Essential workers like me need real protections

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Essential workers like me need real protections - The News and Observer

When the COVID-19 pandemic hit, I wasn’t focused on what to add to the Netflix queue or how to cancel spring travel plans. I was focused on my delivery route and how to keep my family safe and healthy while I continued to work.

I’m a UPS driver. That means that, according to the state of North Carolina, I’m an essential worker — someone who has to go to work despite the pandemic in order to keep basic services flowing for the rest of the community, including food, utilities, transportation, and health and home care. In my case, I’m delivering packages for over 10 hours a day, five days a week.

Essential workers like me need real protections - The News and Observer

When the COVID-19 pandemic hit, I wasn’t focused on what to add to the Netflix queue or how to cancel spring travel plans. I was focused on my delivery route and how to keep my family safe and healthy while I continued to work.

I’m a UPS driver. That means that, according to the state of North Carolina, I’m an essential worker — someone who has to go to work despite the pandemic in order to keep basic services flowing for the rest of the community, including food, utilities, transportation, and health and home care. In my case, I’m delivering packages for over 10 hours a day, five days a week.
That's what we are all doing.
Some guys and gals are working 6 days a week.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
It's worrisome no question. Even the sport I love so much, football... my Free Safety playing Rover won't even be safe playing the Saints because Brees always licks his lil' fingers! Who's going to swat that ball down?

No fool proof way to stay 100% safe. Family on one side all locked in their house, other side saying c'mon let's bbq & have a corn hole party!

Last night on 60-Minutes ran a segment on the health hazards of their employees at Amazon. They went into a warehouse in Seattle and it was something to see. It was about as good as you could try to protect 'essential' workers. I wondered how real that was to all their other warehouses. Like our UPS training videos that show a loader loading a P-8 with 122 pieces all lip-loaded and perfect from an extremely slow moving belt that has 30-pieces on it all 4' apart.

All I can think of is look after #1 right now. Wear the mask, the gloves, no hugs... no close joke telling or stories, use the wipes.

Do the job and get out safely.

Last edited: