. I never sid that ebola was like leprosy..........you just assumed. Typical.

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
TOS should go to Africa to help those sick people since he believes it is so low risk. Ebola is harder to spread because it requires transfer of bodily fluids (including sweat and saliva as well as blood), but high infection rate once you come into contact. And the very high mortality rate is what is most people fear.
The American doctor infected hasn't died yet and is not back in the US. He is still in Africa and will probably die soon. The Americans were also aid workers from Christian organizations there trying to help the Africans. Inconvenient facts for the Christian haters.

wkmac

If this is the doctor being discussed, Dr. Kent Brantley is still in Africa being treated for Ebola. This ABC News story from Sunday sounds as if there is much positive for Dr. Brantley but then 12 hours ago, AP reports that it appear his condition has worsened.

A search of "Dr. Kent Brantley died/death" reveal no results at this time.

Rainman

Its all good.
TOS should go to Africa to help those sick people since he believes it is so low risk. Ebola is harder to spread because it requires transfer of bodily fluids (including sweat and saliva as well as blood), but high infection rate once you come into contact. And the very high mortality rate is what is most people fear.
The American doctor infected hasn't died yet and is not back in the US. He is still in Africa and will probably die soon. The Americans were also aid workers from Christian organizations there trying to help the Africans. Inconvenient facts for the Christian haters.
You mean TOS was wrong? SHOCKING!!!!

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

moreluck

golden ticket member
If this is the doctor being discussed, Dr. Kent Brantley is still in Africa being treated for Ebola. This ABC News story from Sunday sounds as if there is much positive for Dr. Brantley but then 12 hours ago, AP reports that it appear his condition has worsened.

A search of "Dr. Kent Brantley died/death" reveal no results at this time.
So he's not in the US all recovered like tos said? I'm so surprised....NOT!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The one thing to remember is that Ebola is spread through bodily fluids.
Some of us are perfectly safe.
Some of us are doomed.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
"Second, Ebola is NOT like leprosy of old, despite your claims." (tos)

What I said was that his contracting the disease while working around the disease is like leprosy being spread among the workers around the afflicted. I never sid that ebola was like leprosy..........you just assumed. Typical.

You simply attempted at making a "patronizing" post to the lead story.

I simply called you on your err's.

TOS.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oh, the doctor is AOK and in Texas.....errors??? Really ?? Coming from the "fault" of the B.C. San Andreas has nothing on you!