Enough Sport Sponsorship

yepyep

Obviously I am such a chick for saying this, but I am SICK of Fedex Cup, FedEX. Racing ,FedEX Stadium and every other way this Company has spent millions in plastering their logo . I recall management telling how it's worth was calculated when we announced FedEX stadium. Being in DC, the political influence we would have.. ..blah blah blah. Since this obviously has not added to our Express volume ,I think they should pull all sports backing ,stick to the old Express commercials that made me chuckle, and save some flow. Maybe then they would get off my back, and let me do the job I actually love in peace.

DorkHead

All that advertising has and is paying back in spades. When first introduced, the fans and golfers didn`t think much of " The Fedex cup " Only the 4 majors were the focus of golfers. Now after a few years of tweaking the format, they have a legitimate tournament that pays well for the golfers, Fedex, and the viewers. As for Fedex racing, the team must compete and win for the company to be visible which is much harder. The FedEx cup is a win-win for your company

yepyep

Not buying it. I understand the popularity.I just don't see that it has been worth the cost. I would much prefer commercials that are likely more cost effective. I would be sick if I figured out what we spent.

vantexan

Not buying it. I understand the popularity.I just don't see that it has been worth the cost. I would much prefer commercials that are likely more cost effective. I would be sick if I figured out what we spent.

Probably has to do with golf's demographics. A lot of business owners and exec's watch and go to tournaments. They make the decisions on shipping. Still, can't help but fill an exclusive world for exclusive people has been created.

yepyep

I think you figured that out for yourself. I guess it means something down there. Still think we should pull back. Hate hearing how broke we are all the time, but paint a different picture to the world.

CJinx

I think that even if the company didn't fund sports, you'd still hear the same thing about how money is not available. I don't think there is a manager working for any company on the planet that doesn't tighten up like a snare drum when you ask them to fund a project.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I think you figured that out for yourself. I guess it means something down there. Still think we should pull back. Hate hearing how broke we are all the time, but paint a different picture to the world.

Paring-back the advertising and sponsorships would send a message to both employees and stockholders that FedEx is serious about cutting costs. The Draconian aspect of this whole mess is that the cuts are coming almost solely from hourlies, just as they have for the last 15 years or so. Management is whining about saving money, but it's fine if MT3 commutes to work in a FedEx business jet, or Fred doubles his salary. Total hypocrisy.

I have never understood the appeal of NASCAR, and I really doubt that shelling-out $20 million or so every year for Denny Hamlin generates that much in additional revenue. Same for the stadium sponsorship.

vantexan

Probably has to do with golf's demographics. A lot of business owners and exec's watch and go to tournaments. They make the decisions on shipping. Still, can't help but fill an exclusive world for exclusive people has been created.

That's feel not fill.

DontThrowPackages

I agree. The golfing community is sophisticated enough to know about Overnight delivery and how it works and who supplies the service.

packageguy

It's all about business, FDX has money, there a cash cow.. they know where to do advertising, golf, racing, anything green about the environment.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
They have money because of the laurels of the past and currently becase they have squirreled so much money away from undercompensating the workforce, especially midrange Express and Ground drivers. You don't seriously think that Fred created this wealth from anything ethical littleboybrown?

FedEx2000

In case you have all forgotten, FedEx did not re-up the sponsorship of the Orange Bowl last year. As for FedEx Field, FedEx Cup, Nascar, etc...it's called a contract. The FedEx Field naming rights was a 20 year contract if I remember correctly.....usually there are major financial penalties for terminating a contract early. More benefit to ride out the rest of the contract than to pay a penalty in most cases. For example, do you wait another year for your cell phone contract to expire before switching, or do you pay the $200 or so to get out now and switch carriers? Most ride it out and switch after it expires.

DontThrowPackages

How much has the sponsorship of Nascar helped out the company? I saw the news and their driver won the past race. Should the company expect more customers?

DorkHead

How much has the sponsorship of Nascar helped out the company? I saw the news and their driver won the past race. Should the company expect more customers?

Maybe. With Nascar, being visible counts and if your team wins races, they become more visible. I`m sure there is more to it besides that. Remember, it`s a risk, like all business decisions. When it doesn`t generate enough cash, they will decide on staying or leaving

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Obviously I am such a chick for saying this, but I am SICK of Fedex Cup, FedEX. Racing ,FedEX Stadium and every other way this Company has spent millions in plastering their logo . I recall management telling how it's worth was calculated when we announced FedEX stadium. Being in DC, the political influence we would have.. ..blah blah blah. Since this obviously has not added to our Express volume ,I think they should pull all sports backing ,stick to the old Express commercials that made me chuckle, and save some flow. Maybe then they would get off my back, and let me do the job I actually love in peace.

In today's world you spread your name far and wide to every possible demographic and via every possible medium. There might be one but I can't name a single company that advertised itself out of business. It's not enough that everyone know who you are and what you do. These days you have to be the 1st business that comes to mind when someone thinks of that industry. That's accomplished via commercials, naming rights, high profile donations here and there, sponsorship of events, and participation in events. Your guess is as good as mine as far as how much money it actually generates for the company but it generates tons of brand awareness.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
In today's world you spread your name far and wide to every possible demographic and via every possible medium. There might be one but I can't name a single company that advertised itself out of business. It's not enough that everyone know who you are and what you do. These days you have to be the 1st business that comes to mind when someone thinks of that industry. That's accomplished via commercials, naming rights, high profile donations here and there, sponsorship of events, and participation in events. Your guess is as good as mine as far as how much money it actually generates for the company but it generates tons of brand awareness.

But volume is dropping, so is that due to a "shifting marketplace" or is it due to poorly allocated advertsing dollars? FedEx got a lot more mileage out of it's formerly excellent (and humorous) TV commercials than it seems to from NASCAR, golf, etc. In October, my best guess is that UPS will be the first brand consumers think of when they consider expedited shipping.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
Word of mouth will always be the most effective form of advertising and that will never change. Couple that with sites like Google reviews and yelp.com and so on and you have far better advertising that costs you nothing so long as you provide superior service.

A sponsorship has never gave me the urge to spend money anywhere. Neither has being bombarded by the same commercial twenty times in the span of an hour.