Express route bidding process

It will be fine

How does the bidding process work at Express? When a full time route becomes available how does a driver get assigned? As routes get recut based on volume how are geographic areas decided?

I’m trying to think of a way to “fairly” assign open routes. I don’t want drivers to luck into easier routes based on what was open when they were hired. How would you design or tweak the Express system to make it better?

MAKAVELI

How does the bidding process work at Express? When a full time route becomes available how does a driver get assigned? As routes get recut based on volume how are geographic areas decided?

I’m trying to think of a way to “fairly” assign open routes. I don’t want drivers to luck into easier routes based on what was open when they were hired. How would you design or tweak the Express system to make it better?
It's loosely based on seniority. Basically when a route becomes open or a new route created it " should be" open for bid by seniority. Some management don't always follow the proper policy but that's how it's supposed to be done.

It will be fine

It's loosely based on seniority. Basically when a route becomes open or a new route created it " should be" open for bid by seniority. Some management don't always follow the proper policy but that's how it's supposed to be done.
How do they describe it? Is there a map or zip code list or is it based on expected hours? How do drivers know if it’s desirable?

McFeely

Huge Member
How do they describe it? Is there a map or zip code list or is it based on expected hours? How do drivers know if it’s desirable?

At my station, they usually have a map provided by our engineer that shows the route boundaries and some general expectations for the route. Things like usual start time, what days of the week are scheduled, typical stop count, whether a pickup route is attached to the route or not.

When we have a route up for bid it is posted for one week. If nobody bids on it, the route is covered by swings until a new driver starts.

It will be fine

At my station, they usually have a map provided by our engineer that shows the route boundaries and some general expectations for the route. Things like usual start time, what days of the week are scheduled, typical stop count, whether a pickup route is attached to the route or not.

When we have a route up for bid it is posted for one week. If nobody bids on it, the route is covered by swings until a new driver starts.
Do you guys like that system? If someone takes the open route is that driver’s old route posted the same way? I could see it being an ordeal if a bunch of routes have to be posted a week at a time with drivers shuffling. Does that not really happen because people don’t really want to change unless it’s a big upgrade?

MAKAVELI

Do you guys like that system? If someone takes the open route is that driver’s old route posted the same way? I could see it being an ordeal if a bunch of routes have to be posted a week at a time with drivers shuffling. Does that not really happen because people don’t really want to change unless it’s a big upgrade?
It happens quite often these days with the turnover we have. But like @McFeely stated they will usually stick a swing on open routes until filled. If management follows policy it's a fair system.

McFeely

Huge Member
I’m happy with the system overall. We have had a route get bid on and then their route has to get backfilled, but it generally doesn’t affect too many routes. Almost anyone in the station knows or has heard the cons to any route in the station. I’m always surprised at how many people bitch about this or that on their current route but are too lazy to train on a new one. I’m on my 5th route and I’m glad I got it. Everyone who has ridden with me loves the area I’m in.

throwaway10

The system works when they follow policy, we've had new hires placed directly into newly vacant routes(some of which were highly sought after)

How do you know if a route is desirable or not:
if its desirable it's usually a high seniority driver running it.
if it's not desirable, someone with less than 5 yrs is on it.

generally speaking asking around will get you the answers, however if you are transferring in more than likely it's a route no one wants(assume the shuffle took place before you bid the route)

falcon back

I never saw the system people keep referring to with the senior people getting the best routes. I had good routes and bad routes and was always the senior person. I saw new hires get good routes and bad routes. Sometimes routes come open when a senior person was locked in with an offer letter and a newbie would get it by default.

It will be fine

The system works when they follow policy, we've had new hires placed directly into newly vacant routes(some of which were highly sought after)

How do you know if a route is desirable or not:
if its desirable it's usually a high seniority driver running it.
if it's not desirable, someone with less than 5 yrs is on it.

generally speaking asking around will get you the answers, however if you are transferring in more than likely it's a route no one wants(assume the shuffle took place before you bid the route)
Is there any recourse when the posting policy isn’t followed? Can a new hire get put on an open route while the bid process takes place?

It will be fine

I never saw the system people keep referring to with the senior people getting the best routes. I had good routes and bad routes and was always the senior person. I saw new hires get good routes and bad routes. Sometimes routes come open when a senior person was locked in with an offer letter and a newbie would get it by default.
How would you have liked route assignments to have been handled?

falcon back

How would you have liked route assignments to have been handled?
I never said I didn't like the way they were done. I have noticed people seem to post that the easier rts always went to senior people. I just stated I never saw that. I changed rts many times over the years. Some were good, some were bad. Other senior people had good rts, others had bad rts. I never associated seniority with the quality of rts UNLESS a good rt was posted and it went by seniority. Many people took a rt regardless of difficulty because of other factors. Getting to go home for lunch, earlier or later start or end time, working in a more desirable part of town. Posted rts usually go by seniority but some senior people just like their rts, good or bad.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Is there any recourse when the posting policy isn’t followed? Can a new hire get put on an open route while the bid process takes place?
Yes, there is recourse. One can call HR. And plenty of people have. Usually, they just leave a cover driver on an open route until filled. No need to confuse the new people. Normally new people are hired only after routes have been posted in station and company wide and no one wanted it. Express doesn’t like to have extra bodies standing around like UPS.

outtatime

The best route I ever had was one that nobody wanted after bidding and was run by the most senior guy in the station. The route was on the pull (only loaded one other truck next to it), started 1 mile from the station and about 10 square miles but filled a 900,mostly all p1's. However, the stops were very close together in business parks and there was no traffic at all on the whole route. Probably 70% business and 30% resi. Once p1's were done it was an easy day with mainly resi's left. The previous guy usually got back to the station between 1700-1800, after learning the route I was usually done shortly after 1400 going at a normal pace. So in this instance the route was run by a senior driver, but made to 'seem' like it sucked.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
The best route I ever had was one that nobody wanted after bidding and was run by the most senior guy in the station. The route was on the pull (only loaded one other truck next to it), started 1 mile from the station and about 10 square miles but filled a 900,mostly all p1's. However, the stops were very close together in business parks and there was no traffic at all on the whole route. Probably 70% business and 30% resi. Once p1's were done it was an easy day with mainly resi's left. The previous guy usually got back to the station between 1700-1800, after learning the route I was usually done shortly after 1400 going at a normal pace. So in this instance the route was run by a senior driver, but made to 'seem' like it sucked.
I had two routes like that long ago. I loved those routes! My 700 would be packed to the gills. I just went from loading dock to loading dock and they were 80% empty at 10:30. Everyone was scared of the routes because they looked bad. Piece of cake!

!Retired!

If the areas aren't posted anywhere, you can always ask the manager or engineer to print you a copy. I always knew a roue was desirable based on how many swing drivers put in for it.
The 2nd route should go up for bid the same way. I've never seen more than 1 driver give up a route for another. Usually the route being given up is a crappy one and it went to a swing that didn't want to swing anymore, or a new hire.
I had a PM route as part of a split-shift. A VERY easy PM route was given up and they wanted to give it to a new hire. I said I have seniority, I want it. Manager told "A route is a route is a route". I simply said, then there's no reason I shouldn't have first shot at it. All I got was the 'deer in headlights' stare.....but I also got the route.

Star B

White Lightening
I'm not going to speak for other stations but for our station, everyone knows, at minimum, the general area of any route.
If they don't know the detailed area, then you can always go to that loop (loops are the groups of routes loosely arranged by cities/areas of cities) and ask them where that route goes to....

and how do you tell if it's desireable? You go ask the swings group and see how they liked it and you can always ask the driver that bid off.... most of the time they'll tell you why they bid off of it and the pros and cons of it, and you can use the knowledge gained from asking the swings to see if it's reality or just the courier being a whiner.

We also have a hardcore group of Swings that don't want to get roped into any one routes so they will tell you their honest opinion on the areas.... yea, our station is kinda weird like that.