Ex Management Pension Buy Out

25 years Served

Sooooo...... Have you heard?

UPS has sent cards out to "former" management employees notifying them of the "opportunity" to get a one time Pension buy out now- rather than waiting to hit 55 or 65.

Interesting right?

The goal is to improve the "balance sheet". If successful take rate occurs- what would it mean to those still employed?
Perhaps they could improve the sheets even more.....:happy-very:

What have you heard- inquiring minds want to know!

Catatonic

Nine Lives

UPS has sent cards out to "former" management employees notifying them of the "opportunity" to get a one time Pension buy out now- rather than waiting to hit 55 or 65.

Interesting right?

The goal is to improve the "balance sheet". If successful take rate occurs- what would it mean to those still employed?

My understanding (rumor mill) is that they have been looking at this for existing management as well.

Heard through 2 different sources in the last three months.

kristian

I was a manager for 10 years and I never received a card or offer. One of my friends I worked there with received both. Anybody else not received theirs or know what's up with it? Thanks.

UPSGUY72

Not a good deal. Just leave it there. Most of the people that take the buy out. Will take money and spend it. The have nothing for retirement.

Finiky

This is a change in the law. Previously, any person who left UPS and had $1,000 or less in their pension was given the money to lessen the administrative expenses of maintaining. The law changed to $5,000 so now more persons are being given their money left behind. Nothing really exciting.

25 years Served

This is a change in the law. Previously, any person who left UPS and had $1,000 or less in their pension was given the money to lessen the administrative expenses of maintaining. The law changed to $5,000 so now more persons are being given their money left behind. Nothing really exciting.

Right- under $5,000 monthly benefit they will cash you out in present day values..... no option to leave it- either you pick a plan to move it to, or they will roll it into a new 401k they'll setup for you.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I saw a mention in the 3rd quarter stock statement that mentioned a one-time write-off related to previous employee pension funds.

Anyone know if that was related to this?

mg5

Hoaxster, I know I could be jumping the gun on this But....Thinking out a little. If this is at all true and any money would be taken and put into a 401k

account or something it would take away the 55 year old retirement because you now go by 401k rules of 59 1/2. Just thinking out loud. Hmmmm

How does medical play into the picture. More questions. Just saying.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoaxster, I know I could be jumping the gun on this But....Thinking out a little. If this is at all true and any money would be taken and put into a 401k

account or something it would take away the 55 year old retirement because you now go by 401k rules of 59 1/2. Just thinking out loud. Hmmmm

How does medical play into the picture. More questions. Just saying.

This was for ex-UPS management and non-Union that quit before reaching age 55.
Therefore, they have no medical benefits.
This is a payout outside of funds being put into 401k.
These payouts would be immediately taxable by recipients as normal income.

Similar to the SVSO in 2007 but no Medical concerns.
Note, the UPS Retirement Health Care plan is not part of the UPS Retirement Plan and is not restricted to the rules inherent.

Jlhkw78

Interesting right?