Excessive overtime and JR drivers off before me.

What exactly are the rules in regards to if I want to get off the clock before people with lower seniority? I’m not talking 9.5, I’m talking something completely different. I’m talking about passing the work along. Every day I tell them I don’t want to work all these hours yet I consistently go over 9.5 and then some. Even on days when most people are going over 9.5 I’m working 11 1/2 hours when almost everyone else below me is working about 10. And most days half of them are not even working 9.5. But there’s a good 50 people with lower seniority clocking off before me day after day and I’m told is that I’m working longer than a planned day so there’s nothing they can do for me. They say it would be favoritism if they put me out with a lesser planned day then other people. Which is complete BS because they know that the planned day doesn’t line up with what I get done. Union rep is worthless for help. I’ve got my grievance form right here I’m just not sure what to put on it. Yes I’m on the 9.5 list, yes I page everyday, yet I grieve it, and yes I get paid out. I just want my time back.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
You have 9.5 and that’s it. Bc other people do the job faster doesn’t man you can give them your work because you are lazy. You signed up for this, if you don’t like it maybe this job is not for you.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
100% ORION, 14 hour days until they back off!
...very calmly approach your supervisor and tell him you will be following Orion 100% and taking full hour lunch moving forward
🧔✊

ManInBrown

What exactly are the rules in regards to if I want to get off the clock before people with lower seniority? I’m not talking 9.5, I’m talking something completely different. I’m talking about passing the work along. Every day I tell them I don’t want to work all these hours yet I consistently go over 9.5 and then some. Even on days when most people are going over 9.5 I’m working 11 1/2 hours when almost everyone else below me is working about 10. And most days half of them are not even working 9.5. But there’s a good 50 people with lower seniority clocking off before me day after day and I’m told is that I’m working longer than a planned day so there’s nothing they can do for me. They say it would be favoritism if they put me out with a lesser planned day then other people. Which is complete BS because they know that the planned day doesn’t line up with what I get done. Union rep is worthless for help. I’ve got my grievance form right here I’m just not sure what to put on it. Yes I’m on the 9.5 list, yes I page everyday, yet I grieve it, and yes I get paid out. I just want my time back.
Everything by the methods 100%. Bring it in at 14 with missed stops. File, collect. Rinse and repeat until they are tired of giving you free money. I don’t know where you work, but when I was in package, after about three of four weeks of breaking off that free cheddar, the dispatches change, because someone up above makes a call. Just from personal experience, they hate giving away that free money.

You might work somewhere where they just don’t care. In that case you’re SOL unless you ask for a sit down with the union and figure out a solution. I thought I read on here in the past after a certain number of weeks they have to adjust your dispatch. It never came to that for me so I don’t know how that works.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not much you can do

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Everything by the methods 100%. Bring it in at 14 with missed stops. File, collect. Rinse and repeat until they are tired of giving you free money. I don’t know where you work, but when I was in package, after about three of four weeks of breaking off that free cheddar, the dispatches change, because someone up above makes a call. Just from personal experience, they hate giving away that free money.

You might work somewhere where they just don’t care. In that case you’re SOL unless you ask for a sit down with the union and figure out a solution. I thought I read on here in the past after a certain number of weeks they have to adjust your dispatch. It never came to that for me so I don’t know how that works.
That worked before covid. They don’t let 9.5 grievance here go to the local, they just settle it.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
I have to agree with the other responses I've seen stating that you should slow down. My guess is you're either a runner gunner or a piece of crap. They will continue to ride you into the ground because you get it done. If you slow down take 14 and bring stops back they should stop but then again they may just not care.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
After 3 violations, there is supposed to be a meeting with the district labor manager regarding the excessive dispatch. I'd file requesting a meeting with them.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
That worked before covid. They don’t let 9.5 grievance here go to the local, they just settle it.

Correct. And this just goes to show how scummy they are. When they pull routes out and pay 9.5's, they're still making money hand over fist.

I've been saying this for a while: every driver at this company should be filing 9.5 whenever eligible. It's no longer looked upon as an inconvenience by IE, rather its just the cost of doing business.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Correct. And this just goes to show how scummy they are. When they pull routes out and pay 9.5's, they're still making money hand over fist.

I've been saying this for a while: every driver at this company should be filing 9.5 whenever eligible. It's no longer looked upon as an inconvenience by IE, rather its just the cost of doing business.
The trouble is the word "grievance", which is why I believe the union should start calling it time bonus. You sign the bonus form to get UPS's overtime rebate. Nothing taken, nothing given.

Whither

Scofflaw

Luckily my building went on a hiring spree starting in late spring. Senior drivers had never seen anything like it. While I was on vacation at the end of August my route was still going out with over 300 delivery stops (and had been averaging ~215 stops Tues-Fri for months) ... but since returning they added another permanent route in my loop and I haven't been dispatched more than 210. Haven't had to file a single 9.5. Past few weeks I've even gotten my post office back, stop counts back to normal, e.g., 170 or less every day ... and once a week punching out with less than 8 paid hours without breaking the guarantee. All centers in the building have been sending a few drivers home a couple days a week. I'm cherishing these 42-43 hour weeks because peak is just around the corner.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Request an 8 hour day?

Yep.

I understand the OP's concern.

Seeing junior drivers, working lesser hours, is frustrating.

The route he is running probably has a jacked up time study, and the dispatch person is relying on a "computer" plan.

(not that IE will ever do a physical time study.... or they even know how)

Trying to throw other drivers under the bus, is not how you effectuate change.

-Bug-