Employee Being Harrased by Coworkers

I am a part time supervisor and recently an employee reached out to me. Over the past few months he contracted a few illnesses and had a fair share of odd injuries, due to this his coworkers insult him all of the time despite them telling him off. His previous supervisor did nothing on the matter, our local made his situation even worse. The shop steward told him to shrug it off and proceeded to tell his buddies that a certain employee was ratting them out, thus making his job further intolerable. The guy is a great employee if a little difficult at times and would hate to lose him if he decides to transfer. I want to go about telling his coworkers to leave him alone and let him do his job. However, I also don't want them singling him out and making his situation even worse. What are a few ways I can go about this? Thanks.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
When you hear it you say "Okay cut it out." Just keep an eye out for it. I had one guy on my previous sort that was a great worker, but he was mentally a little slow. He caught a little crap for it, but I put an end to it. You just have to look for it. Don't go all supervisor saying warning letters this or that. But you have to watch out for him a bit. If it continues to escalate you make HR aware.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
When you hear it you say "Okay cut it out." Just keep an eye out for it. I had one guy on my previous sort that was a great worker, but he was mentally a little slow. He caught a little crap for it, but I put an end to it. You just have to look for it. Don't go all supervisor saying warning letters this or that. But you have to watch out for him a bit. If it continues to escalate you make HR aware.

Mentally slow. Great management candidate. Hahahaha.

Waste Manager

Was constantly harassed..tried to make HR aware..they never replied to phone calls or emails...finally, just could not stand the harassment any more and left..asked the ''harasser''...nicely the first time..to stop it..then told him...nicely...to stop it..finally, just tried to ignore him..have many witnesses to this treatment, who all wanted me to file..but, would rather just be done with it...and moved on from the company..being bullied though..it does wear on ya..even long after you've left..been a couple of months now..just starting to feel better about self now..onwards and upwards..don't look back..they don't call it the Brown Monster for nuthin'..!!

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Mentally slow. Great management candidate. Hahahaha.
nGVff.gif

gman042

Been around the block a few times
It is tough to be around someone that exhibits narcissistic behavior. Many times they come across as a bully because they believe they are superior to the ones they pick on. They say mean and hurtful things and yet the do not even remember what they say. It is just part of their mental illness.
The one that experiences being bullied and is the target of hateful behavior there is much more to it than just "sucking it up" or "let it roll of your back" or "just ignore it" or "oh, get a tampon". Those mean and hateful words will haunt them. It wears them down to the point they feel frustrated with little avenue to escape. It becomes flee or fight to rid themselves of the antagonist. It is how work place violence starts.
More often than not, if a stand is taken the bully will back off because when it come right down to it they are truly cowards that need to make others feel miserable so they feel better about themselves(warped, huh?). OR they will exhibit shocked behavior when those that they have bullied react with hostility from all the years of pent up frustration and anger. Usually they will deny any wrong doing and say the other party "has issues".
OP.....take care of the situation. You are the supervisor. Take charge.

watdaflock?

Over the past few months he contracted a few illnesses and had a fair share of odd injuries, due to this his coworkers insult him all of the time despite them telling him off.
What kind of contract do illnesses get and how do I file an injury report on my insurance, because I heard an insult?

Thanks...

watdaflock?

I am a part time supervisor and recently an employee reached out to me. Over the past few months he contracted a few illnesses and had a fair share of odd injuries, due to this his coworkers insult him all of the time despite them telling him off. His previous supervisor did nothing on the matter, our local made his situation even worse. The shop steward told him to shrug it off and proceeded to tell his buddies that a certain employee was ratting them out, thus making his job further intolerable. The guy is a great employee if a little difficult at times and would hate to lose him if he decides to transfer. I want to go about telling his coworkers to leave him alone and let him do his job. However, I also don't want them singling him out and making his situation even worse. What are a few ways I can go about this? Thanks.

Tell the other employees to quit being butts

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Turdferguson

A great employee who misses work and gets hurt?