Express RTD to Feeder… worth it?

Aquaman

I’m currently a FedEx Express RTD with 15 years in. Have my own route. But still, not topped out. I’m currently making $27/hr. Have 4 weeks vacation plus 4 floaters/personal days & 5 sick days. I also have a family with 2 toddlers…. Well I have the opportunity to go permanent FT Feeder off the street. I know starting out I’m going to be on the on-call cover list. But with no seniority and every RPCD going feeder bumping me down, I realize I’m probably going to be on that list for a long time. It would initially be a pay cut going back down to $21/hr with who knows what kind of hours…. Being 33 years old, is this a move you guys would make? Or am I going to be on-call till I’m 50 years old. In 4 years I’d be topped out at UPS and making WAY more money. But is all that money worth it if my kids are going to be growing up without me. I know UPS is the way to go long term. What would current Feeders do?

quad decade guy

33.....ugh.

Here, the RPCD's still in pkg would be no factor as we go to the bottom with a new classification. They would not dovetail. Other places are different.

In fact, depending where you are, you could even be laid off(possible, don't know how probable). It took me about 3 years to get seniority. We have part-timers getting seniority at the finish of training(now).

You could put in 30 years and just be normal retirement age. You could think about it that way. So, given that......go for it.

Now, here on BC.....you should be retired already and have $1.746 million in the bank.....and working here would be for kicks...

I assume you would be making the move for retirement and insurance(good move).

Now, we have a contract coming up.....if that goes South.....you might be vulnerable(either way).

Lastly, I always walked through an open door and never turned down promotions(part-time to full time etc.). Keep in mind, it took me 14 years to get a feeder slot from RPCD. The opportunities right now are extraordinary. Personally, I think UPS is more vulnerable than Fed-Ex(because we are Union)(less flexible and more stupidly militant). 15 years in and you see no future...? Tell us more. Do you expect to work until, say 62 anyway you choose?

Aquaman

33.....ugh.

Here, the RPCD's still in pkg would be no factor as we go to the bottom with a new classification. They would not dovetail. Other places are different.

In fact, depending where you are, you could even be laid off(possible, don't know how probable). It took me about 3 years to get seniority. We have part-timers getting seniority at the finish of training(now).

You could put in 30 years and just be normal retirement age. You could think about it that way. So, given that......go for it.

Now, here on BC.....you should be retired already and have $1.746 million in the bank.....and working here would be for kicks...

I assume you would be making the move for retirement and insurance(good move).

Now, we have a contract coming up.....if that goes South.....you might be vulnerable(either way).

Lastly, I always walked through an open door and never turned down promotions(part-time to full time etc.). Keep in mind, it took me 14 years to get a feeder slot from RPCD. The opportunities right now are extraordinary. Personally, I think UPS is more vulnerable than Fed-Ex(because we are Union)(less flexible and more stupidly militant). 15 years in and you see no future...? Tell us more. Do you expect to work until, say 62 anyway you choose?
Well part of the frustration with Fedex is 15 years and $27/hr. I’m still $5 from top out with the company having complete freedom with how fast I get that $5. The appeal of Fedex (express) is home time… nothing else. I work just under 40 hours a week and see my kids a lot. But in this current economy and state of the country is it wise to sit stagnant at a company just to see my kids? Or chase the most money I can. Also Fedex is seperated into multiple branches that essentially compete against each other. Ground & Freight are a threat to Express. We’re an expensive premium option that also costs a fortune to run. The cheaper trucking options seem to be heavily favored by our CEO… When you say it took you 3 years to get seniority with part timers now getting seniority immediately what do you mean? I’m under the impression seniority is just your start date. What is considered getting seniority? Going full time?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Well part of the frustration with Fedex is 15 years and $27/hr. I’m still $5 from top out with the company having complete freedom with how fast I get that $5. The appeal of Fedex (express) is home time… nothing else. I work just under 40 hours a week and see my kids a lot. But in this current economy and state of the country is it wise to sit stagnant at a company just to see my kids? Or chase the most money I can. Also Fedex is seperated into multiple branches that essentially compete against each other. Ground & Freight are a threat to Express. We’re an expensive premium option that also costs a fortune to run. The cheaper trucking options seem to be heavily favored by our CEO… When you say it took you 3 years to get seniority with part timers now getting seniority immediately what do you mean? I’m under the impression seniority is just your start date. What is considered getting seniority? Going full time?
Don’t forget that UPS has much better (and cheaper) insurance and pension.

OrionIsDaddy

Feeders are home daily

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I know. I’d be going from consistent hours to a big question mark though. And even when I top out in 4 years I still have zero seniority. I understand paying your dues. But I also don’t want to be on-call for 10 years.
Might help out if you tell us what state your in so @542thruNthru can work his magic and find you the right contract so you can see if package car drivers can dovetail into feeder. Also maybe there’s someone here who works in that state who has an idea if you could get laid off, or how the job opportunities are. If you’re going to a feeder Dept that is hundreds of drivers you probably will have good opportunities…. Not so much for a Dept of 10-20 drivers. Fwiw…drivers will be in the 45+ range for the next contract…you get on and work 20-25 years and you will be leaving with a very good pension, especially if you are in the west. If you have any questions PM me. I would jump over from FedEx in a heartbeat if it was my decision.

Aquaman

Might help out if you tell us what state your in so @542thruNthru can work his magic and find you the right contract so you can see if package car drivers can dovetail into feeder. Also maybe there’s someone here who works in that state who has an idea if you could get laid off, or how the job opportunities are. If you’re going to a feeder Dept that is hundreds of drivers you probably will have good opportunities…. Not so much for a Dept of 10-20 drivers. Fwiw…drivers will be in the 45+ range for the next contract…you get on and work 20-25 years and you will be leaving with a very good pension, especially if you are in the west. If you have any questions PM me. I would jump over from FedEx in a heartbeat if it was my decision.
In Kentucky. From what I have seen it’s a big center. I know feeder is a desired job amongst UPS employees so most current employees making the move are probably going to have serious seniority. It’s a great job I’m sure… but is it a great job to START OUT in. Or am I going to be bottom of the barrel for 25 years being the one genius who came in off the street.

542thruNthru

giphy-136.gif

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Most places have a market rate adjustment so you will be making more then 27$
They have hired so many feeder drivers in the past few years guys are moving up quickly. If your in a hub with 200 drivers you will move up quickly. If your in a center with 10 drivers you will be on the bottom forever.

Shiftless

I may be out of date on some things having been retired for almost 17 years here in May. BUT!

Your comment in the above Quote "I work just under 40 hours a week and see my kids a lot. But in this current economy and state of the country is it wise to sit stagnant at a company just to see my kids? "

Feeder hours are NUTZ in general as most of the runs move the goods at night.

If I had ever had the opportunity to be there for my kids working a 40 hour week I would have been on that like nobody's business!!!!!!!!!! Wasn't in the cards for me or probably 95% of all Feeder driver's when I worked. Being the low man on the seniority list is going make your working experience and Family life very intense. If you are really into your kids and family life? Walk away from the BS Feeder life thoughts of grandeur and find something with your time off that mixes well with your family life!

Dos Centavo's

MAKAVELI

In Kentucky. From what I have seen it’s a big center. I know feeder is a desired job amongst UPS employees so most current employees making the move are probably going to have serious seniority. It’s a great job I’m sure… but is it a great job to START OUT in. Or am I going to be bottom of the barrel for 25 years being the one genius who came in off the street.
We don't see eye to eye on many political aspects but if I were you I'd do some serious research on transferring to an area with a lot more opportunities with a class A license. UPS and FedEx aren't the only game in town with that license.

Aquaman

I may be out of date on some things having been retired for almost 17 years here in May. BUT!

Your comment in the above Quote "I work just under 40 hours a week and see my kids a lot. But in this current economy and state of the country is it wise to sit stagnant at a company just to see my kids? "

Feeder hours are NUTZ in general as most of the runs move the goods at night.

If I had ever had the opportunity to be there for my kids working a 40 hour week I would have been on that like nobody's business!!!!!!!!!! Wasn't in the cards for me or probably 95% of all Feeder driver's when I worked. Being the low man on the seniority list is going make your working experience and Family life very intense. If you are really into your kids and family life? Walk away from the BS Feeder life thoughts of grandeur and find something with your time off that mixes well with your family life!

Dos Centavo's
Being there for my kids is very important to me. But doubling my income could give them a very different life… Would just be a life with less of me. What do they need more? A better school district? Or their dad around?

Shiftless

Being there for my kids is very important to me. But doubling my income could give them a very different life… Would just be a life with less of me. What do they need more? A better school district? Or their dad around?
These words>>>Would just be a life with less of me. What do they need more? A better school district? Or their dad around?

Trust me I'm nut for CHOICES! Ya gotta LOVE choice's!

Come back and tell us when you decide and or if you get the job? Put something up in a year so we can see how its goin!

Package Stick

"Send it."
I went into feedahs as a 21yo (still 21 haha), 7 months ago.

As it has been said, depending on your building you move up the list pretty quick. I have 6 below me, with 30+ being added this year.

Yeah on call sucks, but I've been bumping in getting my 40 lately. I'll 100% have a team bid this year if they add the runs, they've been talking about.

PreTrippin’

Getting drunk and falling down
I’m currently a FedEx Express RTD with 15 years in. Have my own route. But still, not topped out. I’m currently making $27/hr.
I stopped here, didn’t read anything anyone has said in this thread and lold my ass on down to the reply button. I feel pity for all fedex employees.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
I’m currently a FedEx Express RTD with 15 years in. Have my own route. But still, not topped out. I’m currently making $27/hr. Have 4 weeks vacation plus 4 floaters/personal days & 5 sick days. I also have a family with 2 toddlers…. Well I have the opportunity to go permanent FT Feeder off the street. I know starting out I’m going to be on the on-call cover list. But with no seniority and every RPCD going feeder bumping me down, I realize I’m probably going to be on that list for a long time. It would initially be a pay cut going back down to $21/hr with who knows what kind of hours…. Being 33 years old, is this a move you guys would make? Or am I going to be on-call till I’m 50 years old. In 4 years I’d be topped out at UPS and making WAY more money. But is all that money worth it if my kids are going to be growing up without me. I know UPS is the way to go long term. What would current Feeders do?
I work at a hub that currently has a bit above 550 feeder drivers so take this with a grain of salt. I have seen new drivers come up within the past year with less than one year part time seniority. They come on as part time cover feeder but every one of them will have a full time bid run in a year or less. We have a current goal for this year to bring up 90 (!!!!!) more feeder drivers. At my hub, if you came up now you wouldn’t be a bottom feeder for long and I’m in your region. Anything is possible but it entirely depends on the size of the hub and the need for growth. Good luck.

quad decade guy

Stay 30 and even better......20-25 not so great here and you take a penalty for being less than 57....$500 per month.

quad decade guy

Then don't become a feeder driver at UPS.

UPS doesn't care one iota about you or especially about your Family. Your personal time is far, far down the line of priorities at UPS. MGT works 60+ hours....you will too. MGT is poorly treated....so will you.

My income went up $30k from RPCD to Feeder. $1000 take home more when Sleepers.

Personal Time at UPS is an unknown commodity at UPS. Take this written in granite.