EU-US Jumpseat

J

Jumpseat Newbie

Morning all,

I'm scheduled to jumpseat from the UK to the US, on a freight aircraft, for business purposes. I know the names of the operating crew, but have no previous experience with them. Aside from the usual courtesies, etiquette etc. does anyone have any advice on how to improve the chances of being allowed on the flight deck? I have already emailed the Chief Pilot...

I have a jumpseat booking, but as usual it is the Captain's final decision on whom he/she accepts.

Many thanks.

drewed

Shankman
On a UPS aircraft? well its completely up to the captain, on most freight aircraft the jumpseats are right behind the flight deck so imagine if you check before take off it shouldnt be much of a problem

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
This is a picture of me sitting in the pilot seat of a UPS DC8 at the Atlanta Gateway back in June, 2001. These cockpits are very small, the rest of the plane is all air containers. If they do let people fly in a jumpseat, don't worry, you will be in the cockpit.
dc8.jpg

J

Jumpseat Newbie

Yeah, on a UPS aircraft. I've travelled on a jumpseat within Europe before, although this was with a freight airline it was not with UPS.

T

TheTuve

Jumpseating on UPS flights is in the end up to the Captain. If you get to jumpseat or not depends if there are other jumpseaters and the Captain feels the flight deck will be too crowded he might deny you to jumpseat. I wish you a pleasant trip, the 767 flight deck is pretty spacious.

UPS Lifer

After 911 - there were strict restrictions to jump seat flying. It is extremely rare that anyone is allowed to jump seat. You need to be a pilot or Operations Manager or higher with proper TSA/SIDA clearance to even be considered. It is up to the Chief Pilot with the final authority of the captain to be able to jump seat.

So good luck with that jump seat !!

UPS Lifer

This is a picture of me sitting in the pilot seat of a UPS DC8 at the Atlanta Gateway back in June, 2001. These cockpits are very small, the rest of the plane is all air containers. If they do let people fly in a jumpseat, don't worry, you will be in the cockpit.

Scratch,
The jump seats on a 747 are recliners (there are usually 4-6). They sit behind the enclosed cockpit on the upper level.

You have to be a ranking UPSCO employee or a Grade 19 or higher with proper clearance to jump seat. It would be very rare for any other circumstance.

Ain't gonna happen for just anybody... Before 911 maybe but not now!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
UPS Lifer,
I figured they didn't fly DC-8s across the ocean, these things are antiques. The passenger airlines quit flying them years ago. I am sure they fly some type of Boeing across the ocean, I don't know about the range of an Airbus. And I have been at out Atlanta Gateway picking up EAMs and seeing some Corporate looking guys getting off the planes. I also deliver to a lady UPS pilot on my area, she looks so young!

J

Jumpseat Newbie

Thanks for the responses everyone. There'll be a few of us flying on jumpseats (or hoping to) although I'm the only one from the Europe Region.

Grade 19, I am not, although I do have approval from the Chief Pilots Office. I'll keep everything crossed and hope for the best.

Once again, thanks for your time.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
UPS Lifer, And I have been at out Atlanta Gateway picking up EAMs and seeing some Corporate looking guys getting off the planes. I also deliver to a lady UPS pilot on my area, she looks so young!

When I did the local AM shuttle to our small airport the same thing happened. A good looking young lady in a UPS Flight crew uniform got out of the contracted shuttle plane as soon as the pilot shut it down. I found out I had delivered to her Mom & Dad for years, she was home for the weekend.

Dutch Dawg

Uh...did the thought not cross anyone else's mind that someone with enough position within this company to jumpseat is not going to go to Brown Cafe for insight on jumpseating.

I'm gonna have to call into question the credibility of the original post here.

Don't get me wrong I read Cafe all the time for the latest rumors and tidbits.......:happy-very:

I'll bet anonymous aka Jumpseat Newbie is going to AirVenture next week and they wanna do it in style....yea that's the ticket.

J

Jumpseat Newbie

This is the first time I have jumpseated with the UPS airline having previously flown with other carriers working for UPS, and hence wanted some insight into the 'ins and outs' of the likelihood of being accepted.

If people are going to start suggesting that I am lying or my "credibility" is somewhat wayward, this is fine - it is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it, but I was hoping for some form of constructive assistance.

Thanks for your time anyway.

satellitedriver

Cast Away--wasn't that the 2 hour Fed Ex commercial?
Yeah, it was.
What dummy would not open a box looking for survival equipment having being trapped on an island?
It could have had a satellite cell phone with GPS tracking in it.
!5 minutes later they would have been on the way to rescue him.
It would have made a short movie, but we would not have to sit through it to see a movie without a defined ending.
Fedex is better at PR than UPS.