Explain fine sort to Fedex man

BrownMeetPurple

We have numbered shelves and floor from 1-11. How does UPS do it? What is 1000,2000,3000.., etc? Also, how do you sort your envelopes. Yes I am bored and curious as how a fully loaded UPS truck is delivered efficiently.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Most of the time, our loaders throw it in a giant heap and it's our responsibility to make heads or tails of it.

Upstate will be along shortly to present a dissertation on the subject.

HardknocksUPSer

We have numbered shelves and floor from 1-11. How does UPS do it? What is 1000,2000,3000.., etc? Also, how do you sort your envelopes. Yes I am bored and curious as how a fully loaded UPS truck is delivered efficiently.
Like anyone's ever goina tell??... I have a friend who couldn't pass a drug test at UPS so he quit and went to fedex and has told me y'all are way behind in safety and technology.

UPSGUY72

There are 15 different loading locations in the UPS package car they consist of location 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000, 7000, 8000, Floor 1, Floor 2, Floor 3, Floor 4, Rear door right, Rear door left, and Rear Door Center.

Anything that doesn't fit in it's specific location usually ends up in the middle isle.

UPSGUY72

Almost forgot I've seen the back of a Fed package car you can fine sort. The back of a UPS package car is usually stuffed full most days so there is little to no fine sorting. It's called get the package in the right location.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yep. But we're not allowed to use floor one or floor two because it used to make it easier on the drivers.
Yes they've moved a lot of floor stops to the shelves. If your loader has half a brain...ask him/her to move the stop to Floor 1 or Floor 2. I do it everyday for one of my drivers. He always knows where his shopping center and airport stops are....and I have much more room on my 2000/6000 shelf. Win win situation.

542thruNthru

4 long shelves in the truck. Imagine they have a divider in the middle of each one breaking them into 8 shelves.
Top shelf on passage side is 1000 shelf. On the same shelf behind the 1000 is the 5000 shelf. Below is the 2000 and 6000. You should be able to figure out the rest from there.

Everything is thrown on the shelves envelopes and all. You sort as you go.

Hope that answers your question. :)

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Yes they've moved a lot of floor stops to the shelves. If your loader has half a brain...ask him/her to move the stop to Floor 1 or Floor 2. I do it everyday for one of my drivers. He always knows where his shopping center and airport stops are....and I have much more room on my 2000/6000 shelf. Win win situation.
5a3718121474a42c9667e8f25ca13abab26abf61e15c638b3dcc24f17c0e0302.jpg
COMPLIMENT:peaceful:

13zipcodes

Brownmeetpurple, do you work for express? At ground our shelves are basically the same as ups, except the floor area is called 1000FL, 2000FL, etc. and there is no rear door location that I know of.

MechLift

We used to have these convoluted loading charts engineers would come up with but as a swing I would always just line one side of the truck with priority freight in stop order and do the same for the P2 on the other side. Heavy stuff went to the floor and hopefully got remembered when the stop came up.