Even worse than SOPA: New CISPA cybersecurity bill will censor the Web

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Even worse than SOPA: New CISPA cybersecurity bill will censor the Web

An onrush of condemnation and criticism kept the SOPA and PIPA acts from passing earlier this year, but US lawmakers have already authored another authoritarian bill that could give them free reign to creep the Web in the name of cybersecurity.

As congressmen in Washington consider how to handle the ongoing issue of cyberattacks, some legislators have lent their support to a new act that, if passed, would let the government pry into the personal correspondence of anyone of their choosing.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Hidden Dangers of CISPA

Just to be clear: Sharing information about legitimate cyber threats is a good idea. Using cyber threats to give a blank check to corporations so they can bypass our Constitutional rights? Not a good idea.

What can you do about it? Educate your local Congressional representatives about the Internet. Sign online petitions. Tweet your concerns. Tell Facebook’s Kaplan to take that blog post and stuff it where the CISPA doesn’t shine. Bang on pots and pans. Complain, loudly and incessantly.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
CISPA Zombie Bill Is Back, With Fewer Privacy Concerns…Maybe? - Mother Jones

Privacy advocates aren't happy to see that the "zombie bill" is returning—it's been killed and resurrected twice since it was originally introduced by Rep. Mike Rogers (R-Mich.) in 2011. "This summer has confirmed that any information that goes into the NSA will be shrouded by secrecy and there will be no oversight," says Michelle Richardson, a legislative counsel with the ACLU. "Since this is a domestic issue, the NSA is more likely to get involved...and companies haven't provided concrete examples that they even need this legislation, especially when it's this broad."

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
Mike Rogers is untouchable. You get what you pay for. The only way to make him insignificant is for the Dems to take the house next year. He will never be voted out.