Entitled to Full Break?

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
I'm a PT loader. Had some interesting things happen to my belt this week. On Monday, when break was called we were told by the PT sup and cover sup they couldn't get the belt to stop and to "work through PCM" so we continued loading and by the time we stopped, we were 5 minutes into break. Break was not extended and we went back to work as if we had gone on break when it was originally called.

Friday, the same thing happens. Only they didn't tell us any story the sup just said "We're working through the first few minutes, guys." And sure enough, I kept an eye on my watch and break was only 6 minutes long.

No break was given on Thursday because we worked all the way through it. Employees who asked for one received one on an individual basis.

What gives? If this continues, can I file a grievance? It doesn't seem like a big deal but when you work 5-6 hours with a 10 minute break, you want those 10 minutes. The old PT sup, who is well liked, has just been replaced by a noobie so I think next time I'm told we're working through PCM my answer may be "No I'm not."

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
What gives? If this continues, can I file a grievance? It doesn't seem like a big deal but when you work 5-6 hours with a 10 minute break, you want those 10 minutes. The old PT sup, who is well liked, has just been replaced by a noobie so I think next time I'm told we're working through PCM my answer may be "No I'm not."

Talk with your steward before refusing to work as instructed. Your 10 minute break should most certainly given each and every day.

Just remember, work as instructed and grieve later

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You are entitled to a 10 minute paid break. Not 5 not 4 not 9. I totally agree those 10 minutes in the middle of the shift mean the world to part timers. I remember the days when we wouldn't take break until late or take it the first hour of the day. Man those days sucked.

Worst case scenario I would stay on the clock after you finish for the amount of time they shorted you for break.

You are entitled to a 10 minute paid break. Not 5 not 4 not 9. I totally agree those 10 minutes in the middle of the shift mean the world to part timers. I remember the days when we wouldn't take break until late or take it the first hour of the day. Man those days sucked.

Worst case scenario I would stay on the clock after you finish for the amount of time they shorted you for break.
I would go to the bathroom as many times as I could...friend me....friend ..you!...thats a pile of crap

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I would go to the bathroom as many times as I could...friend me....friend ..you!...thats a pile of crap
I understand but these are part timers. I pretty much did what I was told the first 3-4 years at ups.

We need the union doing more stuff to inform the new hires. I would like to see a twice yearly union meeting that's just for people hired within the last 12 month. Everyone gets a contract book and its basically just a Q&A for them.

I understand but these are part timers. I pretty much did what I was told the first 3-4 years at ups.

We need the union doing more stuff to inform the new hires. I would like to see a twice yearly union meeting that's just for people hired within the last 12 month. Everyone gets a contract book and its basically just a Q&A for them.
My steward will file a grievance when he sees a part time sup, working.....then we he gets paid, he cashes the check and gives It to the part timers! Pretty cool! If their is another problem, he also steps. in

MoarTape

My steward will file a grievance when he sees a part time sup, working.....then we he gets paid, he cashes the check and gives It to the part timers!

LOL. My old steward when I was part time would NEVER do that. He would file on supervisors working on other belts or in other areas all the time. And good luck if you ever wanted to ask about union issues if he wasn't on the clock..

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I'm a PT loader. Had some interesting things happen to my belt this week. On Monday, when break was called we were told by the PT sup and cover sup they couldn't get the belt to stop and to "work through PCM" so we continued loading and by the time we stopped, we were 5 minutes into break. Break was not extended and we went back to work as if we had gone on break when it was originally called.

Friday, the same thing happens. Only they didn't tell us any story the sup just said "We're working through the first few minutes, guys." And sure enough, I kept an eye on my watch and break was only 6 minutes long.

No break was given on Thursday because we worked all the way through it. Employees who asked for one received one on an individual basis.

File a grievance....you can choose not to take your break but you are entitled to one...it's in the contract. 10 min after the first hour and before the last hour of the sort.

BrownTexas

LOL. My old steward when I was part time would NEVER do that. He would file on supervisors working on other belts or in other areas all the time. And good luck if you ever wanted to ask about union issues if he wasn't on the clock..
I'd file every minute also. Get paid 2times the amount they work.

MoarTape

I'd file every minute also. Get paid 2times the amount they work.

I have no issue with that. My issue is that other people in the other area may file as well, but our steward would try to get paid himself. If he filed on behalf of a someone in that area, fine by me, but that was never the case.

Call your business agent and let him know about this and file a grievance. That's ridiculous

browntroll

depending on the area in my hub, everyone gets a different break time but only time sup cuts someones break early they tell them
to just retake the whole 10min again.

Johnny Paycheck

I appreciate all the feedback, guys. Like I said, this is something that just started last week, so I will definitely keep an eye on my watch during break and I will be filing if it continues this week or in the future.

Johnny Paycheck

Some states have a law requiring breaks. They are breaking laws if you don't get your full break. Here is link from USDOL to the different states laws. Click here
Nothing came up when I clicked Kansas. The only worker's rights in Kansas is RTW. :cowboy: Especially Eastern KS. Places right on the border like Kansas City, KS (where I live) are obsessed with convincing corporations on the Missouri side to move over so they make everything as easy as possible for big business.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
You're in Local 41. State law doesn't matter. You are entitled to your 10 minute break everyday, no matter what snafu occurs during your shift. It's in our contract. Tell your supervisor that you wont be skipping your break again, and that they need to pay you for the break time not taken, otherwise you will file a grievance. Give them a chance to do right by you. They won't, but let them know what you want, then file your grievance. Make sure you tell them that you've read the contract and that they are, in fact, violating it.

Find out who your steward is, and let him know you need grievance forms.

Johnny Paycheck

Just curious, people talk about weak locals and strong locals on here. What is 41's reputation? A search didn't turn up almost any mentions of us.