Exhaust fumes in Sprinter

Hey gang. Long time reader, first time poster.

Been driving a Sprinter for a couple years and last December I started noticing exhaust fumes entering the cab, usually through the A.C. It happens once every week or so, usually later in the day. I've written it up each time with the typical mechanic's response being "cannot duplicate problem". Management seems concerned but has not aided in any solution . Several other employees I've talked to experience the same thing, including drivers using the Reach.

Anybody having similar experiences?

MynameisNeigan

I carry a carbon monoxide sensor with me at all times. We just never know if it’s that or just grease or burned oil smell coming in. Btw how did u get AC?

Oldfart

Never driven a Sprinter but my reach truck has some smelly exhaust leaking in when the "regen" light is on.

SmithBarney

If you notice it, put the A/C recirc button on, it resets each time you restart your truck, and also shuts off after a certain amount of time.
if your mechanic has a Mercedes computer, he can program it to stay in recirc mode(if he knows what he's doing)

We've had several with similar issues, just keep writing it up.. maybe a call or two while on the road telling your manager that you need to stop due to
feeling ill from the fumes in the truck... It'll get fixed, one issue was an exhaust flange/donut/gasket thingy was worn out... important that the mechanic also check the up/down tubes for the turbo, because they can leak too.

DeliveryException

I haven't had that problem in my Sprinter but loop mate has the stink from Reach in regen mode. She complains and writes it up all the time but nothing changes.

McFeely

Huge Member
Do you guys/gals with the Reaches let them continue to run while they're doing a REGEN? I've heard conflicting things about it from management, mechanics, etc. I don't leave mine running and it eventually completes the REGEN with no issues.

Purplepackage

Do you guys/gals with the Reaches let them continue to run while they're doing a REGEN? I've heard conflicting things about it from management, mechanics, etc. I don't leave mine running and it eventually completes the REGEN with no issues.

A lot of the time they will start to regen when I’m on a 40 minute stem to an area so I have no choice but to let it run

Star B

White Lightening
I always let mine run. That way it just finishes it quicker and gets it out of the system and you get "full" (hah) power from the reach back.

A lot of the time they will start to regen when I’m on a 40 minute stem to an area so I have no choice but to let it run
That shouldn't be bad then, you get the airflow wisking away the piss smell.

I haven't had that problem in my Sprinter but loop mate has the stink from Reach in regen mode. She complains and writes it up all the time but nothing changes.
There isn't anything they can do about that. They have to regen and it stinks. If she can do it, just let it run while your making deliveries to get it out of its system.

The new GMC diesel vans though, they smell like burning plastic when regenning and they don't let you know. If you guess wrong and turn it off while it's regenning, BAM, check engine light until the next regen cycle. The sad part is that the mechanics can't read codes in those until they accumulate 4 of them, from what I've been told.

outtatime

If you notice it, put the A/C recirc button on, it resets each time you restart your truck, and also shuts off after a certain amount of time.
if your mechanic has a Mercedes computer, he can program it to stay in recirc mode(if he knows what he's doing)

We've had several with similar issues, just keep writing it up.. maybe a call or two while on the road telling your manager that you need to stop due to
feeling ill from the fumes in the truck... It'll get fixed, one issue was an exhaust flange/donut/gasket thingy was worn out... important that the mechanic also check the up/down tubes for the turbo, because they can leak too.
So if he smells exhaust fumes your suggestion is to put the system on re-circulation mode to keep all the fumes in the cab instead of bringing in fresh air? How about keeping it in fresh air mode and opening a window? Genius advice.

I do use the recirc button sometimes and it helps some, but does not completely eliminate the fumes. I would rather the leak be found (if that's what it is, and I suspect it is) than to go on permanent recirc. A non-Fedex mechanic I use for my personal vehicles looked up my Sprinter on his IDENTIFIX software and found similar issues reported. The closest symptoms were "exhaust smell and fumes in cabin." Tests showed that the "most common leak point is the flex pipe connected to the Diesel Particulate Filter". The report came with a confirmed "fix": "Replace Exhaust Flex Pipe". All this was shown to our station mechanic. His response was (paraphrasing) "the Flex pipe either works or doesn't work. There's no in between." Therefore, no need to fix, according to him. He also said that it could be a regen occurence happening, though there's no dash indicator for that on the Sprinters. And I doubt it's a regen issue as this Sprinter was clean and without fumes for two years until last December, when the problem began. I hope to communicate with our mechanic's superior, who has visited our station recently, and get some kind of action. Our Senior Manager's response after telling her all of this was "wear a mask". I will continue to write it up daily. And I'm documenting all of this so my wife can sue Fedex if I expire due to lung cancer from inhaling carbon monoxide fumes.

Last edited:

dezguy

Ummm... I would be pulling over, getting out of the vehicle and calling my manager. No way I'm continuing with my day with exhaust pouring into my cab.

dezguy

I do use the recirc button sometimes and it helps some, but does not completely eliminate the fumes. I would rather the leak be found (if that's what it is, and I suspect it is) than to go on permanent recirc. A non-Fedex mechanic I use for my personal vehicles looked up my Sprinter on his IDENTIFIX software and found similar issues reported. The closest symptoms were "exhaust smell and fumes in cabin." Tests showed that the "most common leak point is the flex pipe connected to the Diesel Particulate Filter". The report came with a confirmed "fix": "Replace Exhaust Flex Pipe". All this was shown to our station mechanic. His response was (paraphrasing) "the Flex pipe either works or doesn't work. There's no in between." Therefore, no need to fix, according to him. He also said that it could be a regen occurence happening, though there's no dash indicator for that on the Sprinters. And I doubt it's a regen issue as this Sprinter was clean and without fumes for two years until last December, when the problem began. I hope to communicate with our mechanic's superior, who has visited our station recently, and get some kind of action. Our Senior Manager's response after telling her all of this was "wear a mask". I will continue to write it up daily. And I'm documenting all of this so my wife can sue Fedex if I expire due to lung cancer from inhaling carbon monoxide fumes.
You have to be kidding me! I would be going above her to her manager and if they still say to wear a mask, demand a industrial strength mask on their dime.

I don't know where you work but where I am, we have the right to refuse work if you feel it could cause you harm. It then becomes the company's responsibility to fix the problem. Having exhaust in the cab definitely would be a concern.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Refuse to drive ANY vehicle that has a safety issue. Request your SM to ride along and experience the problem. Contact HR if they refuse to correct the problem.

dmac1

So if he smells exhaust fumes your suggestion is to put the system on re-circulation mode to keep all the fumes in the cab instead of bringing in fresh air? How about keeping it in fresh air mode and opening a window? Genius advice.

Better to put it in recirculation and open the window. Fresh mode pulls air in from vents located near the engine compartment. Recirculation mode also takes cool air already in cabin and cools it further instead of taking 'fresh' hot air from near the engine compartment. If fumes are already in the vehicle, run on recirculation with ALL windows open until fumes clear, and then you should be okay with a window cracked open and AC on full/recirculate. Technically, if you are getting exhaust fumes in the cabin, you have an issue with the exhaust or pcv system.

SmithBarney

I was offering it as a temporary relief, since as noted the fresh air is drawn from a hood vent, and if it's not sealed you'll get fumes. The rest of my advice is to keep writing it up... you can try to refuse to drive it, that's up to you

Thanks for all the posts. Update: There's now a serious air intake problem that made them pull the truck for repair. Our mechanic is hoping that the exhaust problem will be resolved at the same time.

bacha29

Thanks for all the posts. Update: There's now a serious air intake problem that made them pull the truck for repair. Our mechanic is hoping that the exhaust problem will be resolved at the same time.
Does anybody have aside from fuel economy have anything good to say about Sprinters? Fumes, rust, brake seals, body parts etc. It seems that the fuel economy is offset by the other troubles and the cost to resolve them.