employee/supervisor relationship

ocstreetracer

Isn't it against regulation in the ups handbook that supervisors can't have relationships with employee's outside of work? Ie. Friends, buddies, homeboys. Chapel hill, NC

Re-Raise

Isn't it against regulation in the ups handbook that supervisors can't have relationships with employee's outside of work? Ie. Friends, buddies, homeboys. Chapel hill, NC

I don't see why it would be a problem if it didn't interfere with their ability to do their job.

I have been , and am still, friends with many supervisors at UPS and I am an hourly driver.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
an employer can't have a say in that. that's ridiculous.

I completely agree. What right would the company have to tell you who you were allowed to socialize with during, OR after your shift??

Now, if being friendly with a SUP creates an environment of favoritism during work, then that is something entirely different.

One of my Sup's is a good friend of mine, and we yell at each other at work and he does me no favors that he doesn't do for everyone else. Once outside of work, we're good people

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I know here, we can hang out after work like as friends, but I do know that supervisors have been in trouble for being in realtionships with employees or other supervisors. Some even had to quit to keep seeing the person.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
There is actually a company policy against fraternization between management and hourlies, not sure how much if any it is enforced anymore. May have even been removed but I have seen sups lose jobs for getting to "familiar" with hourlies. Don't have my policy book with me, but I will post it when I find it.

brownedout

I always felt this was an "unwritten" policy as well. Too many times a supe, would show up at a non-work function, and if there were too many of us, or the wrong person there already, would high-tail out of the place. Especially center manager's.

Friendship is one thing. "Fraternization" is quite another. If the relationship goes south for any reason, just think of all the terrible things that could happen between the two former "fraternizers." Go ahead and be friends, but don't let it go beyond that. Just not a good idea.

UPSGUY72

It just a bad idea especially when something goes south. A work place/out of work relationship with a with a SUP can end your career and friendship. It also might give the impression to others that you are receiving favours from your SUP. All in all it's just not a good situation.

No matter how good she looks it's not worth it there are plenty of fish in the sea.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Even a union guy like myself has frineds that were at one time management at UPS. In my wedding party 14 years ago I had 2 guys stand up that were pt management. 1 im still good friends with the other went into IE so I disowned him.

I had a case 2 years ago were a union hourly (male) was seeing a pt sup (female) outside of work. She had another female friend at work who started an argument with the male emmployee over how he terated the sup outside at a party. He told her to friend off and mind her business so she filed a complaint with HR against him. Guess who lost their job???? The PT sup who had no dog in the argumant at work. Her friend cost her the job, so pick your friends wisely.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS had a written policy and rule that UPS management was not allowed to "fraternize" with other UPSers.
Many management employees lost their jobs for this.
This policy/rule was eliminated about 5 years ago but a UPS management person is still strongly discouraged from fraternizing with employees within employees within their area of responsibility. If a relationship develops, the management person is expected to reveal this and one of the employees will be moved so the direct work relationship is dissolved.

old levi's

blank space
I always felt this was an "unwritten" policy as well. Too many times a supe, would show up at a non-work function, and if there were too many of us, or the wrong person there already, would high-tail out of the place. Especially center manager's.

Throw a little alky-haul in there and you've got a volatile situation. I'm just saying..........

Johney

perception is reality
So true.
I know I've said this before so sorry for repeating myself. but here we go....
1. Never fish off the company pier.
2. Don't $#!+ where you eat.
3. Don't ever,ever get your ***** where you get your paycheck.

Although as far as just plain having a beer with your sup for lunch on a day off,I don't see a problem as long as they bitch at you Monday for screw-ups like anyone else on the clock. Would I enjoy a beer after work with my on-road...sure,would I expect special treatment after....no way.