EDR

Justen

So i was terminated from ups for walking on a moving belt. As a part time supervisor I did not have the union behind me. I'm currently in the EDR process step one but have not heard any word since January about getting my job back. Have called a half dozen numbers with no response and nothing to leave a message on. Could any of you provide any help with what I could do to get into contact with hr or corporate about the situation?

LeaveIt2Griever

FileFileFile
It's crazy how much of a difference being in the Union helps your job security. We have a driver in my building who "allegedly" choked out a shifter (no witnesses), got fired, filed a grievance, and now he's back at work.

Walking on a moving belt wasn't the smartest thing to do, but if an hourly had done it they definitely wouldn't have been fired.

km3

It's crazy how much of a difference being in the Union helps your job security. We have a driver in my building who "allegedly" choked out a shifter (no witnesses), got fired, filed a grievance, and now he's back at work.

We've had guys get into real fights with a dozen witnesses come back. It's not a serious enough offense, I guess.

Walking on a moving belt wasn't the smartest thing to do, but if an hourly had done it they definitely wouldn't have been fired.

Yes they would have. But they'd be back to work after a couple weeks.

PACNW

That's a cardinal sin for a P/T sup. Right up there with stealing. Automatic termination, nothing you can do about it. Most friend/T sups would warn you and not sell you down the river, so either they don't like you or someone higher up caught you.

They take that rule very serious around here. There are a lot of people still around that remember the part time sup that died from a 20 ft fall off of a moving belt.

Mr. Sir

Box slinger
Didn't they drill it into your head to not walking on moving belts when you started as a union employee ? It was taught for a reason.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm not saying walking on belts is ok but "back in the day" many of us rode/walked the belt down to our package car in the mornings because that was the only way to get to them without mountain climbing over all the packages stacked out.

km3

That's a cardinal sin for a P/T sup. Right up there with stealing. Automatic termination, nothing you can do about it. Most friend/T sups would warn you and not sell you down the river, so either they don't like you or someone higher up caught you.

They take that rule very serious around here. There are a lot of people still around that remember the part time sup that died from a 20 ft fall off of a moving belt.

They only enforce that rule on union employees here. And not even on pickoffs, just anyone else.

I absolutely don't do it under any circumstances.

Poop Head

Judge me.
So i was terminated from ups for walking on a moving belt. As a part time supervisor I did not have the union behind me. I'm currently in the EDR process step one but have not heard any word since January about getting my job back. Have called a half dozen numbers with no response and nothing to leave a message on. Could any of you provide any help with what I could do to get into contact with hr or corporate about the situation?
I'm sorry but, lmfao!! You're dumb You made a dumb choice.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

Under what grounds would you get your job back?
Just from the fact that as a member of management you are posting in a forum that is full of union members asking for advice on how to get your job back instead of the proper partners forum to go along with your decision to ignore safety by walking on a moving belt. Makes me question your judgment

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
IMG_2222.GIF

We called that surfing back in the day

Hang 10

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Under what grounds would you get your job back?
Just from the fact that as a member of management you are posting in a forum that is full of union members asking for advice on how to get your job back instead of the proper partners forum to go along with your decision to ignore safety by walking on a moving belt. Makes me question your judgment

Damn, Turd kinda tuff on the kid he was just surfing the belt

Used to ride that bad boy up to the mezzanine after break
Yee Haw!!!

UPSGUY72

They obviously didn't like you. Even without a union it's pretty hard for a management personto get terminated unless your stealing or knowingly fudging numbers. You basically got to be trying or just a totally ___ ____ !

GenericUsername

I was termed for hopping a belt while it was moving. Quite honestly, it was blown out of proportion as myself and the preload manager were having a huge argument that morning. In my defense, I was loading a 24 footer with a huge amount of bulk that day and it was stacked to the lights from the back of the belt to my 2nd (of 3) cars. The front half of the belt was turned off and I couldn't really see but 10 feet of the 2nd belt that I was on and hopped over to get my irregs across and into the 3rd car. Crap happens. Like I said, I was termed, contacted the BA, issued a warning letter and was back the next day. Funny thing is, they botched the date of the incident on the form the letter they attempted to get me to sign. I refused to sign on grounds of the date being wrong. Day 11 rolls around and they give it to me again, but it was too late.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Best advice at this point is to file for Unemployment based on UPS firing you.
That will get you an answer because if UPS does not fight it, that means they fired you.
If they fight it, then you'll probably win.