Express Pay Increase?

Will Express Get a Pay Hike in 2021?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

falcon back

People worrying about something that nobody knows the answer to. Get ready for all the miserable people and some that don't even work there anymore spreading more misery.

McFeely

Huge Member
I wouldn't even wager a guess. Last year's fiscal was one of the company's best and they only did 2%.

At a minimum this year I would hope for a step increase. If they truly wanted to keep people from leaving in droves this October, a step + a COLA would help quite a bit. Unemployment is still on the high side, but the company cannot hire/keep people around with what they're currently offering.

Maui

I wouldn't even wager a guess. Last year's fiscal was one of the company's best and they only did 2%.

At a minimum this year I would hope for a step increase. If they truly wanted to keep people from leaving in droves this October, a step + a COLA would help quite a bit. Unemployment is still on the high side, but the company cannot hire/keep people around with what they're currently offering.
Last year actually wasn’t very strong. One of the worst Q4 ever. This year has been gangbusters though and I expect at least the step and COLA.

That said I want more than 1 step and COLA. I want a minimum of $2/hr, but truly want more. Employees have earned that. I don’t expect a raise before October, but there have been targeted pay actions and some locations are hemorrhaging staff. Sooner is better. Not just for morale and retention, but because it’s the right thing to do.

I don’t expect anything to really help this, but a new hire tomorrow makes the same as a 3-year employee. That’s not sustainable.

Aquaman

It’s too late... a step increase is 2 years too late. Not giving us one last year during COVID was a huge slap in the face. They realized that, and gave us a $1,000 bonus. That’s what they’ve got now... a bitter, sensitive workgroup that appreciates nothing because they’ve screwed us too many times. People are already making plans to leave.. it’s too late.

Star B

White Lightening
It’s too late... a step increase is 2 years too late. Not giving us one last year during COVID was a huge slap in the face. They realized that, and gave us a $1,000 bonus. That’s what they’ve got now... a bitter, sensitive workgroup that appreciates nothing because they’ve screwed us too many times. People are already making plans to leave.. it’s too late.
The only time it's too late is when the doors are closing or when the employee leaves. They ALWAYS have time to make amends.

I won't disagree with you that most of their actions are reactionary in nature -- not progressive and "top tier" like they want us to believe.

Aquaman

The only time it's too late is when the doors are closing or when the employee leaves. They ALWAYS have time to make amends.

I won't disagree with you that most of their actions are reactionary in nature -- not progressive and "top tier" like they want us to believe.
Well employees are leaving. They should have been constantly improving pay. The gap is probably too large now to afford it. In the class A world they are $5 - $7 behind competitive pay. They can’t afford that increase for the mid range guys. And without RTD’s couriers don’t have freight. Every company is going to have to increase pay to lure people back from COVID unemployment. But FedEx historically does not like increasing pay. Whatever happen in the next couple years, it’s gonna be interesting.

falcon back

Well employees are leaving. They should have been constantly improving pay. The gap is probably too large now to afford it. In the class A world they are $5 - $7 behind competitive pay. They can’t afford that increase for the mid range guys. And without RTD’s couriers don’t have freight. Every company is going to have to increase pay to lure people back from COVID unemployment. But FedEx historically does not like increasing pay. Whatever happen in the next couple years, it’s gonna be interesting.
Maybe the non topped out people are $5-7 behind a competitive rate but topped out people aren't doing too bad. A topped out RTD will never make more than UPS and you give them $7 now, that's $40 for some, little less for others and I don't believe UPS is quite there. They will be soon though. There is no way a FDX will pay swings, dispatcher and RTD 37 to 40 an hr. They would be way better served working on starting pay and going thru the process of topping people out quicker.

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
Maybe the non topped out people are $5-7 behind a competitive rate but topped out people aren't doing too bad. A topped out RTD will never make more than UPS and you give them $7 now, that's $40 for some, little less for others and I don't believe UPS is quite there. They will be soon though. There is no way a FDX will pay swings, dispatcher and RTD 37 to 40 an hr. They would be way better served working on starting pay and going thru the process of topping people out quicker.
UPS is there now, just shy of $40 this year and above it next year.

falcon back

UPS is there now, just shy of $40 this year and above it next year.
I knew it was close to that time. My point is, FDX will not be that close to UPS salaries. A FDX RTD is as easy of job as there's is, I know a Feeder job is just as easy. FDX can keep RTD drivers with a smaller raise and spend their resources to work on the lesser paid employees first.

Aquaman

I knew it was close to that time. My point is, FDX will not be that close to UPS salaries. A FDX RTD is as easy of job as there's is, I know a Feeder job is just as easy. FDX can keep RTD drivers with a smaller raise and spend their resources to work on the lesser paid employees first.
I agree that top out is decently competitive for the work done. But I was referring to the majority of RTD’s making in the lows 20’s per hour. Most of us are not topped out. FedEx can absolutely NOT keep RTD’s with smaller raises. Unlike couriers an RTD has a specific license that gives them abundant options. They’re not stuck at the company like a 20 year courier is. Delivering envelopes out of a sprinter is not a transferable skill. Driving a tractor trailer is. The company however does not treat it that way. Putting us on the same payscale as ramp agents/dispatchers/courier swings was their first mistake. Again, a ramp agent/dispatcher/courier swing is a FedEx specific job. They don’t open multiple doors to do that job at other companies. A class A CDL is an instant $60K/yr job anywhere. Except at FedEx where the average is probably around $45K/yr... Not addressing the RTD problem is a mistake and they need to do something. My station has 8 FT RTD’s posted that they can’t fill. Because no sane person with a CDL is going to start at a company for $19/hr working first/second/third shifts with a changing schedule week to week. Maybe if we were the highest paid hourly job in the company, we could bait couriers to take the job... but they already basically make what we make so what’s the point. More hoops and hurdles with DOT for essentially the same pay. I can tell you my station has about 55 RTD’s... maybe 13 of them are topped out... and we can’t hold on to a single driver with less than 10 years seniority.

falcon back

I agree that top out is decently competitive for the work done. But I was referring to the majority of RTD’s making in the lows 20’s per hour. Most of us are not topped out. FedEx can absolutely NOT keep RTD’s with smaller raises. Unlike couriers an RTD has a specific license that gives them abundant options. They’re not stuck at the company like a 20 year courier is. Delivering envelopes out of a sprinter is not a transferable skill. Driving a tractor trailer is. The company however does not treat it that way. Putting us on the same payscale as ramp agents/dispatchers/courier swings was their first mistake. Again, a ramp agent/dispatcher/courier swing is a FedEx specific job. They don’t open multiple doors to do that job at other companies. A class A CDL is an instant $60K/yr job anywhere. Except at FedEx where the average is probably around $45K/yr... Not addressing the RTD problem is a mistake and they need to do something. My station has 8 FT RTD’s posted that they can’t fill. Because no sane person with a CDL is going to start at a company for $19/hr working first/second/third shifts with a changing schedule week to week. Maybe if we were the highest paid hourly job in the company, we could bait couriers to take the job... but they already basically make what we make so what’s the point. More hoops and hurdles with DOT for essentially the same pay. I can tell you my station has about 55 RTD’s... maybe 13 of them are topped out... and we can’t hold on to a single driver with less than 10 years seniority.
I feel being lumped in with swings and dispatchers is fair. No idea what a ramp agent makes. Some stations require swings to have a CDL, even though DOT doesn't require it, so they have the same license, just maybe a B instead of an A. As far as other companies paying more, many RTD type jobs making more than $20 starting out require road work. When I became a RTD in the mid 80's, the difference in pay was about .50. When they finally raised it to several $ an hr, it made a big difference. The company definitely needs to work on starting and non topped out salaries.

Aquaman

I feel being lumped in with swings and dispatchers is fair. No idea what a ramp agent makes. Some stations require swings to have a CDL, even though DOT doesn't require it, so they have the same license, just maybe a B instead of an A. As far as other companies paying more, many RTD type jobs making more than $20 starting out require road work. When I became a RTD in the mid 80's, the difference in pay was about .50. When they finally raised it to several $ an hr, it made a big difference. The company definitely needs to work on starting and non topped out salaries.
A class B is in no way the same license as a class A... not even in the same ball park. And the difference in pay from a courier to an RTD is a dollar, not several dollars. Courier swings and dispatchers do not work 3rd shift. That’s a big deal. Ramp agents do have to work 3rd shift. But their systems they use for balancing do the job for them. And like I said those jobs are FedEx specific. They shouldn’t be on the same scale as a RTD with a class A. RTD’s are much much harder to keep.

Artee

Its taken us 8 months to fill 9 RTD positions. Only 2 have gotten their license, 1 has failed his drivers test 3 times, 3 are in training and the other 3 will not be here for another month. The applicants either are 1 year employees straight from the ramp or a couple year employee from being a station courier. It used to be a position for more senior employees, but once you get 10+ years under your belt as a courier, there is no way 99% are going to go drive truck working all night and weekends. I am tired of working the OT, but I am not alone in having to pull extra hours. It takes many months to train a new driver to obtain a license and multiple postings to get one hired.

New driver at our place will just just about at $19 and top out at $33. It will take you 20+ years to get to top out. If I was not topped out and was a new driver, I would stick around a bit for the experience and then start looking for other opportunities. After a couple $.45 cent raises guys/gals catch on pretty quick that top out is a pipedream.

falcon back

A class B is in no way the same license as a class A... not even in the same ball park. And the difference in pay from a courier to an RTD is a dollar, not several dollars. Courier swings and dispatchers do not work 3rd shift. That’s a big deal. Ramp agents do have to work 3rd shift. But their systems they use for balancing do the job for them. And like I said those jobs are FedEx specific. They shouldn’t be on the same scale as a RTD with a class A. RTD’s are much much harder to keep.
Not sure where you got your figures but you are incorrect. A topped out RTD is about $2.50 or so more than a topped out courier. Maybe a little more or less but way more than a dollar. Once you get a CDL, there is no difference in the A and B. Getting the A is a little harder due the pretrip. The DOT physical and the Haz recurrency test is the same. Swings, couriers and dispatchers in certain stations are on duty past midnight and later so once again, your assumptions are mostly incorrect. You must be a newhire or fairly new because your knowledge of salaries and job responsibilities and hrs is spotty at best. Having a Class A is bit more difficult but you act like you are on par with an aircraft mechanic and that isn't correct. You want to be the highest paid hourly in the company? You are dreaming. I would bet I was driving a cabover Ford pulling Federal Express trailers before you were hired, so I speak from experience.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Its taken us 8 months to fill 9 RTD positions. Only 2 have gotten their license, 1 has failed his drivers test 3 times, 3 are in training and the other 3 will not be here for another month. The applicants either are 1 year employees straight from the ramp or a couple year employee from being a station courier. It used to be a position for more senior employees, but once you get 10+ years under your belt as a courier, there is no way 99% are going to go drive truck working all night and weekends. I am tired of working the OT, but I am not alone in having to pull extra hours. It takes many months to train a new driver to obtain a license and multiple postings to get one hired.

New driver at our place will just just about at $19 and top out at $33. It will take you 20+ years to get to top out. If I was not topped out and was a new driver, I would stick around a bit for the experience and then start looking for other opportunities. After a couple $.45 cent raises guys/gals catch on pretty quick that top out is a pipedream.
I’m curious, what happened to the driver that failed the driver’s test three times? I’m guessing you mean at the DMV?

Aquaman

Not sure where you got your figures but you are incorrect. A topped out RTD is about $2.50 or so more than a topped out courier. Maybe a little more or less but way more than a dollar. Once you get a CDL, there is no difference in the A and B. Getting the A is a little harder due the pretrip. The DOT physical and the Haz recurrency test is the same. Swings, couriers and dispatchers in certain stations are on duty past midnight and later so once again, your assumptions are mostly incorrect. You must be a newhire or fairly new because your knowledge of salaries and job responsibilities and hrs is spotty at best. Having a Class A is bit more difficult but you act like you are on par with an aircraft mechanic and that isn't correct. You want to be the highest paid hourly in the company? You are dreaming. I would bet I was driving a cabover Ford pulling Federal Express trailers before you were hired, so I speak from experience.
Okay buddy, let’s assume I wasn’t referring to the top out pay that barely anybody makes lol. You’re as out of touch as a manager. Yes top out pay is more than a dollar more. I was referring to starting pay... you know the pay the bulk of express employees hover around. And getting a class B CDL IS WAY EASIER... a little harder due to the pre-trip??? There’s this thing called backing maneuvers and road test. In my state it’s a parallel park, 45 degree offset, and 90 degree back all with a 53 foot trailer. Then you go on road where you’re asked to identify road signs, bridge heights, take tight turns and do an emergency stop on the highway before returning. It’s quite a bit more specific and difficult than driving a 900 courier truck for a class B. I stand by my stance that RTD’s should be in a pay scale of their own, because like I said RTD’s have the most options for outside employment in the company. Yes even more options than aircraft mechanics.

vantexan

Back when you were driving a cabover Ford FedEx was a lot more generous in topping out employees faster. He's talking about what's going on now. A lot easier to fill courier positions than RTD's from what he's saying. If it's going to take forever to top out, and a RTD has gotten a couple years experience in at FedEx, then he has immediate opportunities in dozens, heck hundreds of companies to immediately improve his financial situation.