Employee Parking Lots

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
To my fellow UPSers, please take this thread seriously. If you can not, I ask you please refrain from posting. The goal of this thread is to discuss parking lot safety.

To my fellow UPSers, it has been my observation that many employees are failing to follow 'common sense' methods in parking lots concerning safety.

The parking lot is the most common transition point for a switch in personalities. The driver becomes a pedestrian, and vice versa. After getting out of a car, some people seem to forget that they are no longer behind the wheel. After parking, they dart out into traffic as if to make up time for being late. As a driver, you are aiming tons of steel directly at that darting pedestrian. Can you stop in time?

ChickenLegs will provide you with some tips to increase your safety in the parking lot:

• Never speed - hitting another car or pedestrian is not worth getting your favorite parking space a few seconds earlier.

• Don't depend on your horn - the other driver or pedestrian might not have time to react. The best deterrent to a parking lot accident would be awareness and preparedness.

• Avoid parking at the end of an isle where there is additional exposure from vehicles turning.

• Arrive at work early. When you are early, you don't have a need to rush. You will naturally be more aware of your surroundings.

After reading this thread, I hope you can reflect on your parking lot experiences and make a decision to be safe. If you have a parking lot safety issue or experience you would like to share, please post.

Integrity

Binge Poster
To my fellow UPSers, please take this thread seriously. If you can not, I ask you please refrain from posting. The goal of this thread is to discuss parking lot safety.

To my fellow UPSers, it has been my observation that many employees are failing to follow 'common sense' methods in parking lots concerning safety.

The parking lot is the most common transition point for a switch in personalities. The driver becomes a pedestrian, and vice versa. After getting out of a car, some people seem to forget that they are no longer behind the wheel. After parking, they dart out into traffic as if to make up time for being late. As a driver, you are aiming tons of steel directly at that darting pedestrian. Can you stop in time?

ChickenLegs will provide you with some tips to increase your safety in the parking lot:

• Never speed - hitting another car or pedestrian is not worth getting your favorite parking space a few seconds earlier.

• Don't depend on your horn - the other driver or pedestrian might not have time to react. The best deterrent to a parking lot accident would be awareness and preparedness.

• Avoid parking at the end of an isle where there is additional exposure from vehicles turning.

• Arrive at work early. When you are early, you don't have a need to rush. You will naturally be more aware of your surroundings.

After reading this thread, I hope you can reflect on your parking lot experiences and make a decision to be safe. If you have a parking lot safety issue or experience you would like to share, please post.

Integrity

Binge Poster

ChickenLegs,

The purpose of my participation in this discussion is not to gripe or complain about conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose is to discuss the work-related issue mentioned in the post above with other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to address this issue with the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.

Thanks for bringing up this topic.

I agree and with your assessment and your suggestions for taking personal responsibility while driving in the UPS employee parking lots.

I would like to add a couple of suggestions based upon deficiencies that I have witnessed to be chronic.

I would recommend that speed limit signs be posted in several locations in the parking lots where speed restrictions are not already posted.

Who on the BC works at a location the has speed limit signs in the employee parking lots?

I also would recommend that the PE Department find a way to do a better job maintaining parking lot lighting?

I find that when lighting fails it takes unreasonably long periods for those lights to be repaired?

Thanks ChickenLegs for well done discussion topic.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
The discussion would advance if you would limit your posts here to one username.
UpstateNYUPser,

I know it would be nice for you to believe everyone who comes to this site to discuss serious topics in a professional way is just Integrity using a different user name.

Believe it if you want, but it is untrue.

Now about the parking lot lights.

You can do a whole lot better than making nonsensical comments about who is who or other petty comment on the BC.

The parking lot lights, Please comment on the original post by ChickenLegs, not Integrity.

Sincerely,
I

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The paved portion of our parking lot is well-lit with the spaces, crosswalks and break areas clearly marked. There is a speed limit sign along with other signage asking us to use caution. Our center manager makes it a point to stress parking lot safety. However, there is an unpaved parking area, which we call the South 40, which is not well-lit, spaces not defined----it is basically a free-for-all. It is best to get to work early to get a space in the paved lot and some employees will park illegally there rather than park in the South 40.

I have had two close calls in the parking lot and both involved drivers leaving for the day talking on their cell phones while driving (personal cars).

Indecisi0n

S peed should never exceed the posted limit.
O bserve area for others.
C ontinuously use your horn for attention.
K eep within the painted lines.

Phrase: "Sock it to me"