Employee rights...how can I help?

MeLlamoMud

I'm going to disappoint you.
I'm a new poster/commenter but have lurked and talked to enough employees to see a trend.

Many do not know what their rights are. Sadly the majority are young, like my daughter (19), and living in an "at will" state so they just don't know any better.

Could anyone tell me, does the Union do workshops or information booths for employees in all areas? Hubby says he will see them out once a year or so but that's about it.

I would really like to help with this aspect but not sure how to get from point a to point b.

Any input would be great!

Thanks!

MeLlamoMud

Perfect example: Hubbies coworker was called into a meeting was completely unaware of Weingarten Rights and how they would have applied. Ergo...he waived those rights by not invoking them.

542thruNthru

I'm a new poster/commenter but have lurked and talked to enough employees to see a trend.

Many do not know what their rights are. Sadly the majority are young, like my daughter (19), and living in an "at will" state so they just don't know any better.

Could anyone tell me, does the Union do workshops or information booths for employees in all areas? Hubby says he will see them out once a year or so but that's about it.

I would really like to help with this aspect but not sure how to get from point a to point b.

Thanks!

Perfect example: Hubbies coworker was called into a meeting was completely unaware of Weingarten Rights and how they would have applied. Ergo...he waived those rights by not invoking them.

First off be prepared for the A* hole comments.

If your husband works for UPS he should know the locals #. Call them and ask. They would be your best source of info not a forum like this.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank

Thanks!

Are you an attorney or labor union representative? Weingarten rights are the basic premise of all union actions where ANY disciplinary action could be taken. Everyone knows that.

Box Ox

Perfect example: Hubbies coworker was called into a meeting

Well well! Brought on another UPS wife!

yes-yes-excellent-quickmeme-com-22402057.png

In my right to work state experience, what somebody knows about their union rights starts and stops at a combination of two things: Coworkers who care enough to give newbies a heads up that they need to educate themselves on their rights via their contract book, and the individual actually being willing to read it.

Union local meetings and a union BA hanging out before and after the PCM every once in a while are no substitute.

MeLlamoMud

Nope
Are you an attorney or labor union representative? Weingarten rights are the basic premise of all union actions where ANY disciplinary action could be taken. Everyone knows that.
Apparently not everybody I.e. my example. I asked my daughter if she got any papers explaining things to her when she got hired of which she responded with no...so I informed her of her rights.

I'm neither. I'm a mom of 3 special needs children and had to find my way through all of that mess and learn how ADA applied to my daughter. This is just something I noted. But I'd be willing to volunteer my time to help people of I knew where to start.

MeLlamoMud

First off be prepared for the A* hole comments.

If your husband works for UPS he should know the locals #. Call them and ask. They would be your best source of info not a forum like this.
Thanks so much! I mentioned it to him but he has his plate full so he didn't really give me much feed back. I'll ask him.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Apparently not everybody I.e. my example. I asked my daughter if she got any papers explaining things to her when she got hired of which she responded with no...so I informed her of her rights.
Not everyone knows it. I have to be honest when I first started at UPS I didn't know any of that stuff.

People SHOULD know their rights but if they don't, any steward worth a S* SHOULD and not tolerate any action with any employee without their presence.