Equality in the work place

UpsBro

I'm a twilight loader and we have a women on our belt and our supervisor makes us guys take out the rollers out of the trailer and load all the eregulars at the end of the night while he keeps her doing the light work don't want to sound rude twords the women workers but is that right? Should I talk to the steward?

Ms.PacMan

I'm not sure talking to your steward would help. He's not calling the shots and you all are working as directed (her included). Take it up with your direct supe.

My personal view is that your supe is probably more afraid of an injury on his shift and views her as a potential liability.

JustAnotherSup

I'm not sure talking to your steward would help. He's not calling the shots and you all are working as directed (her included). Take it up with your direct supe.

My personal view is that your supe is probably more afraid of an injury on his shift and views her as a potential liability.

This. Talking to a steward won't help. Talking to a direct supervisor (or their supervisor, if appropriate) might.

And it's not to say that women aren't capable of loading irregs or any of the most physically demanding work we have. It's blatantly not true. I'd guess 90+% of women working these kinds of jobs at UPS are fully capable. It's just benevolent, hostile, or chivalrous sexism that leads (typically male) supervisors to make decisions like described in OP. Unfortunately, good luck demonstrating that your supervisor is making not-proven-merit based decisions based on gender.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm a twilight loader and we have a women on our belt and our supervisor makes us guys take out the rollers out of the trailer and load all the eregulars at the end of the night while he keeps her doing the light work don't want to sound rude twords the women workers but is that right? Should I talk to the steward?

Do you want her to help you move those heavy rollers?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Are they hot?... Go for it stud!

UpsBro

We've talked to our supervisor multiple times and he continues to do it he doesn't follow seniority we talked to him continues to do it next time the guys on our belt are gonna file a grievance so he gets the message

Turdferguson

Just a turd
We've talked to our supervisor multiple times and he continues to do it he doesn't follow seniority we talked to him continues to do it next time the guys on our belt are gonna file a grievance so he gets the message

How is he violating seniority? Is she getting more hours than the higher seniority male workers, or do you think that seniority deals with who has to lift the heavy packages and move heavy rollers

UpsBro

How is he violating seniority? Is she getting more hours than the higher seniority male workers, or do you think that seniority deals with who has to lift the heavy packages and move heavy rollers
He sends her home before all the higher seniority while we take the rollers out