Express to beging tracking couriers?

dezguy

Heard it through the grapevine from a fairly reliable source that upper management is going to enable the GPS trackers in the powerpads up here. I was told they're going to start rolling it out in the next couple of months and that they've already done a test at a few stations throughout the country.

Personally, they can track me all they want, it'll be a pretty boring day for whomever is tasked with that job but if they're just going to continue to micromanage the crap out of the frontline employees, I see no reason not to unionize.

Used to be, there was a difference between UPS' management and Express. The more time goes on, the more they're starting to look the same.

CJinx

The GPS application in the STAR4 devices absolutely murders the battery. They'll need to supply you with extra batteries or the spare battery charging dock that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket.

dezguy

The GPS application in the STAR4 devices absolutely murders the battery. They'll need to supply you with extra batteries or the spare battery charging dock that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket.

We all carry a spare battery now. Been carrying spare batteries for years.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I can hear it now...
Mgr.: "Mr. 7, how come you were at xxx Main St. for 20 mins. yesterday and only made 1 stop there?"
7: "There's a real nice bathroom in that building."
Mgr.: "20 mins. to take a leak?"
7: "No, I had Mexican the night before."

hypo hanna

Isn't this what gap reports are for?

I could see this being useful if it gave real time plotting of where a driver is to dispatch. Kind of like radar for air traffic controllers. But no, this is fedex. the only result will be more expense and disruptions to customer service from dead batteries.

fedex_rtd

They have had GPS in the heavyweight trucks for years now, "IF" you have a dispatcher that has his/her act together it can be a real help, our rigs will bulk out fast depending on the customers and the routes, so having a dispatcher know what part of the county you are in, can really help when that other driver needs help. Also "IF" your manager at the DGO station knows how to access our system they can tell where their CTV is in relation to the station...but after dealing with DGO managers that is highly doubtful.

SmithBarney

Just line your pouch with tinfoil(or lead)... if you have any left over from your tinfoil hat.

The PPAD battery would last about 2-3 hours if real GPS tracking was on.
Now what they can do for stop accuracy(like UPS) is when you "stop complete" or POD the package, it will take a GPRS(utilizing cell tower info) location. Otherwise tracking just isn't in the picture right now. your "grapevine" is trying to make you worried, but if you are doing your job you have nothing to worry about...