Educational transfer to pre-load

Asinine

Alright, so awhile back I posted a thread here about pre-load and asking how it was. Well, I asked someone about it (my orientation lady) and about how I would go about switching from loading to the pre-load because it would both accompany a new fall schedule for school, and the fact that I would rather be home at nights instead of going in. After we discussed why, she said she would get more information on it, assuring me there shouldn't be any problems with it. Well, today she comes to me with a load of bull:censored2:, to say the least. She said the transfer would work, but for only of the excuse of using it as an education transfer. I thought well okay, that could work. THEN she explains to rules I'd have to follow. She said something about my classes not being able to conflict/they didn't want anytime to spare in between the two, and they wouldn't want to allow a schedule where they could possibly have me come in again, but I'm not. Or something along those lines. By that logic I should be leaving at 5AM on my shift instead of 10 PM, because of course, I'm available to come back in then/ and stay. She continued to explain something else I didn't quite understand, but it had to do with her using a 6 PM class as an example, and if I did anything earlier (such as afternoon and midday which I planned) that they could not then do the transfer. Basically, it boiled down to the fact that they won't transfer me if I don't have a class schedule that isn't filling in for my current Twilight schedule at UPS, which was implied by the fact that she kept using late at night class times as examples and after I asked about taking midday classes and reminded her that I would rather have my nights at home, she just simply said "don't give up, there may be ways around it" which wasn't in the least bit inspiring. I was incredibly let down to say the least. I thought well maybe its what I feared in the beginning, and she would come back with news that you have to bid on the job, but exceptions are made for educational reasons like switching locations, but nope. There were plenty of empty slots, and the pre-load list wasn't even on the bid board. I'm so confused. The great position I wanted was crushed just like that.

Asinine

What??????? What shift are you on now?

Well I'm on twilight load right now, but I thought about it and I think what they meant is the transfer would have to be because my current schedule is conflicting with school, or something like that. But I really would like to transfer simply because I'd rather my day schedule be pre-load (generally like 5-9AM), and take my classes after that so I can be home at night. It would be one thing if it was a bid job, but they have spaces open at this moment, thats why I'm kinda confused.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Same building transfers are covered in the contract.

Art. 22 Section 4. Part-time employees shall be given the opportunity to fill full-time jobs before hiring from the outside on a six-for-one basis (six (6) part-time to every one (1) outside hire). The following will be incorporated into the job selection procedures in the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum: The Employer will fill all vacancies and permanent new jobs for part-time employees from the part-time selection list in all months except November and December. Part-time employees with six (6) months or more seniority shall have the right to place their name on the list of employees waiting to be moved to a preferred job within their building. Such preferred jobs shall include, but not be limited to: Preload, Sorter, Clerical, Irregular Train, Designated Responder, Carwasher, Loader and Unloader. Employees do not have the right to select any specific unit, load or workstation unless a prior past practice has been estab- lished. Part-time employees with less than six (6) months seniority shall have the right to bid a preferred job prior to the Employer hiring from off-the-street. A maximum of twenty-five percent (25%) of the employees on a shift shall be allowed to change shifts in any one (1) calendar year. The employee obtaining the new position shall remain on that shift for at least six (6) months.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Well I'm on twilight load right now, but I thought about it and I think what they meant is the transfer would have to be because my current schedule is conflicting with school, or something like that. But I really would like to transfer simply because I'd rather my day schedule be pre-load (generally like 5-9AM), and take my classes after that so I can be home at night. It would be one thing if it was a bid job, but they have spaces open at this moment, thats why I'm kinda confused.

You have to have been employed at least 6 months. Then, request a transfer to the preferred job-preload*.

*Careful what you wish for. Preload sucks. For that, you get an extra $1 an hour, though!

Asinine

You have to have been employed at least 6 months. Then, request a transfer to the preferred job-preload*.

*Careful what you wish for. Preload sucks. For that, you get an extra $1 an hour, though!

So with those 6 months, I can possibly get a transfer, educational reasons or not? And well loading is horrid as well, but at least I would get that dollar raise and a lovely shift, lol.

menotyou

bella amicizia
You don't need an excuse @ 6 months. Just an opening on the sort. The you submit your transfer request IN WRITING to your immediate sup, HR, and mail a copy to your Union rep for your file at the hall. Pester them afterwards. Not annoy, just so they know you are seriously interested.

steward71

You don't need an excuse @ 6 months. Just an opening on the sort. The you submit your transfer request IN WRITING to your immediate sup, HR, and mail a copy to your Union rep for your file at the hall. Pester them afterwards. Not annoy, just so they know you are seriously interested.

this is correct you don't need any excuse, the person who told you this is full of BS. If a job is open on Preload and there is not a senior employee ahead of you waiting to be transferred then you go on the next working Monday of the new week. You can find the Master at Teamster.org. the excuse only applies if you are leaving the area for school reasons not for shift to shift in the same building. You go to HR or your FT super sup and fill out a request and if they don't get back to you then talk to a shop steward or call your local. UPS will tell you anything to get you off thier backs.

Asinine

this is correct you don't need any excuse, the person who told you this is full of BS. If a job is open on Preload and there is not a senior employee ahead of you waiting to be transferred then you go on the next working Monday of the new week. You can find the Master at Teamster.org. the excuse only applies if you are leaving the area for school reasons not for shift to shift in the same building. You go to HR or your FT super sup and fill out a request and if they don't get back to you then talk to a shop steward or call your local. UPS will tell you anything to get you off thier backs.

So you're saying this for my 6 months or she gave me BS about being able to transfer with no excuse now? And what exactly IS HR? Lol. I've heard it around here, but never around my building.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I do not know of any preload operation that starts at 5am. The part-timers in our preload all were at 4:15 or 4:30. Maybe you were just saying that "in general", which is cool, just giving you fair warning :)

Asinine

I do not know of any preload operation that starts at 5am. The part-timers in our preload all were at 4:15 or 4:30. Maybe you were just saying that "in general", which is cool, just giving you fair warning :)

Yeah, I mean't general. I figured I'd have to wake up a bit earlier than 4 :p.

steward71

in my area the preload is at 5am monday-thurs and 515am on fridays done around 9am.

steward71

So you're saying this for my 6 months or she gave me BS about being able to transfer with no excuse now? And what exactly IS HR? Lol. I've heard it around here, but never around my building.

OK don't make this hard, Listen. LOL
1. HR=Human Resources
2. If you have six months in at UPS then you can transfer to another shift in your HUB or building. EX: going to twi to mid or mid to twi or preload to mid.
3. as long as there is an opening on the preload (like a job),
4. the perosn telling that you can not go is full of BS.
5. you don't use educational transfer only if you are leaving the area to lets say to another state, then you have to prove you are going.
6. Go to Full Time Sup or HR request in letter that you want preload.
7. If there is a open job and no one on the list who is more senior waiting to go then you go.
Lets review go to HR fill out a request or letter stating you want to transfer to another shift in your building called preload. It you have 6 months of senior time then you can go if there is a open job on the preload and there is no waiting list with senior employees ahead of you then if there is then you will have to wait in line for your turn. Educational transfers have nothing to do with in building shifts transfers. A lot of times HR will feed you a line of Sh** so they don't have to fill out the paper work and do leg work. I hope this helps. I did not want to sound like a A**, but anyway. If you are still confessed then talk to your SHOP STEWARD or CALL YOUR LOCAL.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
How long does it usually take for HR to call to make the switch for shifts?
They probably won't, until you get your union representative (shop steward) involved. Even then, they might deadlock it at the local level & send it to the next monthly grievance panel (where it will swiftly be granted).

km3

How long does it usually take for HR to call to make the switch for shifts?

They won't. You have to call them, and even then, they won't do anything. They'll just say that it's up to the sort manager. The best they can do is give you information (whether there are positions open, where you stand on the list in terms of seniority, etc.).

If you put your name on the bid list to transfer shifts, contact your shop steward. He or she will be able to help you far more so than HR will be able to, and most likely more than any of your sups or managers will be willing to.

I'm going through the same thing, and after two months of not hearing anything, I got my steward involved. Now I actually have a date when my switch will take place. Funny how that works.