Express Job Waivers

oftpilot

Any current or former express managers on here? Trying to find out if there is certain criteria that needs to be met to post a job with a waiver or if its up to manager discretion.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Any current or former express managers on here? Trying to find out if there is certain criteria that needs to be met to post a job with a waiver or if its up to manager discretion.
I’m not a manager but I’m pretty sure they can post with a waiver if they posted it previously and no one applied. Most likely SM or HR who decides, not ops Mgr.

falcon back

Ok great information, thanks. I’ll try to find something on the intranet tonight.
You would be better off asking a manager or HR. They would have the correct answer. Most on here don't have a clue and operational is definitely the last person to ask for informative answers.

oftpilot

You would be better off asking a manager or HR. They would have the correct answer. Most on here don't have a clue and operational is definitely the last person to ask for informative answers.
Yea I agree that it needs to come from a manger that's why I was specifically looking for input from one if they were on here. I'm extremely new so don't want to ask my manager directly yet.

Maui

The job has to be posted internally once and then it can be posted with a time-in position/location waiver. If the same type of position (FT courier/PT courier/handler/RTD/Manager) has been previously posted in the last 90 days, then the position can be posted externally without re-posting with a waiver. That decision is generally up to the senior manager.

In other words all types of positions MUST be posted internally once and then be posted with a waiver. The idea is to allow existing employees an opportunity to move into a position they prefer. A position can continue to be re-posted with a waiver also, but it MAY be posted externally. Again, the idea is that if like positions have been made available to existing employees and no one has applied or taken the position, then re-posting with a waiver just delays adding staff. So if positions were ignored or rejected within the previous 90 days the hiring manager can begin posting externally.

Please note that route bids are NOT posted with a waiver. You're already in position at a given location. For me I think it's best to take care of employees already in the building. So I would post a route bid and if no one there is interested, then I would go to Workday to open it up. Preference given to at location employees wanting to change their status (PT/FT/route). Personally I think some people like being PT, but overall FT is more desirable. Same with some wanting a PM shift, but AM being more desirable overall. So I would allow someone already working at the building first crack. With limited exceptions I strongly prefer allowing the people that are already in the building to move to more desirable jobs before adding external hires.

Trying to keep a good relationship should allow managers to know if there is anyone there looking to move into another job/route and work with them. At the same time I think it is critical to add staff when necessary so I would not delay posting externally if no one was interested in what is available.

oftpilot

The job has to be posted internally once and then it can be posted with a time-in position/location waiver. If the same type of position (FT courier/PT courier/handler/RTD/Manager) has been previously posted in the last 90 days, then the position can be posted externally without re-posting with a waiver. That decision is generally up to the senior manager.

In other words all types of positions MUST be posted internally once and then be posted with a waiver. The idea is to allow existing employees an opportunity to move into a position they prefer. A position can continue to be re-posted with a waiver also, but it MAY be posted externally. Again, the idea is that if like positions have been made available to existing employees and no one has applied or taken the position, then re-posting with a waiver just delays adding staff. So if positions were ignored or rejected within the previous 90 days the hiring manager can begin posting externally.

Please note that route bids are NOT posted with a waiver. You're already in position at a given location. For me I think it's best to take care of employees already in the building. So I would post a route bid and if no one there is interested, then I would go to Workday to open it up. Preference given to at location employees wanting to change their status (PT/FT/route). Personally I think some people like being PT, but overall FT is more desirable. Same with some wanting a PM shift, but AM being more desirable overall. So I would allow someone already working at the building first crack. With limited exceptions I strongly prefer allowing the people that are already in the building to move to more desirable jobs before adding external hires.

Trying to keep a good relationship should allow managers to know if there is anyone there looking to move into another job/route and work with them. At the same time I think it is critical to add staff when necessary so I would not delay posting externally if no one was interested in what is available.
Excellent insight much appreciated. Check your PMs.

falcon back

Yea I agree that it needs to come from a manger that's why I was specifically looking for input from one if they were on here. I'm extremely new so don't want to ask my manager directly yet.
There might be one on or two on here but a majority of people are just bitter angry hourly employees that spew misery to each and every person that will listen. Any policy answer should come from a manager or HR person because their answer is th only one that counts. The bad thing is, many managers aren't informed enough to make the correct answer or might make a decision that best suites their needs, not the prospective hire. There are a slew of idiot managers.

!Retired!

A waiver can be many things. Usually, the waiver is the managers discretion. Though, some (maybe all?) need their bosses permission.

I applied, but didn't get, a position along with 4 other candidates. The following week that position was posted with a waiver. The waiver was that no candidate that applied in the last 6 months can reapply.

No, I'm not a manager.

Stat41

There might be one on or two on here but a majority of people are just bitter angry hourly employees that spew misery to each and every person that will listen. Any policy answer should come from a manager or HR person because their answer is th only one that counts. The bad thing is, many managers aren't informed enough to make the correct answer or might make a decision that best suites their needs, not the prospective hire. There are a slew of idiot managers.
Its tough for some of us to be satisfied and happy employees when we are surrounded by that slew of idiot managers that even you have acknowledged. Our company does not listen to our concerns. And because of that it is good that we can all have a place to put a voice to our frustrations and communicate our shared experiences. As much as possible, I would encourage you to try not to judge people so much and share your input about the issues. Once again, I think you're a sharp guy and frequently have some really good points, but then you go and ruin it with personal attacks.

falcon back

Its tough for some of us to be satisfied and happy employees when we are surrounded by that slew of idiot managers that even you have acknowledged. Our company does not listen to our concerns. And because of that it is good that we can all have a place to put a voice to our frustrations and communicate our shared experiences. As much as possible, I would encourage you to try not to judge people so much and share your input about the issues. Once again, I think you're a sharp guy and frequently have some really good points, but then you go and ruin it with personal attacks.
Personal attacks are thrown my way daily and I don't see you lecturing them. Nobody on this site has anything nice to say about anything. People should not be miserable from the moment the alarm goes off till they go to bed, but that describes most everyone on here. Find one person on here that has anything good to say about anything, good luck. I get bashed because I enjoyed my years with the company, good and bad and didn't let my job make me miserable. Unfortunately for many on here, they haven't been able to do that.

Stat41

Personal attacks are thrown my way daily and I don't see you lecturing them. Nobody on this site has anything nice to say about anything. People should not be miserable from the moment the alarm goes off till they go to bed, but that describes most everyone on here. Find one person on here that has anything good to say about anything, good luck. I get bashed because I enjoyed my years with the company, good and bad and didn't let my job make me miserable. Unfortunately for many on here, they haven't been able to do that.
In my observation, the personal attacks on you were just a response to the negative things you have said about them or others. Personal attacks arent ever warranted in my opinion though. I was just trying to turn your conversation into something more understanding and constructive. It seems I have been unsuccessful in changing your views and I really regret that. In the future I will leave you and your opinions alone. Its a shame though, I think in real life we would get along just fine.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
In my observation, the personal attacks on you were just a response to the negative things you have said about them or others. Personal attacks arent ever warranted in my opinion though. I was just trying to turn your conversation into something more understanding and constructive. It seems I have been unsuccessful in changing your views and I really regret that. In the future I will leave you and your opinions alone. Its a shame though, I think in real life we would get along just fine.
We tried to tell ya.

Stat41

Have at it. Maybe it will bring a few minutes of joy to your life. I relax in retirement and you wake up everyday and go to a job you hate.
Internet Troll
A person who posts remarks or comments onto internet forums or message boards in an attempt to get someone to comment negatively to it and to redirect attention onto himself. Usually, these remarks are controversial, stupid, off-topic, inflaming, illogical, or childish. Sometimes, the comments are enough to enrage the people in the forum to want to respond back with their own negative remarks which starts a flame war and changes the topic and attention of the discussion. Since, internet trolls are attention whores, this is exactly what they want since they probably don't get enough attention in real life and needs someone else to acknowledge their self-worth and existence.