Employer mandates kicking in!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Does anyone foresee the mandates having any affect on our healthcare? Any possible side effects?

Nimnim

The Nim
It's possible and even probable, but as Upstate said, 2018. We don't have to worry about any mandate related costs until the new contract.

Thought if it's all through the Teamsters, teamcare and all, is that really employer supplied insurance even if UPS puts money towards it?

upschuck

Yes---I do think we will start paying for a portion of our healthcare in 2018.

Since we will already have to have the mandated coverage, why do you think that premiums would rise so much for UPS and union to agree that we pay a portion of it? They are suppose to lower the cost of insurance. That is one of the benefits that being in a union gives me, I will not vote for anything that requires me to pay for my insurance. They think this years healthcare contract battle was bad, wait until they try to make us pay for premiums.

oldngray

nowhere special
Obama promised the unions they would be exempt to get their support, but after it passed said screw you and reneged on his promise.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I thought we a another thread on here that said union plans were exempt from this tax. Why do they single out those four states? Do they get higher amounts contributed?

Union plans will be exempt -- along with all other Cadillac plans -- through 2018. Only plans with a value above $27.5k (family) or $10.2k (individual) will be hit with the tax. On my W-2's last year, the fair market value of my individual plan was roughly $4,200.

A tax payer would only be taxed on the amount exceeding $27.5k/$10.2k albeit at the 40% excise rate. Not the end of the world as many think but still another raw deal from the Democratic Party for labor.

saintrick

The tax is not paid by individuals.

It will be paid by health insurance issuers and sponsors of self-funded group health plans.

oldngray

nowhere special

It will be paid by health insurance issuers and sponsors of self-funded group health plans.

And where do they get that money from? They will just pass along the costs to individuals. Same as the subsidies (which we are not ellligible for anyway but just for an example). If an individual pays a lower rate because they get a subsidy from the government, where does the government get the money to pay for the subsidy? From other taxpayers of course.

island1fox

SP,

It does not matter what entity pays for it ---it eventually comes down to the individual or tax payer with higher premiums or deductibles.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Obama promised the unions they would be exempt to get their support, but after it passed said screw you and reneged on his promise.

Obama is a corporate neoliberal. When he has to pick between backing Wall Street or helping labor, he's going with the banks every time -- so much for "putting on a comfortable pair of shoes and walking a picket line" with labor, like he promised us back in 2008.

island1fox

When the employer mandate fully kicks in after the 2014 election -to cover Democrats --and the one year extension on the individuals expires --there is going to be a major shock-wave to hit.

Small and midsize business--along with a few biggies are realizing it will be way cheaper to pay a fine than to pay for healthcare--they will be dropping people by the millions.
People will be FORCED into Obamacare ---Is that Freedom of Choice ?? America ?? What will we be forced into next --Electric two person cars --with the rest banned --as "bad cars " ???---what a disaster.:sick:

America has to wake up !!

Many if not most will pay much higher premiums for things they do not want or need --birth control , maternity care, mental health etc etc.

oldngray

nowhere special
Obama is a corporate neoliberal. When he has to pick between backing Wall Street or helping labor, he's going with the banks every time -- so much for "putting on a comfortable pair of shoes and walking a picket line" with labor, like he promised us back in 2008.

I agree but you forgot narcissist. Besides government employees the only ones who will benefit from Obamacare are insurance companies.

oldngray

nowhere special
When the employer mandate fully kicks in after the 2014 election -to cover Democrats --and the one year extension on the individuals expires --there is going to be a major shock-wave to hit.

Small and midsize business--along with a few biggies are realizing it will be way cheaper to pay a fine than to pay for healthcare--they will be dropping people by the millions.
People will be FORCED into Obamacare ---Is that Freedom of Choice ?? America ?? What will we be forced into next --Electric two person cars --with the rest banned --as "bad cars " ???---what a disaster.:sick:

America has to wake up !!

Many if not most will pay much higher premiums for things they do not want or need --birth control , maternity care, mental health etc etc.

What most people keep losing sight of is the penalty for not being insured increases dramatically after the first year. People think they can pay the $95 penalty and forget about Obamacare. Not true. it starts at $95 or 1% in 2014 but the minimum penalty/tax in 2016 will be $695 per person and up to 3-times that per family. After 2016, these amounts will increase at the rate of inflation.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I agree but you forgot narcissist. Besides government employees the only ones who will benefit from Obamacare are insurance companies.

Personality flaws don't really bother me in elected leaders because -- quite frankly -- someone needs to be a bit of a narcissist to run for national office. Lyndon Johnson had one of the most narcissistic personalities in presidential history (quick anecdote: he gave everything, including his daughters and his wife's nickname, the same initials he had: "LBJ".. he even named his dog "Little Beagle Johnson") but did more for working people than any president since FDR.

Granted, he sent thousands of their sons to die in Vietnam, but still..

An incremental increase/greater expansion of Medicare would have worked so much better. Rolling it back from 65 to 55, then to 50, then 45 while raising the "floor" to qualify for benefits would have done so much more than throwing government money at health insurance companies, who spent most of the last two or three decades making billions by letting thousands of Americans die who otherwise might have survived with proper care.