EXCLUSIVE: UPS dismisses 250 Queens drivers after they protested against long-time employee's dismis

Returntosender

UPS has delivered a special message to 250 of its Queens drivers: You’re fired!
The Atlanta-based company is booting 250 of its unionized drivers from its Maspeth facility because they walked off the job for 90 minutes Feb. 26 to protest the dismissal of a long-time employee, UPS told the Daily News.
Twenty employees were terminated Monday after their shifts — and the remaining 230 notified that they’ll be canned as soon as replacements are trained, a company spokesman said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...-250-queens-drivers-protest-article-1.1742718

Avalon

Avalon
We should all be concerned?

Don't walk out on your job and you won't get fired. Solidarity is a beautiful thing but not when it comes to walking out. Signs should have been made and a protest in front of the center is what should have happened, not a walk out (maybe a service slow down).

Let's remember who feeds us and our families, its U.P.S. Yes as big of jerks as they can be they are the ones who takes care if us. Not a driver who was wrongfully terminated (who was probably going to get his job back anyways).

Many here will hate my opinion but that's my 2¢

Sent using BrownCafe App

ups1990

No doubt. Its troublesome to me in which the whole ordeal played out. In the article, UPS stated that drivers knew they would be terminated if they walked out. Now is this true? How many of the 250 knew? All? Some?
We all know that cheating or falsifying records could get us in really hot water or terminated and so we don't finagle with NDA deliveries and
the such.
I can see a scenario wherein the company along with the union and so called community leaders come together and work out a resolution and hire some or all back even after this press release by UPS. We can only imagine the stress level they would have to endure if they do come back.

ups1990

Forgot to mention. Here's where the company will put all its chips in on ORION. A historical point in UPS/teamsters relationships and how ORION is used to facilitate the training a bunch of new drivers all seemingly at once.

WOW THIS IS SAD!!! YOU HAVE TO FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS,NOONE HAS THE RIGHT TO TREAT YOU ANY WAY THEY WANT. THE UNION WAS WARNED BEFORED ABOUT DOING THIS. When you have a union full of snakes always doing underhanded things and feel they are untouchable,this is the outcome. This is messed up for the drivers and their families. RON CAREY HOWARD REDMEN WOULDVE LET THIS HAPPEN, THE KNEW THE LAWS THESE CLOWNS DONT.

Johney

No doubt. Its troublesome to me in which the whole ordeal played out. In the article, UPS stated that drivers knew they would be terminated if they walked out. Now is this true? How many of the 250 knew? All? Some?
We all know that cheating or falsifying records could get us in really hot water or terminated and so we don't finagle with NDA deliveries and
the such.
I can see a scenario wherein the company along with the union and so called community leaders come together and work out a resolution and hire some or all back even after this press release by UPS. We can only imagine the stress level they would have to endure if they do come back.
Did you watch the video? I heard LIAM say at least three times in the 3 minutes or so of it that they all may get fired.

oldngray

nowhere special
I wonder about how much explaining Liam did to the drivers before the walk out. Its one thing to say they might get fired after they have already walked out but another to warn them beforehand.

Nolimitz

and the remaining 230 notified that they’ll be canned as soon as replacements are trained, a company spokesman said.

Really? If I were one of them, I'd not be waiting on a replacement. All 230 should not show up the next day

oldngray

nowhere special
The first 20 were "randomly" chosen. What are the odds of them truly being random or the people UPS most wanted to get rid of?

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
and the remaining 230 notified that they’ll be canned as soon as replacements are trained, a company spokesman said.

Really? If I were one of them, I'd not be waiting on a replacement. All 230 should not show up the next day
Pretty difficult to make any money if you're not clocking in. My move would be to spend the time until my termination getting paid while I look for a new job. If they didn't like their UPS job they're really not gonna like whatever other blue-collar work is available.

If that did happen, and all 230 didn't show, that wouldn't change anything. It's not like that's going to convince UPS to bring them back, they've just expedited their termination and now they have no job and no paycheck. That puts UPS in a tough spot for a couple weeks. Maybe they transfer some new drivers in from other centers. But it's not as if the company will fall apart over a few service failures. The company will take its lumps and move on if that happens. But again, it won't.

Last edited:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I wonder about how much explaining Liam did to the drivers before the walk out. Its one thing to say they might get fired after they have already walked out but another to warn them beforehand.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but every Maspeth driver involved who is walked out the door still has the right to go to panel to try and get their job back...correct?

oldngray

nowhere special
Correct me if I'm wrong, but every Maspeth driver involved who is walked out the door still has the right to go to panel to try and get their job back...correct?

I would think so but the firings should also have been done on an individual basis instead of en masse. The drivers who clocked in then walked out should be in a more precarious situation in my opinion than those who never went in but UPS is treating them all the same. UPS is trying very hard to make a point here and those drivers are the sacrificial lambs. UPS has expensive lawyers and won't mind dragging everything out as long as possible.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
One would think union leadership would have threaten a strike. Where's the International?

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
the such.
If everything is bold, nothing is bold.