Empire of Secrets

wkmac

Glad to see the mention of Project Shamrock which began all the way back in the 1940's in which telegrams were read. Or it's sister in Project Minaret. And there's Trailblazer, Thinthread, Turbulence and of course the FBI's Carnivore now known as DSC1000. Go trace the history of the so-called National Security State and when you start to learn the ugly truth, that picture of a "City on a Hill" is and always has been pure fiction and nothing more than a propaganda moment for another elected actor to shine reading a script.

I'm going to ask a very uncomfortable question but it needs to be asked. With all this massive surveillance going on for decades, how was the hijackers of 9/11 missed and how did the 2 Tsarneav Brothers able to do what they did in Boston? If there were no 9/11 hijackers or a 9/11 event, how much money would never have been made in the first place?

Deception is a state of mind and the mind of the State
James Angleton, CIA Chief of Counter Intelligence

Thanks for posting Cheryl. I've always liked how you were one of the few voices on this website willing to speak out and take these type issues straight on and don't think there are those of us who don't appreciate it!

wkmac

The U.S. government has demanded that major Internet companies divulge users' stored passwords, according to two industry sources familiar with these orders, which represent an escalation in surveillance techniques that has not previously been disclosed.
If the government is able to determine a person's password, which is typically stored in encrypted form, the credential could be used to log in to an account to peruse confidential correspondence or even impersonate the user. Obtaining it also would aid in deciphering encrypted devices in situations where passwords are reused.
"I've certainly seen them ask for passwords," said one Internet industry source who spoke on condition of anonymity. "We push back."
A second person who has worked at a large Silicon Valley company confirmed that it received legal requests from the federal government for stored passwords. Companies "really heavily scrutinize" these requests, the person said. "There's a lot of 'over my dead body.'"
Some of the government orders demand not only a user's password but also the encryption algorithm and the so-called salt, according to a person familiar with the requests. A salt is a random string of letters or numbers used to make it more difficult to reverse the encryption process and determine the original password. Other orders demand the secret question codes often associated with user accounts.

Feds tell Web firms to turn over user account passwords

New Jersey Congressman introduces legislation to repeal the Patriot Act and parts of FISA.

Congressman Holt pushes to abolish Patriot Act - YouTube

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Obama Promise To 'Protect Whistleblowers' Just Disappeared From Change.gov - Techdirt

The folks from the Sunlight Foundation have noticed that the Change.gov website, which was set up by the Obama transition team after the election in 2008 has suddenly been scrubbed of all of its original content.

They were wondering why the administration would suddenly pull all that interesting archival information... and hit upon a clue. A little bit from the "ethics agenda":

Protect Whistleblowers: Often the best source of information about waste, fraud, and abuse in government is an existing government employee committed to public integrity and willing to speak out. Such acts of courage and patriotism, which can sometimes save lives and often save taxpayer dollars, should be encouraged rather than stifled. We need to empower federal employees as watchdogs of wrongdoing and partners in performance. Barack Obama will strengthen whistleblower laws to protect federal workers who expose waste, fraud, and abuse of authority in government. Obama will ensure that federal agencies expedite the process for reviewing whistleblower claims and whistleblowers have full access to courts and due process.

Returntosender

1014163_550197558377179_448390798_n_zps9bb932b3.jpeg

rickyb

america meddling with russian elections:

you can bet your **s that america has meddled far more with russia, than russia has with america.

rickyb

WikiLeaks ‏@wikileaks 2h2 hours ago

US government has intervened in 81 elections, not counting coups. Overview: http://www.npr.org/2016/12/22/506625913/database-tracks-history-of-u-s-meddling-in-foreign-elections … Study: https://academic.oup.com/isq/article/60/2/189/1750842/When-the-Great-Power-Gets-a-Vote-The-Effects-of …

"The U.S. has done it, too, by one expert's count, more than 80 times worldwide between 1946 and 2000."

"LEVIN: Well, for my dataset, the United States is the most common user of this technique. Russia or the Soviet Union since 1945 has used it half as much. My estimate has been 36 cases between 1946 to 2000. We know also that the Chinese have used this technique and the Venezuelans when the late Hugo Chavez was still in power in Venezuela and other countries."