EXCLUSIVE: UPS Workers Caught On Video Handling Holiday Packages Without Care

upschuck

Unless the brown building is part of the same picture, I don't believe this is how the driver delivered those packages. He would have had to get a signature after sheeting those packages and walk around to the front of the store and enter that way. I believe this is after it was signed for and store employees were throwing empty boxes away. Next picture has the said employee bursting through those boxes arms raised in victory.
oops, meant to have said store.

cino321

Stop defending these guys. Why are they moving work around in parking lots for crying out loud? This sort of thing should not be taking place on the road. UPS is lucky that a reporter caught these guys, and not

This is a result of UPS running their operation maxed out beyond capacity on a skeleton staff during normal volume levels that once peak comes, and this year peak is heavier than usual, they cannot handle it. Look at all the service failures. Sure weather has something to do it, but these guys are rolling over 100k pieces a night in some parts of the country. It's one thing to be a little behind, but this is ridiculous.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dave. There probably wasn't room IN the store. If the customer says pile them up outside then it's all the easier for you.

There is a interior hallway that leads between the door and the store. The store has a couple of employees who take the packages down the hallway in to the store. I think the driver should have made sure that all of the packages were inside that door before leaving.

There is a interior hallway that leads between the door and the store. The store has a couple of employees who take the packages down the hallway in to the store. I think the driver should have made sure that all of the packages were inside that door before leaving.

Once whatever criteria is met to get a signature I don't care if they set the pile on fire. Delivery complete.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Was the delivery in your pic to the back door of a strip club? Ok, then yes a greater level of service is needed to make sure all the employees are satisfied.

If not the above, delivery complete.

Z

ZQXC

You could request this stop be added to your dispatch thereby ensuring a perfect delivery every time.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
Every time I see one of these stories or see a video I can't help but think; why isn't managements role being talk about? UPS has time standards assigned for every task and for every corporeal movement of its employees. If they send someone out to meet another driver and they are given 5 minutes to do a 30 minute job how do you expect your workers to react? When they allotted 90 second to deliver a driver release and it takes you 3 minutes to rummage through the load looking for it, stop after stop, what do you expect? Humans have frustration and stress levels that can lead anyone to snap at some degree.

Ouch

Sounds like to me he is a sup that got sent out to investigate a del complaint. He investigated it. If its not on his route how does he know about the interior hallway and room to stack. Here when I ran a mall route everything had to be in the stockroom. Fire marshal rules. The closest I got to the stockroom was sliding a box thru the door to the stock person. My delivery point was the door according to my sups.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Every time I see one of these stories or see a video I can't help but think; why isn't managements role being talk about? UPS has time standards assigned for every task and for every corporeal movement of its employees. If they send someone out to meet another driver and they are given 5 minutes to do a 30 minute job how do you expect your workers to react? When they allotted 90 second to deliver a driver release and it takes you 3 minutes to rummage through the load looking for it, stop after stop, what do you expect? Humans have frustration and stress levels that can lead anyone to snap at some degree.
Exactly! I think management achieved THEIR" goal!!!
What hourly hasn't had management try to rattle their cage? They want to keep you just pissed off enough, thinking your more productive.
What driver hasn't been told on an ojs, "oh just do what you normally do, this isn't a shrink test".(Translation, this IS shrink test).
I don't think there's anyone here that can honestly say a manager would give 2 :censored2:z about that delivery.
Stop complete, off to the next stop, Ad infinitum!

Sounds like to me he is a sup that got sent out to investigate a del complaint. He investigated it. If its not on his route how does he know about the interior hallway and room to stack. Here when I ran a mall route everything had to be in the stockroom. Fire marshal rules. The closest I got to the stockroom was sliding a box thru the door to the stock person. My delivery point was the door according to my sups.

The fire Marshall rules only apply to the store. Once they sign it's their job to comply. Many did. Some didn't. None were my problem.

nostrebor

Check out the Fedex/USPS/UPS Related Videos on Huffington Post (sorry, I cannot post a link - this id is too new and I cannot remember my old id in this forum), you can search whichever company name here + Workers Caught On Video Handling Holiday Packages Without Care and then scroll to Related Videos. News people or wannabe-news people seem to get things on video especially this time of year. If just a smidgen of those people worked as driver's helpers - they might shut up.

Marne Vet

Stop defending these guys. Why are they moving work around in parking lots for crying out loud? This sort of thing should not be taking place on the road. UPS is lucky that a reporter caught these guys, and not

This is a result of UPS running their operation maxed out beyond capacity on a skeleton staff during normal volume levels that once peak comes, and this year peak is heavier than usual, they cannot handle it. Look at all the service failures. Sure weather has something to do it, but these guys are rolling over 100k pieces a night in some parts of the country. It's one thing to be a little behind, but this is ridiculous.

Happens [here] daily. Tons of stuff is left on the belt, or on the irreg pallets. Sups or seasonal drivers will load it up on rentals, or whatever package car is available, and then shuttle it out to the driver(s). Another scenario is that you'll get new drivers that are blown-out, can't get it done, so they'll send drivers to help them. They'll meet anywhere they can get a few package cars together to unload/load stops. Parking lots are usually the best spots. Easier to back-up to another driver etc. I don't think anyone here was defending how they were moving the packages. There is no reason to toss them onto the ground like that. That driver is an idiot. However, a pile like that in any parking lot isn't hurting the packages, and we see that stuff all the time. Even on a wet ground. I didn't see a huge "puddle" like the News lady was trying to imply. I saw a wet ground. Big deal. Packages get soaked when it's raining and we can't even put a service cross on them. One side getting damp isn't gonna ruin a package. Lets just make that very clear to people right now. Cardboard is pretty resilient. Getting wet won't automatically destroy what's inside, which is also probably in plastic. The driver throwing the packages from the rental was the dumbest part of the video. We've had PCM's on being aware of people with video cameras. Remember the driver that was parked in a handicap spot and smiled for the lady on camera? That was all over the News, and we had a PCM on it. Sometimes we can't help but pull into a handicap spot. Soon as someone taps their horn we move, but handicap people are no more special than anyone else on the road. If I have to block a oneway street to make a stop, then everyone behind me able bodied or not is gonna wait. That's the job. Trash trucks block the street every day, but no one makes nearly the same stink as they do when a UPS truck stops for 10 seconds. /End Rant

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know about this stop as I have delivered it before. It varies from as few as 120 to as many as 250 packages. You back up as close to the door as you can, scan and place the packages inside the door. The employees have a handcart similar to our mall handcart (4 wheel dolly) and then load as many as they can and bring them in to the store. We repeat this until they are all delivered inside the door and signed for. No way would I ever leave until they are all inside the door.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He's stealing time. Just as he does when he posts from his phone during working hours.

I just happened to see the pile as I was driving around the back side of the mall to make the drop box pickup.

The only time that I post while on the clock is if I am sitting waiting for a drop box pickup.

I know about this stop as I have delivered it before. It varies from as few as 120 to as many as 250 packages. You back up as close to the door as you can, scan and place the packages inside the door. The employees have a handcart similar to our mall handcart (4 wheel dolly) and then load as many as they can and bring them in to the store. We repeat this until they are all delivered inside the door and signed for. No way would I ever leave until they are all inside the door.

upload_2013-12-22_11-49-8.jpeg