ethics in management

DS

Fenderbender
intimidation vs. encouragement
Almost 20 years at ups has taught me a lot about people.
It seems to me that managers that rule with intimidation as opposed to encouragement,will appear effective to the thier peers,but in reality,the disdain of the employees,will far outweigh the positives .I myself,have had both kinds,and I found being a ups driver can be rewarding if your center manager actually listens and cares about your daily problems.
Moreluck mentioned once that one time,she and her hubby,a former center manager now retired,were out driving in thier car one day and they came upon a driver that he used to work with.She said the driver looked chagrined and gave the "hang on" sign,he jumped up quick and closed his bulkhead door,smiled and gave the "thumbs up" sign.NOW Now THATS respect.If I was ever to go into management,I would live by the old addage,You can catch more flies with sugar than vinegar.
I guess Im venting because at our ctr we have a new little Hitler,and I dont like him.I wish he'd stay in his bunker.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
DS

The hitlers come and go. And when they are gone, you will still be doing the same job you did when they got there.

I always looked at it this way. I work for UPS, not you. I will still be working for UPS when you are gone. THat made the harrassment easier to take.

d

farmerbrown

In 1956, a Manager asked Jim Casey this question, "what would lead the downfall of UPS?" Jim replied "when we stop inspiring people"

You said it all Mr. V.
When I was an unloader away back in the day, I was volunteered by my center sup to unload a huge bumper that the feeder backs into. The big metal portion that the cusion attaches to. When we got it off of the truck the sup realizes that it is in the wrong area, so we have to lug it around the building. Just then the division manager pulls up in a car and jumps out. I think oh great, what is this all about. He say's "let me give you guys a hand" and he picks up an end and helped us lug it around the other side of the building. He got his suit all messed up and when we dropped it he wanted to introduced himself and thanked us!!! I had heard alot lot of bad things about this particular guy but he really did care about his people AND the business. David A**** was a total stud that day.

Last edited by a moderator:

browniehound

In 1956, a Manager asked Jim Casey this question, "what would lead the downfall of UPS?" Jim replied "when we stop inspiring people"

MR,
I think UPS is lacking in this department. I say this because I am not "inspired" by our managers. I'm not saying that I dislike them, I'm just not inspired by them.

Saying that, even though I wasn't alive when Jim Casey was, he inspires me. Believe it or not, I'm proud to be a UPS driver. I've seen the videos and read some about Jim Casey. He was a man with tremendous vision from what I've read. To start a company that is in existence 100+ years after he made his first call is truly amazing!

If I were to start my own business today, I would take everything I've learned at UPS and apply it to my business. Just by doing this, I know I would be the most efficent person selling my "widgets."

So, I like my job at UPS for the pay, benefits, job security, being outdoors, and the satisfaction of completeing a hard day of work that many of our fellow lazy Americans couldn't fathom, In that order.

Like I said, I wish I could start my own thing but working at UPS is a priviledge.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I have had several managers that inspired their fellow workers to blossom into personal greatness. One was a marine that was on the commercial for recruiting marines. You know, the one where he snaps the saber to the shoulder?

Anyway, its a shame that these were few in number, and were forced out of management because of over educated, under motivated, politically correct idiots, that have only one thing in mind. Keeping that nose right up the bosses crack.

WIth that as their goal in life, is it any wonder that the company is having issues with employee enthusiasm?

d

wannabeups

Even though I have been with UPS a short amount of time people, both hourly and management have realized that you treat me with respect, and not like a dog. I will be there for you no matter what the crisis or problem in both your professional and personal life to help in anyway I can.

Treat me like a dog, and I'll confront your :censored2: off property person to person see if you have the testicles to talk your smack when you are all alone with no witness.

I am even understanding when someone goes "off the handle" cursing me etc. Sometimes people say things in the heat of the moment. If you don't come up later and say something like, "hey man I am sorry, I've been under pressure yadda yadda yadda," the I will put my arm around you and say hey, "Its all right, no problem" and it will be a dead issue.

You go off the handle on me and not apologize, give you the opportunity to go into a locked room with no windows and no witnesses to give you a chance to talk your smack.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Show me a long term manager who is ethical, honest, compassionate and competent...and I will show you a 52-year-old on car supervisor who has no hope of getting promoted. Those guys are the best ones to work for, they have accepted their fate and are just putting in their time. The worst ones are the climbers who will do anything to generate the numbers that will get them promoted.

satellitedriver

Show me a long term manager who is ethical, honest, compassionate and competent...and I will show you a 52-year-old on car supervisor who has no hope of getting promoted. Those guys are the best ones to work for, they have accepted their fate and are just putting in their time. The worst ones are the climbers who will do anything to generate the numbers that will get them promoted.
Yes and No.
I agree with your general concept.
Sometimes,the most dangerous are the burned out 50+yr old managers who are not on track for promotion. They are like the drowning man that will try and grasp at any straw to keep them afloat.

filthpig

In my 20 yrs I've seen them all. It seems to me that they usually have an easy going guy for a while, then bring in "the Hammer" to shake things up for about 2 years.

JustTired

free at last.......
There came a point when the game changed. It was "numbers, at any cost".

Those that would not compromise their integrity either left or were let go. Those that remained are what we have to deal with now. Some enjoy the turmoil, others are just trying to get to retirement.

I have a lot of respect for those that walked away. They seen the direction things were going and wanted no part of it. I have respect for some that were let go. A lot of them thought this would pass and tried to ride it out. The trouble was that it didn't pass and they couldn't change. So they were shown the door.

So, we are left with what we have. Good ones (the ones that will tell you things are screwed up) are few and far between. They can't afford ethics.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Tired

I think you are pretty much on track. There are many that are hanging on, with the hope that this too shall pass. And I hope it will.

When a company can make some really boneheaded policy like the no left turns (a real joke among engineers in the field) that shows the world they are trying to micromanage every aspect of the business, and that business manages to make a profit, it sends out the wrong message to the pencil pushers that they were solely responsible for the profit. Not anyone else.

The more they manage for control, and the more they micro manage, the less actual control they will have. And the less customer focused the company will end up, a big mistake in my opinion.

d

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
MR,

So, I like my job at UPS for the pay, benefits, job security, being outdoors, and the satisfaction of completeing a hard day of work that many of our fellow lazy Americans couldn't fathom, In that order.

Exactly (except for Jan, feb, and March pretty much was awful)

In my 20 yrs I've seen them all. It seems to me that they usually have an easy going guy for a while, then bring in "the Hammer" to shake things up for about 2 years.
I have noticed the exact same thing.
But as Dannyboy said. We will still be there when hitler leaves.

Channahon

Having been in UPS management for 27 years, and recently retired in 2006, I would like to address some of the issues here. Please keep in mind, I am only speaking from my personal experiences in a few region and districts that I have worked as a Supervisor, Business and Division Manager.

Not all UPS management aspire to go to the next level, which at one time meant a relocation, depending on the district, region or corporate needs. Not all UPS management want the additional responsibility that comes with the next level.

I have seen UPS management leave, although not being forced out, but in the best interest of both UPS and the employeee. There have been many changes impacting UPS management over the years, and I can't say they are all the best changes, however, in the business world today, UPS is still one of the best companies.

UPS is not an easy company to work for, in any position, being it management, non management or union. The company is very demanding from a performance and attaining goals set by Region and Corporate.

I have always strived to improve my numbers, from a base to the goal, however, if I did not make my goal, at least I was showing improvement. That is how I trained my management people over the years, show improvement and your effort will be recognized.

As far as the micro managing, it is a horrendous way to motivate a center team or division. Personally, I see no value in Region positions, as they cannot even make a decision without Corporate approval. Now there is some money that can be saved for UPS. And that is the direction UPS is moving, as at one time there were 11 regions, now down to a handful.

Jim Casey was a visionary, and over the years, UPS CEO's made changes as necessary to keep UPS competitive in the industry. Jim's people philosphy has always been taught at UPS along with providing the best service for our customers.

Managers who rule with intimidation, are on ego trips, in my opinion. And in my opinion, are not always the most effective managers. Sure sometimes UPS management gets hot under the collar, who doesn't working for UPS. But the key is to know when you can express yourself in a strong manner, to get your point across.

However, a good manager will have all UPS employees interest at the forefront, as no one manager can do this job alone. It is a team effort from everyone who works in the operation.

And yes, over the years, I have worked with UPS management where conflict was an issue, and at times, I challenged myself as a UPS management person, but in the end, I found a way to manage the situation, and contribute to the success of UPS.

So here I sit, happily retired and enjoying others viewpoints on UPS from all perspectives of the company today.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I work to the best of my ability at all times, and try to make a difference. If a anyone wants to denegrate, holler scream.....so be it, it is a reflection on himself, not me. If I show an ethical work manner, maybe I will be an example for someone else. It is the person with the attitude that carries the baggage.

sx2700

Banned
I have always strived to improve my numbers, from a base to the goal, however, if I did not make my goal, at least I was showing improvement. That is how I trained my management people over the years, show improvement and your effort will be recognized.

And the minute you achieve your goal they change the standard. They increase the goal because some dressed up dummy somewhere needs to justify his job by showing an "improvement".

A

Anonymous Craven

There came a point when the game changed. It was "numbers, at any cost".

It seems like the "numbers at any cost" came around the same time UPS went public and stopped doing what was right for the company and started doing what was right for the investors.

And the policy of integrity being the number one priority is a crock. With few exceptions, I've seen management get rewarded for lying and cheating on numbers. If integrity was number one, a lying, cheating manager will be fired forever after the formal investigation, not moved quietly to another building/district. I used to be a supervisor at UPS. I enjoyed the challenge, I liked my employees (well, most of them), and the benefits were good. Our department always was a good ol' boys club though, and when I found cold, hard evidence of another sup in my department lying on both timecard AND workers comp numbers, I turned him in to my manager. Who did nothing. So I went to HR. Who did nothing. So I went to the DM, who gave a rah-rah speech at reportback saying to call his cell phone anytime something came up. HE DID NOTHING. When I went back to my manager saying that I was going to call the 1-800 number, he told me he'd take care of it. Know what he did? Moved me to another department.

Know what I did? I quit. Got a new job with a company who pays better, with better benefits, and no military-degrading-we'll break you down but we won't build you up crap. And my new company has a motto - "Truth, always and quickly." And from what I've seen so far, they actually practice it.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I see that too SX2700. Here at work there is a great number of times when they "up the standard" just as you report. When I have an issue with someone over the methods and proceedures, I enclose a copy of the correct directive highlighted as a reference and suggest that if we wish to change the policy, (In written format), then we can address the issue again. It keeps everyone on the same sheet of music.