Ethanol Gas / Alternative Fuels - "Off topic"

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
You guys can keep your green cars. I'm just going to wait until Lockheed Martin perfects nuclear fusion within the next few years. I believe 2017 was the date mentioned. Then I'll go out and find me an '81 DeLorean, drop on a Mr. Fusion and have a good old time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You guys can keep your green cars. I'm just going to wait until Lockheed Martin perfects nuclear fusion within the next few years. I believe 2017 was the date mentioned. Then I'll go out and find me an '81 DeLorean, drop on a Mr. Fusion and have a good old time.

Although nuclear fusion may never be an option, hydrogen will be. The only emission is water.

bbsam

Staff member
I still would like to see a diesel electric hybrid. Even a Harley 88 cube used to generate electric power. Imagine the marketing possibilities! !

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I still would like to see a diesel electric hybrid. Even a Harley 88 cube used to generate electric power. Imagine the marketing possibilities! !

Diesel is still considered by many to be a "dirty" fuel. Diesel hybrid sounds like an oxymoron. VW is working really hard to change that mindset with their TDI.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The cost to produce hydrogen needs to come down considerably before hydrogen becomes an option. As of right now, the only effective way to produce the amount of hydrogen needed to fuel North America would be to build a network of nuclear power plants dedicated to the production of hydrogen.

It simply takes too much energy to produce hydrogen for the amount of hydrogen that is produced.

I'm not talking about fueling the entire country----I'm talking about fueling passenger vehicles.

PT Car Washer

It still doesn't solve the problem of producing hydrogen. Hydrogen production is very inefficient and the only way to solve that, as I said above is to build a network of nuclear reactors dedicated to the production of hydrogen. That in itself causes an issue in that nuclear reactors are very expensive as it is.

Production inefficiency is part of the reason why e85 never really caught on. It takes so much energy to produce it that it had to be priced higher than gasoline.
But yet the Federal government has requirements that so much ethanol must be produced each year. With tax credits to make it competitive. Everyone uses E 10 gasoline in my state because it is 15 cents a gallon cheaper.

PT Car Washer

It does wonders,for my lawnmower,generator,and tiller every year. Lots of clogged carburetors and fuel lines.
Ethanol blend is not recommended for small engines. UPS mechanics tell everyone to stay away from it for their personal cars. UPS does not use ethanol blend in package cars. Good enough for me. I would rather spend the extra $2.00 a tank full for regular unleaded gas.

youllbefine

Ethanol blend is not recommended for small engines. UPS mechanics tell everyone to stay away from it for their personal cars. UPS does not use ethanol blend in package cars. Good enough for me. I would rather spend the extra $2.00 a tank full for regular unleaded gas.
We run E85 in our personal vehicles... Sometimes up to a dollar cheaper. Do you guys even know where ethanol comes from?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Problem is, nobody sell non-ethanol gas around here. New fuel lines, higher octane (for mixed gas) and I'm good to go.

PT Car Washer

We run E85 in our personal vehicles... Sometimes up to a dollar cheaper. Do you guys even know where ethanol comes from?
Yeah comes from corn. Drives up the corn prices and the beef and pork prices. Good for the all the farmers in my state, but bad for people wanting to eat. I have an E 85 Ranger. Used E 85 and got 12 mpg. Use regular gas and get 17 mpg. I live in the corn belt.