Excessive Backing?

boxhandler

OK telematics has been in place for awhile now and UPS management has gotten new toys to play with (i.e. Orion). My on car gets with me a couple weeks ago and says I'm not efficient enough with my Orion percentage, even though I'm beating the miles by 15%. My backing is more than it needs to be because I'm putting myself at risk. Even though I am following my methods. However I have a monthly avg spoh that he says won't be beat. I know 8 years of safety is only a drop in the hat but when will we be allowed to do our jobs? My extra 10-15 short backing for a 3 point turn saves me about a mile a day of walking. Last I checked I was a UPS DRIVER not a UPS WALKER. I guess along with my rant I would like to ask if there is anything he can do for me backing more than he wants me to? They love to use the term "not working as directed", but at who's expense? The risk of backing or my safety (knees)?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
My management team just LOVES guys like you in our Center!

If he dosent want you to back,then DONT! Drive however far after the stop to get turned around with out backing,walk those packages up those long drive ways. Follow ORION 100% in trace and forget all about that SPORH crap.

I try never to back as we have been told 80% of accidents are from backing,and I also stay out of driveways due to the likeihood of damaging the customer's property.

Ouch

My management team just LOVES guys like you in our Center!

If he dosent ant you to back,then DONT! Drive however far after the stop to get turned around with out backing,walk those packages up those long drive ways. Follow ORION 100% in trace and forget all about that SPORH crap.

I try never to back as we have been told 80% of accidents are from backing,and I also stay out of driveways due to the likeihood of damaging the customer's property.
And your stop count goes down. Wiiiinnneerrrrrr. You sir are beating them at their on game. If everybody would do this, they would have a day they could get done without running. They will get tired of sending you
Help and they will adjust your stop count all because you are working as instructed.

icu

for who you are !
An outburst like this from one of my guys is met with a yawn and an eye roll. Then I go straight to the crapper. True story !!!

brostalss

Remember, the drivers can NEVER be right. We are always doing something wrong or unsafe. I back upwards of 60 times a day. They haven't said one word to me. I drive a P12 in residential on streets not designed for vehicles that big. Three point turns on all those cul-de-sacs. Garbage day is even more fun.

But get those sales leads.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I believe one of the rules of backing that I just filled out the other day said something along the lines of. Ultimately the decision of when to back lies with the driver. I'll back when I feel the need to back simple as that.

Our newest kick with all the bad weather is 5 times a day we get messages saying be careful don't take any chances out there. I got news I start taking chances the second I get out of bed. It's called life. You're at risk 24/7.

icu

for who you are !
Remember, the drivers can NEVER be right. We are always doing something wrong or unsafe. I back upwards of 60 times a day. They haven't said one word to me. I drive a P12 in residential on streets not designed for vehicles that big. Three point turns on all those cul-de-sacs. Garbage day is even more fun.

But get those sales leads.

You left out Liars, Cheaters, an Thieves. True Story !!!

Brownsfan

We were told in our center backing didn't matter anymore. All that matters is Orion trace right or wrong. The latter is usually what occurs.

Sent using BrownCafe App

OK telematics has been in place for awhile now and UPS management has gotten new toys to play with (i.e. Orion). My on car gets with me a couple weeks ago and says I'm not efficient enough with my Orion percentage, even though I'm beating the miles by 15%. My backing is more than it needs to be because I'm putting myself at risk. Even though I am following my methods. However I have a monthly avg spoh that he says won't be beat. I know 8 years of safety is only a drop in the hat but when will we be allowed to do our jobs? My extra 10-15 short backing for a 3 point turn saves me about a mile a day of walking. Last I checked I was a UPS DRIVER not a UPS WALKER. I guess along with my rant I would like to ask if there is anything he can do for me backing more than he wants me to? They love to use the term "not working as directed", but at who's expense? The risk of backing or my safety (knees)?
Just go out there and do it like they say. It might be stupid but they pay you to be stupid. Work as instructed and follow all there rules as long as they are safe. Eight years safe driving is an accomplishment and you shouldn't degrade this. Follow there methods do it safely and they will eventually realize it's not going to work. Beat them at their own game. Try not to get discouraged and have courage.

kingOFchester

Just go out there and do it like they say. It might be stupid but they pay you to be stupid. Work as instructed and follow all there rules as long as they are safe. Eight years safe driving is an accomplishment and you shouldn't degrade this. Follow there methods do it safely and they will eventually realize it's not going to work. Beat them at their own game. Try not to get discouraged and have courage.

Once you stop worrying about "getting done" and trying to make what you feel is the best decision, the sooner you will be free of the shackles that they try to put us in. It makes for a better day to just work as instructed. I realized this over a year ago, just takes time to actually implement the change from a decision maker to a robot.

As one senior driver said to me, UPS has a choice. I either go out there and make decisions as a professional driver, or I work 100% as directed. Their systems make it impossible for them to have it both ways so why even try.

Once you stop worrying about "getting done" and trying to make what you feel is the best decision, the sooner you will be free of the shackles that they try to put us in. It makes for a better day to just work as instructed. I realized this over a year ago, just takes time to actually implement the change from a decision maker to a robot.

As one senior driver said to me, UPS has a choice. I either go out there and make decisions as a professional driver, or I work 100% as directed. Their systems make it impossible for them to have it both ways so why even try.
100% spot on brother

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Backs go up when in the snow. Do you think we can get our CS to comprehend that fact? During good weather I can go all day and rarely have to back. The other day I had 35. Got stuck 2 times in the snow. Someday she will get it.

boxhandler

And your stop count goes down. Wiiiinnneerrrrrr. You sir are beating them at their on game. If everybody would do this, they would have a day they could get done without running. They will get tired of sending you
Help and they will adjust your stop count all because you are working as instructed.

This isn't about numbers and it's not a game to me. That's the whole point. I don't live for the job I do the job for a living. I love doing what I do but don't bleed brown.

Sent using BrownCafe App

boxhandler

My courage comes from doing what I believe is right for me. Not being a chimp with a DIAD and doing what they say is the way when I know it's stupid. Sorry I don't get paid enough to give bad service and be stupid.

Sent using BrownCafe App

boxhandler

"Trying to get done" is because I love me kids more than I like my customers. I am a single dad of two great boys and would rather be home with them in the evenings not driving a big brown coffin.

Sent using BrownCafe App

boxhandler

I believe one of the rules of backing that I just filled out the other day said something along the lines of. Ultimately the decision of when to back lies with the driver. I'll back when I feel the need to back simple as that.

Our newest kick with all the bad weather is 5 times a day we get messages saying be careful don't take any chances out there. I got news I start taking chances the second I get out of bed. It's called life. You're at risk 24/7.
Ok thank you my slave brother. I even remember a center manager telling another driver. We don't get paid the wage we get paid to deliver boxes. We get that wage to make decisions. Thank you for reminding me. Glad to see there's a driver on this site and not all prospect management saying just do what they say and you'll be fine. Last I checked my mom wasn't my supervisor. So don't be my mom, Just sit back and supervise.ok off to work now. Cheers.

Sent using BrownCafe App

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I guess along with my rant I would like to ask if there is anything he can do for me backing more than he wants me to? They love to use the term "not working as directed", but at who's expense? The risk of backing or my safety (knees)?

To answer your question; no. You cannot be disciplined for failing to generate an arbitrary metric. Any action you take to keep from showing up on one of their reports will automatically cause you to appear on a different one, so regardless of what choices you make your supervisor will always have something to bitch about. Focus on doing the job as safely and efficiently as possible, and when your sup comes up and starts whining about numbers and reports just smile, say "I'll work on that", and tune him out. Eventually he will go away and bother someone else.

boxhandler

To answer your question; no. You cannot be disciplined for failing to generate an arbitrary metric. Any action you take to keep from showing up on one of their reports will automatically cause you to appear on a different one, so regardless of what choices you make your supervisor will always have something to bitch about. Focus on doing the job as safely and efficiently as possible, and when your sup comes up and starts whining about numbers and reports just smile, say "I'll work on that", and tune him out. Eventually he will go away and bother someone else.

Thank you. Have a great day. Cheers.

Sent using BrownCafe App