Ever have someone try to break into your truck?

SpoolEmUp

Anyone ever have a route into a sketchy neighborhood and have someone try to break into their truck/start a confrontation?I had to cover a route for a driver that asked if I would so he could take the day off. "I said sure, no problem. What do I need to know?" After giving me the usual loading dock gate codes/special instructions he mentioned he keeps a bat in his truck and mentioned a couple neighborhoods to be careful in. Lol, what? Anyways, maybe this is just NY, but have any of you had issues/interesting stories on the subject?

UPSGUY72

Anyone ever have a route into a sketchy neighborhood and have someone try to break into their truck/start a confrontation?I had to cover a route for a driver that asked if I would so he could take the day off. "I said sure, no problem. What do I need to know?" After giving me the usual loading dock gate codes/special instructions he mentioned he keeps a bat in his truck and mentioned a couple neighborhoods to be careful in. Lol, what? Anyways, maybe this is just NY, but have any of you had issues/interesting stories on the subject?

You drive a truck ?

AKCoverMan

No but last week I was in a "no DR" neighborhoood, coming out of an apartment complex when two young women pull up in an SUV and ask me if I was delivering to apartment 2? I say no, start to continue back to the PC. "Six?" they ask. "Three?"

In fact I had stopped to do a DFU for one of the few apartments she had not asked me about so I just said, "No I don't have a delivery here" and went on my way.

Weird.

AKX

Guy on the route beside mine had a bum get up in the cab and steal his smokes outta the cup holder. Twice! LOL

hdkappler

Guy on the route beside mine had a bum get up in the cab and steal his smokes outta the cup holder. Twice! LOL
good he shouldn't smoke anyway.some day i think brown will not allow there drivers to smoke in trucks.customers think it looks bad.

Leftinbuilding

Years ago (before locking the bulkhead was mandatory) we had an incident where a "bum" went into the car and grabbed a package. So happened the one he grabbed was a leaking hazardous material. Acid-type liquid ran down his legs and burned his privates. He sued UPS and won some money.

AKX

I can totally agree with that. My truck got swapped with that of a satelite route a few weeks back. The satelite driver smokes, the trash can had probably 40 butts in it. I had a headache by the time I made it to my 1st stop from the smell. Needless to say I dumped the trash can and rode around with the doors open for a while to air it out. Even stopped by the house on the way in and windexed everything to freshen it up.

Re-Raise

When I first started driving I had a package come back to a guy who ran a hotel as refused on the other end.

He was a strange guy and said that he ordered it and was told if he was unhappy with it he could return it. I told him the service cross on the package said that the place he had sent it back to was out of business. Open hearing this he ran to my package car with the package and threw the package into the truck and said he wasn't taking it back.

At this point in my UPS career I would probably have started laughing , but at that point years ago I had no idea what to do. I told him to get out of my truck while I called the center manager. He explained to the man that we would just send it to overgoods and that it wouldn't help him get his money back if we kept the package. The man kept the package.

So to answer your question I have never had anyone take anything from the package car,but I did have to stop someone from throwing packages into the package car.

Big Babooba

Many years ago in the hood we had a driver return to his truck after a delivery to find a drunk passed out behind the wheel.

rod

Retired 22 years
I surprised 2 kids when they opened my back door (pre lock days) not realizing I was standing in the back doing some paperwork. I was able to grab one. He insisted he only wanted to see what was in the truck and he wasn't going to steal anything. (Sure kid). I let him go with a good lecture. Now if you are talking about stealing gas, my old center gets hit alot by the gas siphoneers. The trucks are left out in an unfenced parking lot so they get hit at least once or twice a month especially on weekends.

raceanoncr

Yep. When I was P/C driver, backed up to delivery door of high-end clothes shop. Had lousy pre-loader so had to dump some stuff on back bumper of P/C whilst sorting for more. Came back from front inside of P/C and saw, what looked like, some big fur-holding (not furry) boxes gone. Peeked around corner of truck to see "well-meaning" homeboys carting off said boxes. Yelled, "Get back here with those". They said they thot they were garbage and were doing me a favor hauling em off. Brought em back too. I musta looked meaner than I do today.