Endangered UPS_ers

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I don't know if any of you have noticed, but time, is flying. I mean, we get to work,pre/reload, jump in the pkg car, behind the desk, in front of the computer, or whatever the job, and before you know it, the day is over. The time we actually have for ourselves/families is minimal, and it, also passes quickly. This is our pace, day in and day out, throughout the year/years we work here. Sometimes we get to a point in our lives, where we look in the mirror and don't recognize the reflection that we see, or worse, wonder how we've aged so quickly.

As a husband and a father, I'd really like to have time, energy and a functioning body, to be able to do things that I wasn't able to do, with the people I love, in my working years, after I retire. This being said, I think this thread should serve as a reminder that working, here at UPS, is not the end all, but the road we must all travel, to the "promised land".

If we don't take care of our bodies and minds, starting at this very moment, our retirement may be a short lived, unpleasant, experience. Young and old UPS'ers take heed, let us not set our goals for retirement, but for beyond retirement.

I've noticed over the years, that my body has grown accustomed to the every day, hectic pace, at which we're expected to work. When I started at UPS, I'd lose and gain weight, daily. Today I do the same, except for the fact that some of the weight is staying around. This means that my body is now used to the routine. Now I find, in order to maintain the body shape and activity level I desire, I need to supplement my UPS routine, with something above and beyond this particular activity level.

For a better understanding of this, you may notice that the thin young man/woman, that started several years ago, may have developed a slight tummy, bigger thighs, or a not so pleasing butt, that just doesn't seem to go away. This is where, supplementing your routine, comes into play, If you want to have a better life after, you no longer wear brown.

This activity shouldn't stop with our bodies, but continue on to our minds. I know that many here at the Cafe, read lots of books, go to the/rent movies, and find many things that stimulate the mind. This is great and really gives the mind/brain a good workout.

I just wanted to post this as a reminder, that we control a vast majority of how our minds and bodies grow old. Let's take this responsibility with all seriousness and stay healthy, so that we'll be around long after retirement. Just something I've been thinking about, and figured would be good to share

DS

Fenderbender
time, is flying. before you know it, the day is over. Young and old UPS'ers take heed, let us not set our goals for retirement, but for beyond retirement
For a better understanding of this, you may notice that the thin young man/woman, that started several years ago, may have developed a slight tummy, bigger thighs, or a not so pleasing butt, that just doesn't seem to go away. This is where, supplementing your routine, comes into play, If you want to have a better life after, you no longer wear brown.

This activity shouldn't stop with our bodies, but continue on to our minds. I know that many here at the Cafe, read lots of books, go to the/rent movies, and find many things that stimulate the mind. This is great and really gives the mind/brain a good workout.

I just wanted to post this as a reminder, that we control a vast majority of how our minds and bodies grow old. Let's take this responsibility with all seriousness and stay healthy, so that we'll be around long after retirement. Just something I've been thinking about, and figured would be good to share

Great post Steve ,its so easy to get all wrapped up in the day to day experience,and those bad habits seem to be causing a lot more damage than they used to.Change is hard ,but it is often necessary to find a fresh direction on the road to retirement.

again, nice post,it hits home .

Braveheart

I had to change my diet.

I had to cut out athletics from my personal life.

I had to change my work routine just so I can hold down this job.

This job is wearing my body out. I do not run anymore.

I take all of my vacations and all of my option days just to give my body the time off to keep on keeping on.

We have these drivers being laid off and now would be a great time to let us have extra time off. Some centers do it, sadly many do not.

redshift1

I don't know if any of you have noticed, but time, is flying. I mean, we get to work,pre/reload, jump in the pkg car, behind the desk, in front of the computer, or whatever the job, and before you know it, the day is over. The time we actually have for ourselves/families is minimal, and it, also passes quickly. This is our pace, day in and day out, throughout the year/years we work here. Sometimes we get to a point in our lives, where we look in the mirror and don't recognize the reflection that we see, or worse, wonder how we've aged so quickly.

As a husband and a father, I'd really like to have time, energy and a functioning body, to be able to do things that I wasn't able to do, with the people I love, in my working years, after I retire. This being said, I think this thread should serve as a reminder that working, here at UPS, is not the end all, but the road we must all travel, to the "promised land".

If we don't take care of our bodies and minds, starting at this very moment, our retirement may be a short lived, unpleasant, experience. Young and old UPS'ers take heed, let us not set our goals for retirement, but for beyond retirement.

I've noticed over the years, that my body has grown accustomed to the every day, hectic pace, at which we're expected to work. When I started at UPS, I'd lose and gain weight, daily. Today I do the same, except for the fact that some of the weight is staying around. This means that my body is now used to the routine. Now I find, in order to maintain the body shape and activity level I desire, I need to supplement my UPS routine, with something above and beyond this particular activity level.

I worked out during my entire UPS career either running or at Family Fitness. You are absolutely right if you stay in shape physically your retirement can be very enjoyable. By the way driving alone will not take the place of a good aerobic workout.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
As I've said in previous posts, with no offense intended, I see these guys in feeders who came through the grinder of hub, packages and finally feeders. Their knees and shoulders are shot. They complain daily about the pain and stress. Hate the company and what it has done to them but they won't take the final step and turn their paperwork in. This place is their life in many instances. Unfortunately their life passed them by while they were busting their butts for a machine that didn't care one way or the other. I am not criticizing just sympathizing. I really feel bad when a guy tells me, "Why should I retire? Don't know what else I would do." God, I hope that is not my response when I am eligible.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I've run and worked out the whole time I've been here. It's a little tougher now, but that has more to do with age than the job. The trick is making it a priority, because otherwise life will get in the way and you won't stay with it.

Sammie

How long we live is in many ways the genes we inherit but also includes how we take care of ourselves. I've already lost 3 friends from work who died from smoking for 30 years plus. No reason why they shouldn't have enjoyed this earth for 20 - 30 more years but for that. Another good
friend who was only 50 passed away from going into a diabetic shock.
He'd been a diabetic for God knows how long and didn't know it, just
knew he hadn't felt good for years. Your body has a way of knocking on
doors when things aren't going well - please don't ignore the signs and
get checked out when things don't feel right.

Just from my own personal stuff; low blood sugar, a bad ticker, etc., best to cut out all junk, eat well, go easy on the booze, and exercise. (Which I HATE, but I do!)

moreluck

golden ticket member
A lot of diabetics or borderline ones do not take their disease seriously. I see people with sugar problems grabbing a handful of M&M's as they walk past a full bowl of them.

Cutting out the sugar can drastically reduce those numbers in about 3 months.....do it.

I smoked for 48 years and quit in Sept. I can breathe, I don't cough at night and my snoring has mellowed out tremendously.

As far as diet, use the Amer. Diabetes Assoc. diet from the internet and use it to lose weight. The diet is heart healthy & low in sugar. Check out the general guidelines to follow.......

Here's some general guidelines....

Eat regular meals and avoid late-night eating. Small, frequent meals (four or five daily) help to stimulate insulin production.

Eat more starchy, high-fiber foods such as whole-grain bread, beans, peas and lentils. All of these foods cause only a gradual rise in blood sugar because the fiber content slows down the release of glucose. Nutritionists have also identified chromium, zinc and manganese as factors which control blood sugar levels. These minerals are removed in the refining process which produces white flour, white sugar, refined salt, and many highly processed foods. In whole grains, these minerals reside in the bran.

Cut down on sugary sweetened soft drinks, cakes, confectionery and chocolate. The sugar is absorbed quickly and therefore causes blood glucose levels to rise more rapidly. Eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables for soluble fiber and vitamins. Fruit makes an ideal snack, but beware of eating very sweet fruits such as grapes or mangoes; or acidic, sour flavored fruits such as lemons and grapefruits in large amounts because of their effect on your blood sugar level. If you do eat tinned fruit, choose those canned in natural juice rather than syrup. Dried fruits such as dates are a concentrated form of sugar and so should only be consumed in small quantities.

Cut down on greasy and fatty foods (meats, eggs, cheese, butter, excess oil, nuts and seeds) and avoid denatured foods (refined flour and sugar, synthetic fats such as margarine and shortening), which stress the liver, weaken the spleen-pancreas, and aggravate the diabetic's increased risk of coronary heart disease. However, to maintain a balanced diet, make sure that you have portions of meat, eggs or cheese as part of at least two of your meals each day. Keep the portions small, and remember that fish and pulses are alternative sources of protein.

Limit salt and salty foods, because of the diabetic's increased susceptibility to high blood pressure. Be aware of hidden salt in many tinned, smoked and processed foods.

Keep alcohol consumption at moderate levels, remembering that low-sugar diet beers and lagers tend to have a high alcohol content.

Chew thoroughly. Chewing properly improves nutrient assimilation particularly with complex carbohydrates, whose digestion begins with saliva. Thorough chewing is essential for their complete breakdown so that adequate minerals and other nutrients are absorbed.

Drink water, or sugar-free drinks.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Wow, when I typed this thread, I tried to get all the words and feeling, just right. Then when I click, submit thread, I got an error message. I hit the back button, but only an blank white page came up. I freaked, when I thought I lost everything that I was trying to express. I gave up trying, thinking that, I guess it wasn't meant to be. I get on here tonight and find the thread, and I'm so relieved. Thanks for all of the great posts.:peaceful:

fethrs

STUG great thread. I preloaded for 7 years and had another job which kept me in fair shape and health. After my arthroscopic knee surgery and going full time I became a couch potato and gained a bunch of weight. Now I'm on the road to "recovery" with the gym and I know I will feel better at work too and not huff and puff anymore when I go upstairs.

ups1990

I've also seen package car drivers, who gained weight after going feeder. Probably why they call the job "feeder".

I, too made a decision to quit drinking alcohol in 2001.

Started a weight lifting program using light weights, to strenghten my back and especially the muscles around my knees.

This thread, brings up another question. Should drivers curtail their weekend activities in order to prolong a lenghty UPS career? For ex. Guys who love ATV's and have gotten seriously hurt and continue to have pain with their injury(s). All the while still driving and are many years away from retirement.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I've also seen package car drivers, who gained weight after going feeder. Probably why they call the job "feeder".

I, too made a decision to quit drinking alcohol in 2001.

Started a weight lifting program using light weights, to strenghten my back and especially the muscles around my knees.

This thread, brings up another question. Should drivers curtail their weekend activities in order to prolong a lenghty UPS career? For ex. Guys who love ATV's and have gotten seriously hurt and continue to have pain with their injury(s). All the while still driving and are many years away from retirement.
Are you speaking about the transgendered?

rod

Retired 22 years
I truly believe the key is moderation. If you enjoy ATV's you don't have to give them up - just slow down. You don't have to jump every road approach or be the first on up the hill to have fun. Years ago I enjoyed dirt bikes - now its my cruiser bike that I enjoy. Having a few beers once in awhile (never while doing the motorcycle thing) won't kill you. Don't smoke. Stay active-- don't sweat the small stuff-- keep humor in your life-- find a good doctor you can trust -- never argue with your wife (even if she is wrong).:peaceful:

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
I think when you first begin an exercise regimen, it is hard because you think you get enough exercise at work. As we all know, work is just work. Lift weights, swim, bike, but find something you like doing...and do it consistently. It will make your quality of life better in the long run. Nike and STUG are right. Just do it.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I truly believe the key is moderation. If you enjoy ATV's you don't have to give them up - just slow down. You don't have to jump every road approach or be the first on up the hill to have fun. Years ago I enjoyed dirt bikes - now its my cruiser bike that I enjoy. Having a few beers once in awhile (never while doing the motorcycle thing) won't kill you. Don't smoke. Stay active-- don't sweat the small stuff-- keep humor in your life-- find a good doctor you can trust -- never argue with your wife (even if she is wrong).:peaceful:
I think when you first begin an exercise regimen, it is hard because you think you get enough exercise at work. As we all know, work is just work. Lift weights, swim, bike, but find something you like doing...and do it consistently. It will make your quality of life better in the long run. Nike and STUG are right. Just do it.
Great advice, guys!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I drink alcohol daily & heavily.
I may look overweight & out of shape but I feel good.:happy-very: &
it really helps with the daily pains.

Veruca

Who has any time after work to do ANYTHING when you have a family? I sit and read these posts in wonderment. After an hour commute TO work then 10 or more hours at work killing myself and then the commute home - to a family - kids, husband, etc.....chores and expectations.....who gets to go to the gym? Really?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Who has any time after work to do ANYTHING when you have a family? I sit and read these posts in wonderment. After an hour commute TO work then 10 or more hours at work killing myself and then the commute home - to a family - kids, husband, etc.....chores and expectations.....who gets to go to the gym? Really?
I get my workout in before work. After work I'm too beat, especially in the summer when the heat and humidity are in effect. It means getting up at 0400, but that's the way it goes. Like I said earlier, if you don't make it a priority, life will get in the way.